Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Re: Level 3 at home

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:29 pm

GaleHawkins wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 pm

I am interested in getting 120 volt AC from our Leaf but not sure I will ever try. I bought the below for about $75 off ebay but have no plans to connect it to the DC charging port until I understand how it could even work because at this point the write up in the ad just does not make electrical sense to me. At this moment I see it as a smoke maker but time may change that if I can get some solid info from a better source than the seller. I have not taken the DC port plug in apart yet nor found a schematic of the DC port on the Leaf.

https://picclick.com/DOSTAR-EV-Chargin ... 539.html

Appears it is an EU/Messeske charge plug for AC 220 VAC charging. If that is correct (see below), not sure what the "power strip" will do unless it is somehow connected to a standard charge controller that will safely activate the "wall" power to charge the EV. The strip at that point would then be powered, but only when the EV is being charged.
various charging plug pin outs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 Leaf SL; 43,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

EVDRIVER

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:17 pm

GaleHawkins wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 pm
cwerdna wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm
johnlocke wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 pm
EV manufacturers are not going to support use of vehicle to grid for home grids. There's no way to control cycling and it would make warranties difficult to manage. How do you tell whether battery degradation was caused by driving or battery cycling in support of your house? how do you administer an 100,000 mi/8 year warranty if the car spends most of it's time charging and discharging on your home grid. It's much simpler to have a dedicated battery on the home grid. The only company that has tried it is Nissan and they have never gotten beyond a pilot project in Japan.
Pilot program? In 2017, it was stated at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=504949#p504949 there were 7000 customers w/the Nissan/Nichicon V2H system in Japan.

I'd found a PDF earlier from years before that with numbers in the thousands. Found it at viewtopic.php?p=507888#p507888.

I posted about Mitsubishi's Dendo Drive House at viewtopic.php?p=571131#p571131 that I saw on display at Tokyo Motor Show 2019. It involved the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which has CHAdeMO. And, yes, Nissan owns a controlling stake of Mitsubishi Motors.

On the note of degradation, years back, I saw on one of the Leaf FB groups someone in Japan who had lost 4 bars within their capacity warranty and they mentioned they were using the aforementioned V2H system.

As for the bolded part, there was a side conversation with a Nissan corporate marketing guy I posted about at viewtopic.php?p=508329#p508329 in 2017.
cwerdna thanks for correcting some of the Leaf misinformation on the web and for sharing the report from the marketing event you attended.

I am interested in getting 120 volt AC from our Leaf but not sure I will ever try. I bought the below for about $75 off ebay but have no plans to connect it to the DC charging port until I understand how it could even work because at this point the write up in the ad just does not make electrical sense to me. At this moment I see it as a smoke maker but time may change that if I can get some solid info from a better source than the seller. I have not taken the DC port plug in apart yet nor found a schematic of the DC port on the Leaf.

https://picclick.com/DOSTAR-EV-Chargin ... 539.html
Let me save you much time and hassle, you are not going to get power off the DC port, this has be hashed out extensively here years ago. The chance of doing this safely on a LEAF is very unlikely ever for a long list of reasons. Connecting an inverter to your 12V is a bad idea as well.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Let me save you much time and hassle, you are not going to get power off the DC port, this has be hashed out extensively here years ago. The chance of doing this safely on a LEAF is very unlikely ever for a long list of reasons. Connecting an inverter to your 12V is a bad idea as well.

That's too dismissive by a lot. Nissan has a unit that can do it, Wallbox has a unit that can do that and more, and quite a few people are already using inverters. The way to make that safer is to use an intermediate storage battery as a buffer, with the Leaf just keeping that battery charged.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Nissan seems to be thinking of the homeowner.

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHN ... ome.html

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”