Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Has anyone gotten Leaf Spy on a Kindle Fire?

I have someone who is having trouble and needs some help. He says he got Play Store installed but it won't let him download it.

Jim

Amazon have their own app store for Kindle. You'd want to be sure they are connecting to the Google app store and not the Kindle app store.

Probably covered someplace, but I missed it.

In the lower right connection status window, when connected I see two 2 digit numbers, rapidly changing. What the heck do they represent?

Thanks.

The two digit number is the index number of the current request being sent to the Leaf.

You can suppress displaying this number by going to Settings/Screen and checking the "Hide Connect Sts" check box.

The number is helpful if you have connection troubles.

========================

On the Kindle Fire issue I have just submitted Leaf Spy Lite to Amazon so it will show up in their version of Play Store. Waiting for approval.

Turbo3, great App, awesome job. I have a few feature requests for you. I also own your WattsLeft meter, so a few of my feature requests are based directly on what I'm missing with the app versus using the WL.

1. A timer. Before removing the WattsLeft and setting up Leaf Spy Pro, I was using the timer on the WattsLeft to essentially time how long my commute is each day. A simple timer, which starts counting when the app first connects to the car, preferably on screen #4 (viewable in either orientation), would be awesome.

2. A power meter/light. On the WattsLeft, there's a handy LED that flashes different colors based on how much power you are applying with the accelerator. It's a useful visual tool for when you're trying to increase your fuel economy. It would be awesome if something similar could be added to screen #4. It would be even more awesome if kW thresholds could be altered on the Settings page. For example, the user could set the light to be Green when at 1-15 kW, Blue for 16-20 kW, Yellow for 20-25 kW, and Red for anything over 26 kW.

3. An automatic DTE gauge. On screen #4, there is a Distance to Empty (DTE) gauge that calculates miles remaining based on the mi/kwh set by the user. Instead of setting it to a particular number, I'd like the option to have the app calculate my energy economy over the last mile, and use that number instead. Ideally this would continue to be recalculated for every mile driven, making the DTE gauge very accurate in the moment. I'm not sure how feasible this is, as I'm not sure if the app has access to that sort of information.

Thanks for considering these ideas!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, the app shows that I have done 0 Quick Charges, but I have done a grand total of one. I'm wondering why it wouldn't be counted correctly? The only thing I can think is that the QC I used is very underpowered, only about 8.9 kW (instead of the usual 40-50 kW), and I only used it for about 5 minutes.

NYLEAF said:
3. An automatic DTE gauge. On screen #4, there is a Distance to Empty (DTE) gauge that calculates miles remaining based on the mi/kwh set by the user. Instead of setting it to a particular number, I'd like the option to have the app calculate my energy economy over the last mile, and use that number instead. Ideally this would continue to be recalculated for every mile driven, making the DTE gauge very accurate in the moment. I'm not sure how feasible this is, as I'm not sure if the app has access to that sort of information.

That's similar to how the LEAF's GOM dash DTE works, which most folks do not trust. Don't see a reason to duplicate functionality. I prefer the way it works right now.

If you try to implement an auto-DTE, making the integration
window user-selectable in length, would make it able to satisfy
more people. Select miles or time, and short to long interval.

Perhaps select miles from 0.1 to perhaps 5 or 10, or allow time
selection from about 10 seconds to about 300 or 600 seconds.

Myself, I would almost always choose the shortest interval, to
get an "If you continue driving like you are right now, your
estimate is 37.6 miles. " type of reading.

But, others would want longer intervals, I suspect.

Are you still planning to implement Clearing the Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

This will be very useful in the mini-QC development that we are doing.

Of course, if you could clear them just one at a time, allowing selection
of which to clear, that would be optimal. However, clearing the group
of codes associated with one selected Control Unit would still be very
helpful.

Being able to copy the DTC list to a "LSNotes.txt" file, headed with a
date, time, odometer,VIN type of heading would be very useful.

That way, if one happened to clear some important DTC, there would
be a record of the codes. Or, even with no clearing of codes, it would
save manually making a copy of the data.

Or, perhaps an automatic DTC-save to the file whenever the clear
function is used, with the before and after clear data.

Then, a manual save could also be provided when clearing is not needed.

Cheers, Gary

Random thoughts:

Eventually, I could use a little Bluetooth receipt printer
and print out any LEAF's trouble codes for a friend.

Or, perhaps be able to print out a black and white copy of any screen.
That would be rather cool, if the printer had enough resolution...

Maybe a Bluetooth print server and use screen-capture and some
print-picture functions that might already be there in the Android.

Does anybody have experience with using printers to print pictures
from an Android device?

I print documents and Web sites via the WiFi to a Brother printer,
but I have not tried Bluetooth connected printers.

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
If you try to implement an auto-DTE, making the integration
window user-selectable in length, would make it able to satisfy
more people. Select miles or time, and short to long interval.

Perhaps select miles from 0.1 to perhaps 5 or 10, or allow time
selection from about 10 seconds to about 300 or 600 seconds.

Myself, I would almost always choose the shortest interval, to
get an "If you continue driving like you are right now, your
estimate is 37.6 miles. " type of reading.

But, others would want longer intervals, I suspect.

Yes, this is exactly what I was suggesting. I think this would be superior to the Leaf's built in GOM/DTE because it would still allow the user to select the reserve. I much prefer seeing how many miles I have left until LBW, as compared to the GOM which seems to show miles left until dead (when it's operating correctly at all).

On ver 0.28.8 the Whs used resets every time, I turn on the car. I like to reset it after I charge, I hope this is a bug, not a feature. :cool:

Resetting "Wh used" when the app first starts has been there for a while. If you don't exit the app but switch away if won't reset. Then just tap the app icon to come back.

I am in the process of adding the ability to select Wh per Gid instead of just using 80 Wh (Tony Williams request). So I can look into adding a check box for Reset "Wh used" on program startup.

TonyWilliams said:
NYLEAF said:
I much prefer seeing how many miles I have left until LBW, as compared to the GOM which seems to show miles left until dead (when it's operating correctly at all).

The app already has this option.

Right, I know. I meant in conjunction with the feature I suggested, which was auto-DTE.

Leaf Spy Lite is now available on Amazon for the Kindle Fire HD.

If you have one please install and report back.

Amazon reported that it fails on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 WAN and Wifi versions when you change from portrait to landscape mode. Would be interested in knowing if any error box comes up and what it said.

If this works I will also submit Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro to Amazon.

NYLEAF said:
1. A timer. Before removing the WattsLeft and setting up Leaf Spy Pro, I was using the timer on the WattsLeft to essentially time how long my commute is each day. A simple timer, which starts counting when the app first connects to the car, preferably on screen #4 (viewable in either orientation), would be awesome.

The car has a timer/miles traveled already on your dash. Why can't you use this one?

LEAFfan said:
NYLEAF said:

The car has a timer/miles traveled already on your dash. Why can't you use this one?

I agree, duplicating functionality already in the vehicle isn't the best use of this great app. It exists because the existing instruments are vague and misleading, let's not make this app the same :!:

Waze records distance, route and time taken for trips and keeps a historical record on a map. I find that very useful/informative.

I'll try the Leaf's built in timer and see if that works for me. I was just suggesting it because it was built into Turbo's other product, WattsLeft, and I liked it. My main concern with using the one on the dash is that I'll have to switch between the timer screen and the Energy Economy screen, which is what I usually keep open...but I'm sure I'll manage.

I have a Kindle Fire HD 7", I'll test it out and see how it works.

Turbo3 said:
Resetting "Wh used" when the app first starts has been there for a while. If you don't exit the app but switch away if won't reset. Then just tap the app icon to come back.

I am in the process of adding the ability to select Wh per Gid instead of just using 80 Wh (Tony Williams request). So I can look into adding a check box for Reset "Wh used" on program startup.
Add me to the user base who would like to see this functionality added. I like being able to call the shots on when the "Wh Used" number resets :)

Yeah, personally I prefer to use 75 watts per Gid...

Turbo3 said:

Back