massive loss of charge overnight, while off/parked

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawotka

Hello,
I'm a new poster to the forum and have had my 2021 Leaf for 4 months. Before you roll your eyes at my problem, I'll say I'm calling in for service tomorrow. That said, for the second time this week, I've gone to bed with a well-charged battery and awakened to one with little charge. It's turned cold at night where I live. Last night the temp dipped to 28 F. I had charged at a J-1772 port late yesterday afternoon - to 81%. I went home and didn't use the car again. Woke up to see it at a 19% charge. The other time this happened, the car was at about a 68% charge and when I woke up it was at 10%. Then it took quite a while to get back to a comfortable charge zone.

I've read many posts on this forum about cold weather issues and I'm prepared for a tough winter. I recently moved to a house without a garage and plan to have one added next spring (into which I'll add a decent charger). Until then, I'm using local level 2 chargers and my own home trickle charge.

Has anyone had this disturbing charge-loss problem?
Thanks,
S. Sawotka

2021 Nissan Leaf SV Plus

This is definitely NOT normal, or even a common problem. My guess is that you have a defective traction battery. I'm guessing that you don't have LeafSpy? Are there any warning lights showing on the dashboard?

sawotka said:
Has anyone had this disturbing charge-loss problem?
Thanks,
S. Sawotka

2021 Nissan Leaf SV Plus

It's definitely not normal. Yes, you will get some bizarre questions like mine. :mrgreen:

Did you leave the car turned on overnight, with the heater going? Even if you did, it would take many hours to sitting and doing nothing with the heater on high to drain the battery that much, like along the line of days probably.

Other than a defective battery, which would be replaced under warranty, don't know what else to say unless it was just a case of mistaken charge where you thought the number said one thing, but it was really another. :?

Thank you, all.
No - car was turned off all night; heater off.
No warning lights on dash (I don't have Leaf Spy).
Nothing plugged into OBDII port.
I've been so shocked by this that I've been carefully monitoring the charge percentages and the drops.

I'm almost afraid to turn it on in the morning and see the scary low charge. Will get it serviced and see what's up with the battery.

S. Sawotka

StanS said:
Learjet said:
anything plugged into OBDII port?

A scanner plugged into that port would only draw a few milliamps when the car is off (which the OP says it was).

if everything is working right I agree with your statement...but, the traction battery shouldn't lose a charge overnight...if everything is working right!

Any chance you enabled the climate control timer inadvertently?

Refer to page 4-35 of the owner's manual to check...

If a climate control timer is turning on the heat overnight, then that could consume 4 kWh of energy per hour. 8 hours of that would use more than 50% of your pack capacity.

alozzy said:
Any chance you enabled the climate control timer inadvertently?

Refer to page 4-35 of the owner's manual to check...

If a climate control timer is turning on the heat overnight, then that could consume 4 kWh of energy per hour. 8 hours of that would use more than 50% of your pack capacity.

Unless the timer was - in a remarkably Evil act for an inanimate device - turning the climate control off again just long enough before the OP returned to the car to stop the car from being suspiciously hot, I would expect the OP to have noticed the car being toasty warm inside...

EDIT: I see that the car is a '21 SV Plus, meaning that it likely has a heat pump. While it might use 4kw for 15-30 minutes, it should use much less after that. I can't remember, despite driving a '21 Leaf myself: did they re-integrate the heat pump (making it no longer an option, but standard equipment) in '21, or '22?

Not normal, and interesting problem.

LeafSpy would be a lot of help here since it shows where the power is going as well as pack temp. If it really is a cold weather phenomenon then my thoughts also stray to unintended heating of either the cabin or pack.

Another possibility would be a wrong SoC reading. That would be easy to exclude by some metered charging

Any updates?

I picked up my new ‘22 SV with tech 2 days ago.

Last night, I went to bed with 66% SOC and woke up this morning with 49%. I had the charge timer set to start at 7:30 this morning, and when I checked the app to see if it was charging I saw the reduced SOC. Climate control off, nothing plugged in.

I just got the connector thing for LeafSpy so I’ll go plug that in soon. I’m not familiar with LeafSpy at all though.

Back