How far can I go until the car slows?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gringostar

Twice already I've pushed it. I drove the car under 20% and had about 15 miles left. Once the milage stated - - - - I don't like to do this but it happens. Will the car eventually automatically slow to 5 mph? When will this happen? I drive a 2013 model S. Thank you.

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-nissan-leaf-driving-it-to-the-bitter-end.html has a video of a Leaf driven until dead. The % state of charge display didn't arrive until model year '13.

If you really like driving around near the bottom, you should get Leaf Spy (and OBD2 dongle compatible w/Leaf Spy the version for your phone OS). The % SoC display can go from around 5 or 6% to ---%. I've been there. :/ You may not see 5, 4, 3, 2, 1%.

IIRC, there's LBW (low battery warning), Very LBW (VLBW), turtle then dead. I think the GOM becomes --- miles at VLBW.

By using a combination of ECO mode, never exceeding three "acceleration" bubbles, and liberal use of neutral coasting, you can eek out almost 10 miles before the turtle makes an appearance 🐢

Having said that, turtle mode isn't good for the pack. But it's good to know that, when you see those dashes, you usually have enough range to get to the nearest DC charger or L2.

Back