Farthest you've gone with "---" range *and* battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lutefisk said:
5.64 miles.

Fortunately for me, almost all downhill. No turtle mode but that was imminent no doubt.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 10.58.18 AM.png

Depends on the Generation, the Gen II Leaf have a large buffer at the end that can result in an extra 10 to 25 miles of driving before hitting turtle mode depending on the battery size.

knightmb said:
lutefisk said:
5.64 miles.

Fortunately for me, almost all downhill. No turtle mode but that was imminent no doubt.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 10.58.18 AM.png

Depends on the Generation, the Gen II Leaf have a large buffer at the end that can result in an extra 10 to 25 miles of driving before hitting turtle mode depending on the battery size.

Interesting - mine's the 24 kWh battery. About how much buffer does my car have or is that really dependent on conditions?

Archaic by today's standards, but I figure in the next 5-10 years, we'll have better battery tech and it will be financially reasonable to retrofit a '15 Leaf. I kept a Saturn for 21 years; I think the Leaf will be far more durable.

We'll see.

lutefisk said:
Interesting - mine's the 24 kWh battery. About how much buffer does my car have or is that really dependent on conditions?
About 2 kWh usable if I recall my recent LeafSpy reading correctly.
My 2013 LEAF goes to '----' when SoC hits 21% (I think it was 15% when the pack was new.) Since the pack capacity is decreased in the cold, I presume that the '----' threshold is proportionally affected.

Older post I did about the 62 kWh battery, thought maybe not what the OP was looking for exactly. ;)
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32148

My 2011 goes to the dashes with the Very Low Battery Warning at 24Gids. ~1.5kWh usable energy remaining.
This assumes that the cells are well balanced. If not…

lutefisk said:
Archaic by today's standards, but I figure in the next 5-10 years, we'll have better battery tech and it will be financially reasonable to retrofit a '15 Leaf. I kept a Saturn for 21 years; I think the Leaf will be far more durable.
The future is now.
I just put a Gen2 40 kWh battery pack in my 10 year old Gen1 Leaf, more than doubling my range for less than half the price of almost any new EV out there; I expect to be driving my Leaf (at least) another 10 years. You can read about my experience here (https://www.electricauto.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf).

Assuming the battery cells were well balanced, 2011 and 2015 (24 kWh batteries) would both go about 7 miles in suburban driving after --- (very low battery warning) before power-limited (turtle) mode. My 2019 SL Plus with 62 kWh battery will go about 15 to 20 miles after --- in suburban driving, more or less depending upon cell balance (definitely more variation with 2019 than with earlier cars).

I would probably have retrofitted my 2011 with a larger battery by now if it had not met its untimely demise.

Edited to clarify 15 to 20 miles after --- (Very Low Battery Warning) with 2019 because I don't want to overestimate the distance.

Stanton said:
lutefisk said:
The future is now.
I just put a Gen2 40 kWh battery pack in my 10 year old Gen1 Leaf, more than doubling my range for less than half the price of almost any new EV out there; I expect to be driving my Leaf (at least) another 10 years. You can read about my experience here (https://www.electricauto.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf).

Wow. Cool!

Back