Front Radar Location

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwscheil

Since my 2018 keeps saying front radar blocked - I did a little searching for the location of the front radar. It appears to be sitting directly behind the Nissan emblem with it's many crannies for dirt. Even worse, I see no debris shield between the charging port and the radar right below it. So, every time I charge the car, the port cover is at least partially open, which lets dirt, leaves, etc. rain down on the radar unit.
So, 2 questions - can anyone say whether my study is correct? and is there any way to clean the sensor itself - not just the front bumper in front of it?

Apparently exposing the sensor itself requires a non-trivial removal of the entire front bumper.

Update : How does the front radar ever get unblocked? Either it sees the metal license plate down low or the Nissan emblem - I suspect all those shiny parts are metallic - and thus good radar reflectors. Goes to the dealer Tuesday - If they claim it calibrates fine - then - was that with bumber on or off?

Update : How does the front radar ever get unblocked? Either it sees the metal license plate down low or the Nissan emblem - I suspect all those shiny parts are metallic - and thus good radar reflectors. Goes to the dealer Tuesday - If they claim it calibrates fine - then - was that with bumber on or off?
I'm pretty sure the (fake) chrome on the Nissan emblem is painted plastic :)

The Leaf has thrown a DTC - dealer says the front radar bracket is broken with the sensor leaning against the grill. Apparently cannot clear the code. This is a used car from California with a CARFAX reported front end collision. Apparently the dealer did minimal checkout before selling it to me. Dealer says not our fault - we'll trade it in on another used Leaf for big bucks. Now waiting to find a shop that does front radars for less than the Nissan dealer's estimate of 5-7 thousand. The car still drives normally except for the annoying yellow warning triangle that appears every time it starts up.

This is a used car from California with a CARFAX reported front end collision. Apparently the dealer did minimal checkout before selling it to me.
A theme that is often repeated here. I hate trying to work with Dealerships for that reason, they will say anything to get the sell even when they know nothing about the Leaf. So many times that I go along with friends or relatives who are buying a Leaf from a Dealership where the conversations range from "how to change in the oil in the Leaf every 5,000 miles" to "the catalytic converter is so well hidden, thieves can not steal it" to my favorite "brake pads wear out faster on the EV because they are never used" non-sense that just makes your brain hurt. 😵‍💫

Wait! Why am I trying to fix this stupid radar system? Will the System Malfunction yellow warning ever disable the car? If it gets fixed then I have to turn off each sensor every time I start the car. Whereas now I just hit OK once. Never got a wheel shake or brake application since I bought it - just many false alarms usually from the lane detector when I dodge the countless potholes.

Back