Compatibility of 2015 Nissan Leaf with 7 kW pod point home charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starpatch

Hi, have installed 7kW podpoint home charger which pod point stated was compatible with my 2015 Nissan Leaf. I am just a bit concerned as I have noticed battery degradation (12 bar to 11 bar and irregularity of available mileage drop during the journey) only 3 weeks after I started to use this. I haven't been using the app just plugging the charger straight in. Be grateful if anyone could confirm that they are compatible? Is adjusting the charge voltage a thing if I sort out the app?

With thanks

The J-1772 standard used by all L-1 & L-2 charging stations is pretty rugged and consistent. Either the capacity bar loss is a coincidence, or the BMS was reset before you bought the car, causing it to give a false 12 bar reading that is now being corrected as the BMS relearns the actual capacity. If that is the case, my condolences. If you lose another bar, you may have grounds for legal action. (This is assuming that you bought the car recently. If not, then it's a coincidence.)

Need a LOT more information to answer this question.
How old is the car...how many miles does it have...what climate do you live in...

The EVSE is fine, and compatible. It is not having any negative effect on your car.

You cannot change the charging voltage. Some EVs (not the LEAF) let you set the amperage, as do some EVSE. It's fine the way it is.

starpatch said:
Is adjusting the charge voltage a thing if I sort out the app?
With thanks

The EVSE delivers AC power from your house wiring to the car. The car converts it into DC to charge the battery pack. The DC voltage is set by the vehicle's design as appropriate based on the battery design. Adjusting that voltage is not a thing.

If you're talking about wall voltage (AC), that will be 120V (Level 1) or 240V (Level 2) based on the EVSE and whether it supports Level 1 or Level 2 (or both).

starpatch said:
Hi, have installed 7kW podpoint home charger which pod point stated was compatible with my 2015 Nissan Leaf. I am just a bit concerned as I have noticed battery degradation (12 bar to 11 bar and irregularity of available mileage drop during the journey) only 3 weeks after I started to use this

It's almost certainly coincidence, so stop worrying. Your 2015 is at least 6 years old now, so dropping a bar at this stage is pretty normal (in fact, it's an indicator of a decent pack, as many 2015s dropped a bar awhile ago). However, if you drop another one over the next couple of months, then that's an indicator that the BMS was reset (fraud), as LeftieBiker mentioned already.

Thank you for all the replies. I am reassured and can stop charging out the window! :D Thanks for the information about the possible bar resetting I will keep that in mind.

Back