Blink charging efficiency - share your experiences

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 770

Question for the collective: For those of you who might be tracking such things, what do you find the discrepancies to be between the LEAF's "Electricity Consumption" and the Blink's "Total Energy"? In other words, how much is the loss between what the LEAF and the Blink are reporting?

In my case, that number seems to be almost 40%. In other words, if the LEAF reports 7 kWh used to go a certain distance, the Blink reports around 11 kWh used to charge.

So for me, the Blink is only about 60%-65% efficient. If you're tracking your numbers, what are you seeing?

BTW, my calculations are from what CarWings reports as "Electricity Consumption" and what the Blink reports in its "Charges" tab (within "My Chargers").

The Blink really does not enter in to the efficiency equation at all. Like all other EVSEs, all it is is a fancy relay that closes to present power to the vehicle. Thus, it's efficiency is pretty darn close to 100 percent, just slight wire losses...

ahagge said:
Question for the collective: For those of you who might be tracking such things, what do you find the discrepancies to be between the LEAF's "Electricity Consumption" and the Blink's "Total Energy"? In other words, how much is the loss between what the LEAF and the Blink are reporting?

In my case, that number seems to be almost 40%. In other words, if the LEAF reports 7 kWh used to go a certain distance, the Blink reports around 11 kWh used to charge.

So for me, the Blink is only about 60%-65% efficient. If you're tracking your numbers, what are you seeing?

BTW, my calculations are from what CarWings reports as "Electricity Consumption" and what the Blink reports in its "Charges" tab (within "My Chargers").

mogur said:
The Blink really does not enter in to the efficiency equation at all. Like all other EVSEs, all it is is a fancy relay that closes to present power to the vehicle. Thus, it's efficiency is pretty darn close to 100 percent, just slight wire losses...
Assuming that this is correct, then what's a reasonable explanation for the significant discrepancy between what the LEAF reports as "energy consumption" and what the Blink EVSE reports as "Total Energy"? Is it the LEAF's onboard inverter, and if so, shouldn't CarWings report the total energy consumed (including these losses)? Otherwise it's an unrealistic number for a wall-to-wheels calculation, which I'd think is what most people would want to know.

In every case where I've charged to the same level as the prior day, the EVSE is reporting 50% more total energy used to charge the batteries than the LEAF is reporting that it used to drive the distance.

Is one of the numbers untrustworthy? And if so, which one is it? I guess only someone with a third measuring device (a separate meter or a TED or equivalent) could tell us for sure. Anybody willing to conduct an experiment?

The inefficiency is in the charging system in the vehicle. It is about 85 percent efficient. I and others have recorded the power used for charging many times with TED and other devices and that is documented in a number of threads on this board. Oh, and ignore anything that Carwings tells you: It is known to be wildly inaccurate.

ahagge said:
mogur said:
Assuming that this is correct, then what's a reasonable explanation for the significant discrepancy between what the LEAF reports as "energy consumption" and what the Blink EVSE reports as "Total Energy"? Is it the LEAF's onboard inverter, and if so, shouldn't CarWings report the total energy consumed (including these losses)? Otherwise it's an unrealistic number for a wall-to-wheels calculation, which I'd think is what most people would want to know.

In every case where I've charged to the same level as the prior day, the EVSE is reporting 50% more total energy used to charge the batteries than the LEAF is reporting that it used to drive the distance.

Is one of the numbers untrustworthy? And if so, which one is it? I guess only someone with a third measuring device (a separate meter or a TED or equivalent) could tell us for sure. Anybody willing to conduct an experiment?

Don't forget that the leaf regenerats electricity when you are going down hill or breaking. When I went to my Nissan Owners website and checked CARWINGS/Driving History/Electric Rate Simulation, I was surprised that the regen was showing about so high.

For 75 trips in July,

Consumption 94.3 kWh
Regeneration 27.4 kWh
Total 66.9 kWh

Separately, I was told by Blink, that the Blink EVSE uses about 49 watts while plugged in so that is why I have a discrepancy between the kWH on my blink and my SDG&E Meter in San Diego. Keeping it plugged in is part of the agreement so that they can do firmware upgrades and other things as needed remotely during the day/night.

Actually, it is much less than that. With the screen on it is about 12 watts (depending on screen brightness setting). With the screen off it is about 7 watts. This has been confirmed by measurements by many, myself included.
Again, this information is already in a number of threads here on the board...

lkkms2 said:
Separately, I was told by Blink, that the Blink EVSE uses about 49 watts while plugged in so that is why I have a discrepancy between the kWH on my blink and my SDG&E Meter in San Diego. Keeping it plugged in is part of the agreement so that they can do firmware upgrades and other things as needed remotely during the day/night.

So 7 watts x 24 hrs x 30 days = 5KWH lost a month to Blink standby power alone? My peak summer rate is $0.21/kwh so it's about $1/month to operate the Blink. Not too bad, I guess...

Back