I’m Liz, an atmospheric scientist who is working with folks at a new company in Seattle, Recurrent, with a goal of helping electric vehicle (EV) buyers understand the battery health and range of used electric cars (www.recurrentauto.com). We are developing machine learning algorithms to predict future battery life and range across all major EV models.
Here’s where I need your help. At the moment, over 2500 EV drivers and enthusiasts have volunteered to (anonymously!) share their battery health and range data, but we are lacking data from older Leaf models (2011-2015) because there is no way to remotely collect info.
If you have a Leaf with a 24 kWh battery (model years 2011-2015, including some 2016’s) and want to share some data to help us ground-truth our range estimates then you’ll be first on the list to get member battery reports when we start supporting them for these model years.
If you’re interested in sharing data, please charge your car to 100% and then record/take photos of the following data and send to email@example.com:
- Date/time of observation
- Zipcode where you most frequently drive or park (this is to pull weather data)
- Model year and trim of your Leaf (trim options: S, SL, SV)
- Photo of the dashboard showing the current range estimate at 100% state of charge and the odometer reading
- It would be useful if you can take this dashboard photo on the screen that also shows your recent energy efficiency in miles/kWh. If you’re on that screen then one photo includes all three of these data points.
- Optional but very helpful: manufacture date (you can find this as the “DATE:” field in the sticker in the driver-side door jamb). If it is easiest to just send us a photo of this sticker that works.
- State of Health (SOH) as reported by Leafspy. A photo/screenshot of the first page of your LeafSpy app that shows the SOH is acceptable for this, or if you want to share the entire CSV file, that's cool, too.
I am happy to answer and questions about how we use the data or our company. If you want a referral link to sign up newer EVs, comment below!