Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kubel said:
Is there any way to allow the screen to turn off if it's not connected, but turn on and stay on when connected?

"Stay awake" option seems to keep the screen awake even if it's not connected.
It might make better sense to have it work that way.

I will do some testing for a future release.

Turbo3 said:
kubel said:
Is there any way to allow the screen to turn off if it's not connected, but turn on and stay on when connected?

It might make better sense to have it work that way.

I will do some testing for a future release.

Great suggestion, it will save phone battery life if left on ie If you 'pop into' a store and don't go to the trouble of turning the app off.

Feature request:

A GID/SOC chart over distance and/or time, updated in real-time.

V Axis: Choose remaining GID or SOC.
H Axis: Choose time or distance since this app session began, or last N.

Why? This would give a visual trend line for the rate of decrease of remaining capacity. So I can see how the recent terrain, traffic, driving style affect the rate-of-consumption of power.

Thanks!

kubel said:

I can't speak for other phones, but the Kyocera eVent has a setting option for how long to leave the screen on. I set it for 15-20 secs so it turns off when the App isn't on.

Hi Turbo3,

your app is really nice, today I purchased the pro version and it does its job with the battery. But it seems not to work with number of quickcharges, number of normal charges and tire pressure. I've got a German Leaf from 2012 and of course I'm using the metric system. In Germany the pressure is measured in Bar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) not "psi", but maybe Nissan is using the "correct" unit Pascal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

It would be really nice, if you could check, if you just forgot to recalculate the "psi" values into metric values, or if the app don't see the values on CANBus since it is different with different regions the Leaf is sold.

Is there anything I can provide to give you the needed data from my Leaf?

leaf2leaf2leaf said:
Hi Turbo3,

your app is really nice, today I purchased the pro version and it does its job with the battery. But it seems not to work with number of quickcharges, number of normal charges and tire pressure. I've got a German Leaf from 2012 and of course I'm using the metric system. In Germany the pressure is measured in Bar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) not "psi", but maybe Nissan is using the "correct" unit Pascal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

It would be really nice, if you could check, if you just forgot to recalculate the "psi" values into metric values, or if the app don't see the values on CANBus since it is different with different regions the Leaf is sold.

Is there anything I can provide to give you the needed data from my Leaf?
First, it would be very helpful if you could send me an ELM trace so I can see if the CAN messages are any different on your Leaf from what I expect.

Start the app, go to Settings/Debug panel at the bottom and check the "Trace ELM" check-box, EXIT the app and then restart the app. On restart a message will flash bottom center. After the app gets connected select screen one with the QC and L1/L2 counts and stay there for about 20 seconds then move to screen 4 with the PSI readings and stay there for another 20 seconds. Exit the app and send me the TRC_*****.txt file located in LEAF_BT_CAN folder. Send the file to the email address listed in the About screen.

In the US the Leaf manual says the Tires should be at 36 PSI / 250 kPa. How does your manual list the pressure values? Are you saying the app is not showing any pressures or they are in PSI and you just want them in your units?

To all users of Leaf Spy:

Please consider contributing information on battery capacity loss (strongly preferred you have the P3227 update first if your Leaf is 2011 or 2012) to this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275&p=324533#p324533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The data is being used to help calibrate the Battery Aging Model. We have about 18 reports so far, but need a lot more. Thanks.

LEAFfan said:
kubel said:

I can't speak for other phones, but the Kyocera eVent has a setting option for how long to leave the screen on. I set it for 15-20 secs so it turns off when the App isn't on.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the phone always on, and the app always running, but using as little energy as possible. If the app turns the display on when it detects a connection, and turns it off when it doesn't, I can keep the phone mounted and running 24/7 without having to touch it at all. With the radio, wifi, and screen off and only bluetooth running, my phone can stay on (but idle) for days without needing a charge. My hope is to keep it plugged into the USB port on the LEAF for a charge when the car is running, then just run off battery while it's idle.

Turbo3 said:
leaf2leaf2leaf said:
I will do, as soon as I'm at work tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help! And no, there is no pressure at all, just "n/a" at all four tires.
Your Leaf does have the TPMS installed right?

All US LEAF models have TPMS. I do remember reading that LEAF's in some countries do not have TPMS installed as standard or maybe not available at all. Probably worth asking the dealer where the car was purchased if this option was included with the vehicle.

kubel said:
LEAFfan said:
kubel said:

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the phone always on, and the app always running, but using as little energy as possible. If the app turns the display on when it detects a connection, and turns it off when it doesn't, I can keep the phone mounted and running 24/7 without having to touch it at all. With the radio, wifi, and screen off and only bluetooth running, my phone can stay on (but idle) for days without needing a charge. My hope is to keep it plugged into the USB port on the LEAF for a charge when the car is running, then just run off battery while it's idle.

The LEAF USB port works well for charging phones. Have my LEAF Battery phone plugged into it and it keeps it topped up. Auto off would be truly awesome and cut-down on my start up/shutdown procedures. Sometime driving the LEAF resembles piloting a plane :)

kubel said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the phone always on, and the app always running, but using as little energy as possible.
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out the "Tasker" Android app. It allows you to use all kinds of criteria to control the phone's functions. I'm experimenting right now with the best way to start the app when the car is on... for example, by having Tasker detect the USB power or even the active Bluetooth connection.

An example of what Tasker can do: When USB power is detected, enable Bluetooth and launch the Leaf Spy app and keep the display always on. When USB power goes off, undo all that.

What I can't get it to do on my phone is to actually power the phone off.

Turbo3 said:

Today I asked my dealer, and the answer is NO, from 2014 new cars will need it by law, but not yet :(

So sorry, if I confused this, I didn't know.

But the pressure at least are the same as in U.S. 250kPa/2.5Bar/36psi, so I expect no trouble, when new Leaf-driver in 2014 will use your very good app!

ObiQuiet said:
kubel said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the phone always on, and the app always running, but using as little energy as possible.
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out the "Tasker" Android app. It allows you to use all kinds of criteria to control the phone's functions. I'm experimenting right now with the best way to start the app when the car is on... for example, by having Tasker detect the USB power or even the active Bluetooth connection.

An example of what Tasker can do: When USB power is detected, enable Bluetooth and launch the Leaf Spy app and keep the display always on. When USB power goes off, undo all that.

What I can't get it to do on my phone is to actually power the phone off.

Also, you can combine Tasker actions with NFC tags like Samsung TecTiles. I haven't had the time to program mine for Leaf Spy yet but I've used them for similar actions in the past. You could affix an NFC tag somewhere in the car then all you have to do is wave your phone across the tag to start the task.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nfc%20tags&sprefix=nfc+ta%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anfc%20tags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leaf2leaf2leaf said:
Turbo3 said:

Today I asked my dealer, and the answer is NO, from 2014 new cars will need it by law, but not yet :(

So sorry, if I confused this, I didn't know.

But the pressure at least are the same as in U.S. 250kPa/2.5Bar/36psi, so I expect no trouble, when new Leaf-driver in 2014 will use your very good app!
You also said the Quick and L1/L2 counts were not working. What about those?

Turbo3 said:
...You also said the Quick and L1/L2 counts were not working. What about those?

I've got a Samsung S3 and I always have it fixed portrait format, so my screen was different to all those screenshots, where "QC#XXX L1/L2#YYY" appeared. I just get "XXX/YYY" without any hint, what these numbers are. Now I've tried the landscape format and voila it looks like the screenshot I saw from your app.

Your app works like a charm, all things I thought it was an error, was just a fault by me :oops: ;-) Thanks a lot for your help and of course THANK YOU for the app, it is great!

For auto on and off I use the app "Setting Profiles" in the play store. I have one setting for when the phone is charging that it wakes from sleep, turns on Bluetooth, and opens the leaf spy app. Another setting/ profile for not charging, close leaf spy, and turn on airplane mode. The phone then sleeps in 15 seconds. Uses very little power when in standby. It is an option that works well for me. Also, this way there is no communication between the app/phone and ELM to drain the battery.

Turbo3 said:
You also said the Quick and L1/L2 counts were not working. What about those?

You're not referring to me, but L1/L2 and L3 always said zero for me when I had 0.26c. With Leaf Spy Pro I know see a reasonable number for L1/L2. QC says one, but I've never even seen a DCQC. There's a non zero chance the dealer quick-charged my car, though.

Back