battery SOH reset?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trilobite

I'm new to the forum and am in the market for a used Leaf. I understand that the 30kW-Hr models had a BMS update from Nissan that, if applied, will reset the battery SOH statistics. How would a prospective buyer then evaluate battery health? Do I need to do an extended test drive to check real-world battery run down?

Is LeafSpy SOH really only useful for 24kW-Hr batteries now?

I may move this to an existing topic, later. Yes, the only 100% reliable way to gauge battery capacity is with a range test, although it can be based on a relatively short distance like 10 miles. This is also true of the 24kwh packs. It is also helpful, obviously, to get the service record to find out when, and if, the BMS update was done. The best bet with a 30kwh pack is to find one that has had NO update, but that has 12 (or 11, now, for a 2016) remaining capacity bars.

Battery must be above 15*C (at least 4 bars) for SOH to update.
Just charge 100% and discharge to turtle few times.
If SOH changes a lot... it need... more of that cycling.
DC charging usually speeds up SOH update. And often RAISES 1-2% temporarily (week).

You can also do a range test in which you drive the car 10 or 20 miles. You then compare the projected (using the % SOC display) range with the displayed bars. For example, if you go 10 miles and use 25% of the charge in normal driving, you can assume that 12 bars displayed is false, indicating a BMS reset. This is less accurate, but is more likely to be possible with a car up for sale by a private owner.

SOC meter is not linear so anything other than a full charge/discharge will have a degree of error.

As far what you heard? You heard it a bit inaccurately. The LBC had a programming error which resulted in its reporting false degradation to the BMS. The error was corrected in the SW upgrade. Getting the SW upgrade is HIGHLY recommended simply because the BMS will only use the part of battery the LBC reports as good. Now this only applies to 30 kwh packs.

Now, there are several things that will cause a BMS reset (where lost capacity bars return temporarily) and the LBC SW update is one of them but the capacity and ability to use the capacity is updated rapidly in that particular instance. Its all but instantaneous.

The thing you want to watch for is some processes where the BMS gets reset and for whatever reason, can take weeks before the BMS reads the pack correctly. I have no idea why. None of it makes sense to me.

As far what you heard? You heard it a bit inaccurately. The LBC had a programming error which resulted in its reporting false degradation to the BMS. The error was corrected in the SW upgrade. Getting the SW upgrade is HIGHLY recommended simply because the BMS will only use the part of battery the LBC reports as good. Now this only applies to 30 kwh packs.

The OP described the situation accurately. Your version I consider to be less accurate, because it implies both that there is no other problem with the 30kwh packs and that the BMS update always solves the problem of accelerated capacity loss when it is applied. By now it's become clear that neither of those assumptions are true. Some 30kwh packs had just the inaccurate BMS programming, while a significant number of others have suffered real, rapid degradation even after the BMS update was applied. The 30kwh packs have TWO issues, not one, and the BMS update only solves one of them. I continue to give the same advice to those looking for a good 30kwh Leaf: if the car has never had the BMS update but still has 12 or 11 bars, the pack is one of the good ones. If it has had the BMS update at least six months ago, and still has 12 or 11 bars, it is a good pack. Those cars that had the BMS update recently can only be verified good by a range test or a charge capacity test, unless they have already lost two or more bars since the update. In that case they have bad packs.

LeftieBiker said:

The OP described the situation accurately. Your version I consider to be less accurate, because it implies both that there is no other problem with the 30kwh packs and that the BMS update always solves the problem of accelerated capacity loss when it is applied. By now it's become clear that neither of those assumptions are true. Some 30kwh packs had just the inaccurate BMS programming, while a significant number of others have suffered real, rapid degradation even after the BMS update was applied. The 30kwh packs have TWO issues, not one, and the BMS update only solves one of them. I continue to give the same advice to those looking for a good 30kwh Leaf: if the car has never had the BMS update but still has 12 or 11 bars, the pack is one of the good ones. If it has had the BMS update at least six months ago, and still has 12 or 11 bars, it is a good pack. Those cars that had the BMS update recently can only be verified good by a range test or a charge capacity test, unless they have already lost two or more bars since the update. In that case they have bad packs.

whatever

Back