Blink charger problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonpara

I have a reoccuring problem with my Blink charger. When I plug the car, the charger will cycle between the "ready to charge" page and the "not charging" page over and over. The first time it occured I spent time with the help line and eventually after several restarts and other combinations of the car and charger, the problem went away. The next time it occured the installer had to come out and install a new card in the charger. They thought it was a firmware problem. Last night it happened again. This time the.help line says it is known conflict that happens when you overide the timer. The signals then between the car and charger get confused. But I also tried to turn off my charge timers and immediate charge and that didnt work either. It appears to me that once you get the error in the charger that there is no easy way to reset it.

On my Blink, if I have the charger set, when I connect, it says charging, then not charging. A couple times, I have needed to charge right away, so I unplug my car from the Blink, turn off the timer in the car, hit that timer off button on the lower left of the driver's side console, and then plug in the blink. Seems to work so far.

I did have a major problem with my Blink when it was first installed. The installer by mistake cut power to the unit while it was updating firmware. The system had major problems and I had to power cycle it twice every day just to get it to charge my car. I didn't have range anxiety, I had charger anxiety.

They came out and replaced the entire unit in order to make it work. Now it works fine.

Today my Blink charger gave itself a password.

I used to be able to access it via Web (with the clock one hour off), but now it prompts for a password that I never set.

Why does it feel like this product entirely skipped Beta test on the way to my garage..

GroundLoop said:

I used to be able to access it via Web (with the clock one hour off), but now it prompts for a password that I never set.

Why does it feel like this product entirely skipped Beta test on the way to my garage..
If you are referring to web access via the intranet ip 10.233.1.100 the default password is blinkadmin. It might have been reset if it powered down, you reset to factory options, or updated firmware. An easier way to update/access the EVSE is via the Blink web site not the ip interface.

No sooner had I said my new Blink works fine then I went outside and found it said it had charged my car for 19 hours. I tried stopping and disconnecting it. The Blink screen said "processing." I left in my Leaf to run errands, came back 3 hours later and found the screen said the Blink was still charging my car and had been for the last 22 hours. Anybody else have this problem?

If the lights on the dash are blinking does that mean it is charging the Leaf ? My Blink charger says it is not charging the Leaf but a light is blinking on the dash..Blink says to check the charging status in the car..I see a green cord lit on the dash that is flashing ..I guess Ill find out tomorrow if it got charged or not....

If a specific single blue light is flashing (the left-most one when viewing from the outside and front of the car) it means the car is charging, and less than 1/3 full. If it's the middle- or right-most blue light flashing, while the one or two to its left are solid ON, then the car is also charging, and working on filling the 2nd or final 3rd of battery capacity.

If, however, a single flashing blue light slowly and continuously cycles thru the available three blue lights, it means the car is waiting for a timed-charge and has not yet started charging.

Looks like my Blink charger needs help..Its 3 weeks old and the digital readout does not change..It just says NOT CHARGING even when it is charging :(
Ill give the company a call Wed..

mark13 said:
Looks like my Blink charger needs help..Its 3 weeks old and the digital readout does not change..It just says NOT CHARGING even when it is charging :(
Ill give the company a call Wed..
You need the update to 1.5a should fix that problem

GroundLoop said:

Based on what I've read about the Blink's being on the blink since they rolled out I would venture that saying they skipped Beta testing is being way too generous.

I would move that they shortchanged their component testing (when you have the individual pieces of software being built and tested prior to putting them together), shortchanged integration testing (putting everything together and verifying expected functionality works) and Alpha testing as well.

The poor customers are getting to live the experience of very poor software development processes where large parts of the expected functionality are made to work after rollout of a hardware based product.

I saw my first Blink error tonight. It kept charging despite the error and after flipping the breaker on and off, it seems to be back to normal. Here is the error:
20110528%20999%28small%29.JPG

"EVSE HTTP Status code 502 received."

There is talk that the "poor customer" is not getting what they paid for. Looking at the locations in the profile section; at appears that most of the "poor customers" did not pay for the system-it was a freebee based on thier location on earth and it seems that the "poor customer" got what they paid for; a chance to be part of huge beta testing pool.

Got to say, should some kindhearted, Level 2 EVCS producer like to grant me a free system to test out, I would jump at the opprotunity.

Do hope, in all sincerity, that the new software is a winner!

I had a weird thing happen last night. My timer is set to start charging at midnight (no real reason except for 80% - I don't have time of day)

The car was 14% when I plugged it in and when I got there in the morning I had a little panic as it said it only charged for 30 minutes from like 2:34am to 3 something... but I had a full 80% charge when I powered the car on.

Did the charge get interrupted somehow and it restarted?

cdub said:
Did the charge get interrupted somehow and it restarted?
Very likely. I have the notifications turned on, and have seen multiple charge events a few times. I contacted Blink support and they said,
I am wondering if a proper power cycle was performed following the installation of the latest firmware update. It should have performed a single ‘soft reboot’ of the device following its installation, but there have been reports that it has frozen instead, or that it appears to have performed the necessary reboot but then acts oddly.
We’d like to start with a proper power cycle. We can either unplug the unit or trip the switch… PLEASE make sure that the charging hose is not connected to the vehicle as you are doing this.
Allow the charger to sit unpowered for 2-3 minutes. After restoring power, it will ask you to recalibrate the device and re-connect to your network.
So, I did. Nothing appeared different to me, afterwards, but I haven't had a recurrence since then.

This just happened about a half hour ago: We were in the house when I heard the garage door go up. I believe something with the Blink caused this because we've never had that happen before. And when we came home today, after the garage door went up, I saw the Blink come on all by itself from 'sleep' mode. Also, there was a 'hum' on our phone line most of the day during calls. Anyone else experience anything like this? Of course I called their 24/7 cs.

Just got an e-mail from blink reminding me to upgrade the firmware. I don't think it's been done yet so I'll try that tonight.

cdub said:
Just got an e-mail from blink reminding me to upgrade the firmware. I don't think it's been done yet so I'll try that tonight.
That's interesting.

I also got an email from Blink reminding me to update my firmware... for an EVSE that hopefully will be installed sometime this August! Makes me feel like they really know their users well. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Glenn

Back