100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the 100 mile club is full, but thought I would share my experience of getting over 100 miles in February with a 1 year old Leaf with > 30,000 km... and with over 1,600 m of climbing! My trip report is on my blog - http://kootenayevfamily.ca/trip-report-kelowna-and-back-part-3-and-the-last/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a member of the 100 Mile and 200 km club when I had relatively new car and good conditions, it was fun to try it again with 20,000 miles on the car, in the winter. success! On 12/23/14 and 12/24/14 I started at 100% (284 GID) and while running around doing last minute shopping got it to 100.1 miles with 6% left.

Didn't use much heat, but I needed the defroster towards the end and had the margin to make it.

small_20141224_183757.jpg

For anybody driving a Leaf S (in particular) you probably need to lower the range driven by ~2.3% due to the smaller outside diameter stock tires vs the tires used on the SL and SV models.

All tires wear, and smaller diameter means the odometer (and speedometer) are reading higher than they should.

NeilBlanchard said:
For anybody driving a Leaf S (in particular) you probably need to lower the range driven by ~2.3% due to the smaller outside diameter stock tires vs the tires used on the SL and SV models.

All tires wear, and smaller diameter means the odometer (and speedometer) are reading higher than they should.

Nissan doesn't adjust that for the S odometer? It seems hard to believe they wouldn't make that somewhat more accurate than over 2% error given how important the odometer readings are for legal purposes. That's a huge error.

I agree, especially since the mileage is what the lease is based on. I have measured my commute with my previous ICE car, and I have used GPS and Google Maps to confirm it as well. My e-Golf as well, shows the correct distance.

Is the 125-mile/200-km club still open? The last 20 miles took almost an hour(!), but I didn't need to be so cautious...

Friday April 24 start:
xQ00TG7.jpg

Sunday April 26 100-mile mark:
Ds1ywnB.jpg

Sunday Low-battery warning at 107.4:
KMqfKah.jpg

Sunday 125.1-mile mark:
UVb3xCI.jpg

Sunday final stop with 1 bar yet remaining!
TKQh0kN.jpg

LeafSpy shots from first 10 minutes of charging:
RoKCqlL.jpg

I have an S, but I hope if there's any uncertainty (regarding what NeilBlanchard said) that my reserve will still "prove" that I could have made it :). I might have had 10 miles left at my ending mi/kWh rate!

Just think, in a few years, these clubs will seem so quaint.

mbender said:
I have an S, but I hope if there's any uncertainty (regarding what NeilBlanchard said) that my reserve will still "prove" that I could have made it :). I might have had 10 miles left at my ending mi/kWh rate!

Considering most of the entries were early on before 17s were an option to compare to their numbers your S will probably be reading the same.

mbender said:
Is the 125-mile/200-km club still open? The last 20 miles took almost an hour(!), but I didn't need to be so cautious...

You are number 17 on the 200km list. Sadly, as the club is now full, you will not get our esteemed dinner jacket until one of our members drops dead, and then only if you apply in triplicate within 30 days of said death.

Failure to comply with the application process will result in disqualification. You will be notified of your membership status within 90 days of receiving your application.

Congratulations,

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

I drove almost 103 miles on a charge with ~12 miles left:

This is with the stock Ecopia tires again, and I checked the calibration, and for whatever reason it is over by less than before - now I reduce the mileage by 1.7%. (See my fuel log for details.)

And this is a big drop in the consumption in the warmer weather - down to just under 207Wh/mile or 162.8MPGe! Very nice indeed. The Leaf is a much better coaster than our e-Golf, with their respective tires. I am running the e-Golf's Continentals at 50PSI, and the Ecopias (and the Nokian Hakka R2 this winter) at 45PSI. The Leaf is likely higher aero drag than the e-Golf, so the difference in the tires seems to be the difference.

If you had kept driving at slower speeds you probably could have exceeded 200km, plus you could have found out how many miles are hidden at the bottom end of the charge.

I decided against pushing this beyond my actual drive. As it was, I needed to drive the last 2+ miles across town to an event with my daughter. And the next day I had to drive to work, which is ~26 miles round trip, so I just charged it.

I am happy to get the consumption down to ~207Wh/mile, and I think I am doing even better on this current charge.

ahagge said:
Count me in:
I don't think Tony will update me on page 1, but I just managed another 100+ mile day on my new 2015 "Lizard" battery in my 2011 LEAF:

• Northridge to Mission San Buenaventura and back
  • 108.6 miles, including about a mile in Turtle mode (all downhill - 1st time)
  • Starting temp: 58° F, ending temp: 63° F
  • Tire pressure: 42 PSI
  • Average speed was 24.3 MPH (moving speed was between 35 and 45 most of the time)
  • Miles per kWh was about 5.4 for the entire trip

At the start of the trip:
Screenshot_2015-05-16-07-12-40.png

At the end of the trip:
Screenshot_2015-05-16-12-41-29.png

Alas my phone battery died when I had about 10 miles to go, so I only had the blasted guess-o-meter (and the acceleration circles) to tell me when I was getting close to turtle mode. Sigh.

Honestly, I don't know HOW people get to 200 km and beyond. They must be on extremely flat roads with very little traffic, allowing them to go at or below 30 MPH. That's gotta be painful...

I drove another 100+ miles on a charge:

This one used 22.3kWh so slightly higher consumption than the previous, at ~211Wh/mile.

ahagge,

The best way to stretch the battery, beyond keeping it at or below 30, is to accelerate extremely slow. Literally, keep it at all times within the base singe blue dot (which take a while to hit 25, and won't maintain above 26-27 depending on street flatness).

DougWantsALeaf said:
I had kind of hoped by now there would a couple kits on the market. Everything I have seen on this board and other places is more POC.
I think it's probably hard to justify for a car with a battery that makes it essentially a 3 year throwaway.

GRA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I had kind of hoped by now there would a couple kits on the market. Everything I have seen on this board and other places is more POC.
I think it's probably hard to justify for a car with a battery that makes it essentially a 3 year throwaway.

3 years in hot places, sure. 10+ years in the Great North Wet.

Back