cyellen
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0613

Power Fault error - big red screen

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:21 am

This is the second week in a row that my Blink has experienced a Power Fault error. I wake up to a bright red screen and a series of beeps from the unit. The car hasn't charged, and of course, because of the error, I get no message/text to indicate that anything is wrong. I'll be limping home from work tonight - can't wait for that.

Is there anything I can do to avoid the power fault problem or is it just a function of the power supply to the house/APS? I am little unsure of what it really means.

On a related note, when I powered the car on, it showed a PS error - the same power error I saw way back during the whole A/C snafu. I was ready to blow a gasket, but powering her off and waiting a bit seemed to solve whatever problem was going on. She recovered fine, started again and I was on my way. Not sure which came first - the error from the car or the error on the Blink, but I assume they are related.

Any advice?
Glacier White SL-EV delivered 3/23/2011 in Phoenix, AZ
VIN: 000613
EVProject Participant: Blink installed 3/21/2011

walterbays
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Power Fault error - big red screen

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 am

Call and/or email Blink. They're pretty responsive. If you haven't had your SD card replaced they will probably send someone out to do that. I'm not sure that's the whole fix, as I've had a few incidents since they replaced mine. But no more big red (orange-red?) screens. And in recent weeks I've had no incidents and have reached the point where I'm willing to trust the Blink to start charging on timer without supervision again.

TonyWilliams

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am

cyellen wrote:Is there anything I can do to avoid the power fault problem.......
Any advice?
Buy a Leviton, AV, or any number of really "dumb" EVSE's.

linkim

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

walterbays wrote:Call and/or email Blink. They're pretty responsive. If you haven't had your SD card replaced they will probably send someone out to do that. I'm not sure that's the whole fix, as I've had a few incidents since they replaced mine. But no more big red (orange-red?) screens. And in recent weeks I've had no incidents and have reached the point where I'm willing to trust the Blink to start charging on timer without supervision again.
Depends what your definition of responsive is. I waited about 1 month for replacement of SD card. In the meantime, when I saw these red or orange Blink error messages, I rebooted the unit and could charge. However, the log of the charging events is very difficult to decipher. The only log I now see is about the first month (April-May) of charging dates and energy (kWh) consumed. I was told that Blink is updating their software. When I have some free time, I will contact Blink to see what my problem is.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

TonyWilliams

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 am

linkim wrote:The only log I now see is about the first month (April-May) of charging dates and energy (kWh) consumed. I was told that Blink is updating their software. When I have some free time, I will contact Blink to see what my problem is.
Same problem. Tired of calling them.

Every time I go to Balboa park, there is a Blink not working. This past Saturday, not only was one not working, but with was making weird noises!

Plus, no contact info on the units to report them.

We truly are Beta testers.

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Cyellen,
I am having similar problems with my Blink. The problems started a few weeks ago, right about the time version 1.5 came out. I called Blink and they sent out Secon Electric (the installer) to check it out. The tech replaced my SD card and installed a powerline device in order to keep my internet connectivity up. I thought everything was OK but then got the big red squawking screen about a week later. The Secon tech came out at 6 am to check it out and found the car had failed to charge the night before and I had the big red squawking screen again. He couldn't find anything wrong and got on the phone with Blink. I heard the rep there say "I don't want to deal with this, just replace it." But the Blink rep later decided they would analyze my error log to see if they could discover the problem.

Next day I got an e-mail from Blink asking if I had a pool or spa or any large motors that come on in the middle of the night (I have my car timer set to come on at 3 am since that was the coolest part of the day in my garage during the summer). I do have a pool pump that comes on at approx. 2 am but they have not said that is the problem.

That all happened earlier this week. They said they would let me know what their engineers determine.

So far I have been unable to use the car on three occasions because the Blink failed.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015
2018 Tesla Model 3 received 4/27/2018

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 pm

I had that happen once when LADWP was losing a power transformer feeder and creating spikes and sags on the line.
It hadn't happened before, and hasn't happened again since they replaced the feeder.
cyellen wrote:This is the second week in a row that my Blink has experienced a Power Fault error. I wake up to a bright red screen and a series of beeps from the unit. The car hasn't charged, and of course, because of the error, I get no message/text to indicate that anything is wrong. I'll be limping home from work tonight - can't wait for that.

Is there anything I can do to avoid the power fault problem or is it just a function of the power supply to the house/APS? I am little unsure of what it really means.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

davewill

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:37 pm

It seems tied to the 1.7 release. I've had it happen twice since it came out. I contacted support both times, and they said they were working on it and to call if it keeps happening. It's been over a month since the last time.
Last edited by davewill on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Are you sure about that? 1.7 is current.

davewill wrote:It seems tied to the 1.5 release. I've had it happen twice since it came out. I contacted support both times, and they said they were working on it and to call if it keeps happening. It's been over a month since the last time.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 pm

cyellen wrote:This is the second week in a row that my Blink has experienced a Power Fault error. I wake up to a bright red screen and a series of beeps from the unit. The car hasn't charged, and of course, because of the error, I get no message/text to indicate that anything is wrong. I'll be limping home from work tonight - can't wait for that.
Many of our customers order our upgrade as a "backup" for their Blink, so when it's on the "Blink", you can still drive to work.

FYI: From my testing the Power Fault error is what happens when the GFCI is triggered. It's probably set too sensitive on their unit, and in any event, it should at least automatically attempt to recover like all other EVSE's do. Are you listening Ecotality?!?

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Return to “Blink”