TurboFroggy
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:41 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2398
Location: Everett, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Wireless connection

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 pm

mwalsh wrote:
TurboFroggy wrote:Here is pictures of the WNCE2001 installed on my Blink. Also in case no one has ever seen an entirely green test screen, I will also include that (got that exactly 1 minute from switching from the built-in wireless to the LAN connection through the WNCE2001, on the first try.)
I use one of these with my Sunny Portal, which only has wired Ethernet. The only thing I caution is they don't have a lot of range....maybe 25' at most when you are talking about through the walls separating garage from home.
My SunnyWebBox (thing that uploads to the Sunny Portal) is also hard wired but on the opposite side of the garage. I was contemplated putting a small switch there and then running a cable over to the Blink. However, the WNCE2001 worked so well the first time I didn't bother... :)
Reserved 4/25/2010 - Ordered 12/2010 - picked up 6/21/2011
6.88KW Grid-Tie Solar
2013 Tesla Model S P85, Reserved 11/10/2012 picked up 3/8/2013.
2011 Nissan Leaf
2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH (SOLD)
2 Ton Geothermal
Zero Energy Bills

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567
Location: Brentwood, TN
Contact: Facebook

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 pm

My Blink was installed today. The WiFi connected no problem at first try. The Blink is on the garage wall facing towards the inside of the house. The house is a long ranch style and it is 90 feet to the Router in the home office. I've placed a directional antenna up on top of a book shelf with the antenna pointing at the Blink. Signal strength is about 10 to 15%.

I'm wondering that if there is an internal WiFi cable, why not use an external antenna connected to that coax cable? Then use another corner reflector hi-gain antenna pointed towards my router.

I notice that the Blink unit has a "seal" on it placed there by the installer, evidently to keep busy fingers out of the unit. I'll fix that tomorrow and see what I can see then report back to the group.

So far, no luck in connecting to the Blink via the Intranet, using either the "http://10.233.1.100" address printed in the handbook or the actual address as the router established it, 192.168.0.107. I can go to my HP LaserJet printer using it's address and see the printer;s http configuration screen, no problem.

Ideas? Recommendations?

Regards,

Dave
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
CWO4 US Army (Ret.)
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

AP1
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:59 am

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 pm

If you have any problems with your wifi connection, consider entering the info by hand. My router also gave the Blink an address of 192.168.0.107. The network test would pass every third time or so and I had all sorts of problems charging, until I entered the proper address by hand: 192.168.1.107. No more problems since.

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Wireless connection

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am

CWO4Mann wrote:My Blink was installed today. The WiFi connected no problem at first try. The Blink is on the garage wall facing towards the inside of the house. The house is a long ranch style and it is 90 feet to the Router in the home office. I've placed a directional antenna up on top of a book shelf with the antenna pointing at the Blink. Signal strength is about 10 to 15%.

I'm wondering that if there is an internal WiFi cable, why not use an external antenna connected to that coax cable? Then use another corner reflector hi-gain antenna pointed towards my router.

I notice that the Blink unit has a "seal" on it placed there by the installer, evidently to keep busy fingers out of the unit. I'll fix that tomorrow and see what I can see then report back to the group.

So far, no luck in connecting to the Blink via the Intranet, using either the "http://10.233.1.100" address printed in the handbook or the actual address as the router established it, 192.168.0.107. I can go to my HP LaserJet printer using it's address and see the printer;s http configuration screen, no problem.

Ideas? Recommendations?

Regards,

Dave
The tag will fit through the hole if you want to take the cover off. You'll find the internal antenna is mounted to the internal frame of the Blink. I ended up using a Netgear WNCE2001 installed inside of my Blink, connected to the ethernet port.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567
Location: Brentwood, TN
Contact: Facebook

Re: Wireless connection

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 am

DarkStar wrote:
CWO4Mann wrote:My Blink was installed today. The WiFi connected no problem at first try. The Blink is on the garage wall facing towards the inside of the house. The house is a long ranch style and it is 90 feet to the Router in the home office. I've placed a directional antenna up on top of a book shelf with the antenna pointing at the Blink. Signal strength is about 10 to 15%.

I'm wondering that if there is an internal WiFi cable, why not use an external antenna connected to that coax cable? Then use another corner reflector hi-gain antenna pointed towards my router.

I notice that the Blink unit has a "seal" on it placed there by the installer, evidently to keep busy fingers out of the unit. I'll fix that tomorrow and see what I can see then report back to the group.

So far, no luck in connecting to the Blink via the Intranet, using either the "http://10.233.1.100" address printed in the handbook or the actual address as the router established it, 192.168.0.107. I can go to my HP LaserJet printer using it's address and see the printer;s http configuration screen, no problem.

Ideas? Recommendations?

Regards,

Dave
The tag will fit through the hole if you want to take the cover off. You'll find the internal antenna is mounted to the internal frame of the Blink. I ended up using a Netgear WNCE2001 installed inside of my Blink, connected to the ethernet port.

OK, I am going to solve the problem: I checked the Blink unit by using one of my Linux laptops with a WiFi sniffer application and the WiFi signal is only about 12% -- and varies depending upon if my cat is sitting on his perch a few feet away from the unit in direct line of sight (really!). I located the RG45 connector at the bottom of the unit, covered by a rubber weather cap, I am running a 100 foot Cat 5 cable from the unit down the wire raceway in the wall into the office and thence into one of the unused ports on the Router as I have a bunch of Cat 5 cable and connectors hanging around in the Ham Shack.

I connected to the Blink using the laptop and a pigtail Cat 5 cable and all is well there; nice HTML display too. The firmware is evidently an embedded Linux variant, BTW. (Let the hAk©!nG§ begin!).

Also, this weekend I'll experiment with finding the connector for the WiFi antenna (hopefully NOT a printed circuit one) and plug in a corner reflector with a 6 foot sma connector adaptor cable and see what that does in the WiFi mode.

BTW, corner reflectors, flat plate helicals and extension cables for WiFi are all over Newegg dot com which is where we buy stuff.

I've got some photos of the installation yesterday and will post them here Real Soon Now.

Regards,

Dave
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
CWO4 US Army (Ret.)
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

MsHanson
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 16274
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi -

Can someone explain why I might need the wi-fi connection to my Blink 24/7? My Leaf is two weeks away (yeah!) so I haven't actually used it yet, although it has been installed and taunting my old car for about 6 weeks.

The reason I ask is because we currently power down our wi-fi network in the overnight hours to save electricity. If we schedule the charging through Blink rather than through Carwings, does Blink need a wi-fi connection to initiate charging?

Also, we are in the EV-Project -- Do they collect their data during the overnight hours?

Nancy

klapauzius
Posts: 1658
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:55 pm

While all the do-it-yourself activities to get the blink to
connect properly are certainly heroic, and maybe fun, there is another,
much simpler way:
I complained to Blink about the poor WiFI connectivity, they send an electrician out
who plugged in a wired ethernet-over-powerline adapter (not that you would need
an electrician for that...) and now it works like a charm. No hassle, no cost, working blink.

gmuzhik
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 11:48 am
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm

How are you guys determining that the WiFi is not working? I thought mine was not working either by doing the network test option on the touch screen. It kept failing, so I called Blink who came out and their electrician installed a wired LAN connection. I retried the network test and it still fails! After three or four tries, it finally passes. This was similar to when I had only a WiFi connection. I tried my iPhone in the same location as the Blink to access the intranet connection to it and it accesses fine even though the network test option says fail. My conclusion, "Network Test" is suspect and in my case frequently gives a false "Fail" indication. Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?
San Diego, CA

User avatar
linkim
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: Wireless connection

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 pm

gmuzhik wrote:How are you guys determining that the WiFi is not working? I thought mine was not working either by doing the network test option on the touch screen. It kept failing, so I called Blink who came out and their electrician installed a wired LAN connection. I retried the network test and it still fails! After three or four tries, it finally passes. This was similar to when I had only a WiFi connection. I tried my iPhone in the same location as the Blink to access the intranet connection to it and it accesses fine even though the network test option says fail. My conclusion, "Network Test" is suspect and in my case frequently gives a false "Fail" indication. Has anyone else noticed this anomaly?
Looking at the status of my wifi on the Blink screen, it should be working. Unfortunately I was getting error messages when I tried to charge - the big orange screen. During the second visit to resolve the problem, the electrician installed a power line adapter so I have a wire to the Blink and to my router. That seems to fixed the problem. The electrician mentioned that my Blink has a wimpy antennae, so the signal is weak or maybe intermittent, hence the charging issue.

Now I am a happy camper, except for trying to extract something useful from the log of electricity usage and the strange bar graph.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Wireless connection

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 am

MsHanson wrote:Can someone explain why I might need the wi-fi connection to my Blink 24/7?
In a nutshell? Because you agreed to it when you had your Blink installed (as part of the EV Project). :D
MsHanson wrote:If we schedule the charging through Blink rather than through Carwings, does Blink need a wi-fi connection to initiate charging?
No.
MsHanson wrote:Do they collect their data during the overnight hours?
Yes, every 10-15 minutes the Blink reports its current status (charging, not charging, how many watts are being used, etc) back to their servers.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Return to “Blink”