Purchasing a 12V battery? Advice...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be clear--your replacement battery is a size 51R (not 61R) if I read your earlier posts correctly.

Edited to delete quotes from earlier posts since typos were corrected. As a side note, my Optima deep cycle (yellow top) group 51R AGM which fit like original has been in use for 16 months so far.

I might need another 12 volt battery... Sigh. The first one that came w/my used 5/2013 built Leaf bit the dust in Oct 2015, IIRC. Dealer replaced it for free under warranty. Replacement is a Nissan "84 month" flooded battery.

I drove my Leaf before I went on vacation, probably on Oct 26. Let's just say, when I returned home I've tried charging it w/my Optimate 4 it for (originally) good measure and stopped before I went to work, surprised that it wasn't finished. I returned home from work and measured the voltage. It was reading about 10.5 volts. Ugh. I checked that it isn't low on water so it's charging once again. I expect it won't finish or won't hold a charge.

When I try searching Pep Boys for a '13 Leaf battery, it only comes up with https://www.pepboys.com/optima-yellowtop-deep-cycle-car-battery-group-size-51/product/313430/2013/NISSAN-DATSUN/LEAF/AC%20MOTOR?quantity=1 (Part#: YELD51R | SKU: 313430): $238 installed. I tried digging a bit for a Bosch 51R battery on Pep Boy's site to no avail. I tried a few other locations nearby.

(In Dec 2018, from Pep Boys, I did get a Bosch group 51 non-R AGM battery to replace the old Optima Yellow Top in my former 06 Prius...)

Given Nissan's pro-rated replacement 12 volt warranty, I'd have to pay 50% of the battery cost + labor... or get a battery myself and DIY.

I tried Costco's site and it sends me to a special Costco section of Interstate Battery's site. It comes up with a item number 852210 51R for $77 but doesn't tell me if my or any Costco's have it in stock.

Anyone else have suggestions/recommendations?

LeftieBiker said:
Someone here got a Bosch (?) AGM battery for a good price. I don't remember what store. Paging whoever that was!

Looks like Pep boys:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24646&start=20#p557288

(The whole thread has a number of sales in it. You might check them all).

<rant> Don't ask Reddit for 12V buying decisions. Every post I've made about why you *really* should use an AGM has been downvoted to negative https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/dsspl5/2012_leaf_not_recognizing_keys_anyone_have_this/f6td17f/?context=3&st=k2p5km90&sh=d028ddbb </rant>

LeftieBiker said:
Someone here got a Bosch (?) AGM battery for a good price. I don't remember what store. Paging whoever that was!

Uhh...it was ME! I started this thread. Bosch 51R AGM purchased from PepBoys last January, around $150. No issues.

cwerdna said:
I might need another 12 volt battery... Sigh. The first one that came w/my used 5/2013 built Leaf bit the dust in Oct 2015, IIRC. Dealer replaced it for free under warranty. Replacement is a Nissan "84 month" flooded battery.

I drove my Leaf before I went on vacation, probably on Oct 26. Let's just say, when I returned home I've tried charging it w/my Optimate 4 it for (originally) good measure and stopped before I went to work, surprised that it wasn't finished. I returned home from work and measured the voltage. It was reading about 10.5 volts. Ugh. I checked that it isn't low on water so it's charging once again. I expect it won't finish or won't hold a charge.

When I try searching Pep Boys for a '13 Leaf battery, it only comes up with https://www.pepboys.com/optima-yellowtop-deep-cycle-car-battery-group-size-51/product/313430/2013/NISSAN-DATSUN/LEAF/AC%20MOTOR?quantity=1 (Part#: YELD51R | SKU: 313430): $238 installed. I tried digging a bit for a Bosch 51R battery on Pep Boy's site to no avail. I tried a few other locations nearby.

(In Dec 2018, from Pep Boys, I did get a Bosch group 51 non-R AGM battery to replace the old Optima Yellow Top in my former 06 Prius...)

Given Nissan's pro-rated replacement 12 volt warranty, I'd have to pay 50% of the battery cost + labor... or get a battery myself and DIY.

I tried Costco's site and it sends me to a special Costco section of Interstate Battery's site. It comes up with a item number 852210 51R for $77 but doesn't tell me if my or any Costco's have it in stock.
Charging the 12 volt over the weekend didn't help. Even after over 24 hours of charging, it would only get up to ~11.5 volts. Within short order (<24 hours, maybe even <12 hours), it'd be back down to about 10.5 volts.

I got a quote from my local dealer (same one that replaced the original 12 volt for free under the 3 year/36K warranty) and they claimed that even with the 50% part coverage, it would be w/labor (which isn't covered) ~$150 (or was it $159?) for them to change the battery. No thanks. If it were not too expensive, I would've had them do that + the bonding plate "service campaign".

I went to Costco to get the Interstate 852210 51R for $77 + $1 CA battery fee. Costco also charges at $15 core fee which they'll refund when you bring back your used 12 volt. I'll be installing it tonight/this weekend. I like how Costco/Interstate puts stickers on top w/the manufacture month. I was easily able to pick out one that was made Oct 2019.

From looking at the shape, shape of the vent lids, shapes around the lids, location of markings, ridges in the casing, it looks like the Nissan "84 month" 51R battery is probably made by the same company as the Costco Interstate 51R battery. Will take some pics of both for my own reference when I finally get around to swapping.

cwerdna said:
From looking at the shape, shape of the vent lids, shapes around the lids, location of markings, ridges in the casing, it looks like the Nissan "84 month" 51R battery is probably made by the same company as the Costco Interstate 51R battery.

Odds are good. I think there are only 2 companies that make nearly all US 12V auto batteries, including AGM. Johnson Controls and Exide.

to add to that list ....

East Penn Manufacturing has the largest single site battery plant in the world.
Market penetration is 25% of all vehicles in U.S.
DEKA is one of their brand names, but if your battery wears an autoparts chain decal, the chance that East Penn supplied it is equally likely as Johnson Controls or Exide.

A couple of smaller players should be added to the list also:
Enersys
Yuasa.
Both have large facilities in that same area of Reading, PA

Back