Plasti Dip experiment on the front

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

Trying to improve the front look...
6783929142_f53b975f65_b.jpg

It shouldn't come off at a car wash, although, painting the front of a car is always tricky with rocks and such. Pitting paint should be the graver concern, and potentially needing to repaint over time. I've been thinking of doing something about that too. I was leaning towards black vinyl for the "gums" and possibly the lower lip but I haven't found the time to try and find vinyl.

Can you shoot at a better angle with more light?

Is that pic Photoshopped?

It looks great that way, but I don't think it can be pulled off well since there is a bit of bumper fascia that the front plate mounts to that sticks out a bit instead of being inset inwards which would give it that void look.

But anything you can do to the front fascia would be an improvement IMO.

I've had clear plasti dip in the same spot for a year and it hasn't come off, but I don't wash my car often and I usually do it by hand

6793236826_a348fc943f_b.jpg

I still don't like how the front looks from the side, I am thinking of making a custom billet grille to soften the look of that.

I was going to do mine (glacier pearl) with one off-center tooth showing.

By plasti-dip do you mean spray paint, rather than the vinyl goop in a can you can dip a tool handle into?

This is what I used

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Dip-Intl-11203-Plasti-Dip/dp/B000LNOOEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330488842&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also used clear one to protect the front before. Much cheaper then getting clear bra.

Maybe my gamma settings are messed up on my monitors, but I couldn't make out any detail in the first pic -- just a solid black in the area of interest. The second pic only slightly better. Still really couldn't even make out the grille. Had to run it through some filters to see anything on my monitor -- included below for anyone in the same boat.

Looks pretty good!

How do you prepare the paint for this?

95458326.jpg

I didn't have good camera with me, but I'll try to take a better picture sometime.

You just clean the area and make sure it's dry before you apply.

I like it!

(I also like the parked Prius in the background. How many of us have one of those that's usually parked? :lol: )

And thanks for the photo editing, Nubo, it let me see what was really accomplished with the "Dip".

Thanks for the Plasti-dip tip. I think it's going to come in handy on my evolving charge-port-door modifications.

also, I'd removed all the lettering and badges from the car other than the front Nissan badge. But now I'm thinking of using black Pasti-dip on the "L E A F" lettering and re-attaching, centered and spread-out sort of like the Tesla nameplate. The black letters should show up nicely on a white LEAF.

I had someone looking over the car the other day. With all the badges gone they were trying to figure out exactly what it was... :? :lol: I think I should probably advertise at least the model name. Still don't want to raise hackles with the "zero emission" claim.

Nubo said:
Maybe my gamma settings are messed up on my monitors, but I couldn't make out any detail in the first pic -- just a solid black in the area of interest. The second pic only slightly better. Still really couldn't even make out the grille. Had to run it through some filters to see anything on my monitor -- included below for anyone in the same boat.
Hahah, I did the same thing and almost posted it, but got lazy.

Back