Has anyone retrofit adaptive cruise control?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

I've been remarking for a while how it surprises me that eco cars like the LEAF don't come standard with adaptive cruise control - it would GREATLY facilitate drafting off trucks or other vehicles for improved efficiency. Recently I've really started wondering about the feasibility of installing one, either aftermarket or oem. Has anyone here ever installed an adaptive cruise control system in a car that didn't come with one? Can it be done and at what cost?

Bump. Nobody has any ideas on how to pull this off? I was at least hoping for some chatter on the subject. Are we all just too focused on the AZ battery issues? :lol:

It would be prohibitively complicated and expensive to be practical.

GeekEV said:
Bump. Nobody has any ideas on how to pull this off? I was at least hoping for some chatter on the subject. Are we all just too focused on the AZ battery issues? :lol:

TomT said:
It would be prohibitively complicated and expensive to be practical.

GeekEV said:

Adaptive cruse control is typically called driving with LOD, it is VERY easy to pull off on an EV but your speed would be all over the map as you generally keep one set amperage or power output as opposed to varying it to hold a speed.

That is usually more efficient in situations where you won't be going up or down very long hills.

Different type of adaptive cruise control... I believe he is talking ABOUT THE TYPE THAT USES RADAR OR LIDAR TO MAINTAIN A SET DISTANCE BEHIND A VEHICLE OR A SET SPEED, WHICHEVER IS LESS... I'd love to find an aftermarket version myself but have had no luck in doing so...

rmay635703 said:
Adaptive cruse control is typically called driving with LOD, it is VERY easy to pull off on an EV but your speed would be all over the map as you generally keep one set amperage or power output as opposed to varying it to hold a speed. That is usually more efficient in situations where you won't be going up or down very long hills.

Back