davewill

Re: Charging Interrupt By Utility?

Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 am

TEG wrote:If the utility had nothing to do with the delayed restart then they should change the message!
If it happens every time the unit has a crash/restart (or firmware upgrade?) then they message ought to be more like:
"Charging temporarily delayed after system restart."

The way it is worded now it makes it sound like the utility did it.
They probably have no way to tell an external power interruption from an unexpected, spontaneous reboot bug.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm

How about " I am on the blink ... please be patient until I feel better and can resume charging your precious innovative zero emissions vehicle. "
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 pm

From where do they pull that info?
whoami wrote:Do you know they also cache your lat/long and ship it back to the mothership? I just found this nugget today.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

TEG

Mon May 23, 2011 12:35 pm

davewill wrote:
TEG wrote:If the utility had nothing to do with the delayed restart then they should change the message!
If it happens every time the unit has a crash/restart (or firmware upgrade?) then they message ought to be more like:
"Charging temporarily delayed after system restart."

The way it is worded now it makes it sound like the utility did it.
They probably have no way to tell an external power interruption from an unexpected, spontaneous reboot bug.
Yes, well they shouldn't make the mistaken assumption that they never reboot on their own (except for a power failure).
Also, power failures aren't always due to the utility. Lets say the homeowner flipped the breaker on/off to the Blink.
So the message may be pointing a finger incorrectly at the wrong party in many cases.
So, like I said, they should change the message to be more generic if they don't really know what might have caused that situation.

whoami

Mon May 23, 2011 2:42 pm

mogur wrote:From where do they pull that info?
whoami wrote:Do you know they also cache your lat/long and ship it back to the mothership? I just found this nugget today.
The CDMA/Sprint data card inside your Blink has GPS. Their python deamon scripts run and stored the location in /conf/config.ini on the SD card. It is pushed to ecotality in the data exchange of https://update.blinknetwork.com/v/x (config file push). The attribute is gps.location in the [CDMA] group.

Does that answer the question? :)

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Mon May 23, 2011 3:15 pm

whoami wrote:The CDMA/Sprint data card inside your Blink has GPS....It is pushed to ecotality in the data exchange...
Does that answer the question? :)
Yes, but it suggests another one. Can we put a tinfoil hat over the blnk so the GPS won't acquire? :) I don't remember the participation survey asking us if we were underground or not.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

davewill

Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm

gbarry42 wrote:Yes, but it suggests another one. Can we put a tinfoil hat over the blnk so the GPS won't acquire? :) I don't remember the participation survey asking us if we were underground or not.
You could probably unplug the CDMA since it's not used for actual communications at home, but what's the point? Blink already knows where they're installed, they hardly need GPS coordinates.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

whoami

Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm

davewill wrote:
gbarry42 wrote:Yes, but it suggests another one. Can we put a tinfoil hat over the blnk so the GPS won't acquire? :) I don't remember the participation survey asking us if we were underground or not.
You could probably unplug the CDMA since it's not used for actual communications at home, but what's the point? Blink already knows where they're installed, they hardly need GPS coordinates.
Dave you're correct, you can unplug the USB port inside your Blink which is the cellular modem. Since it caches the info you would need to mount the SD card and remove that line in the config file.

I didn't bring this up before but Ecotality probably is in the wrong by transmitting this information. Section 10 of our agreements:
"ECOtality will protect all personal information (name, address, etc.) that it collects from the Participant ...This Data will not contain any personal information, but will contain Data pertaining to vehicle and EVSE use". GPS lat/long and address are technically not the same but I bet that stationary assisted GPS is getting a pretty darn good fix. Mine is spooky how accurate it is.

Return to “Blink”