greenleaf

Re: Official California PG&E Thread

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

DougMarker wrote:PG&E E-9 users CAUTION: DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: "The time periods shown above will
begin and end one hour later for the period between the second Sunday in March
and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October
and the first Sunday in November."
If I understand this correctly, you should change your timer(s) to start at 1:00AM instead of 12:00 midnight for the next 3 weeks.
Yes, this is correct. Off peak will only start at 1am.

But mine starts at 3am anyway so will not be affected.
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm

greenleaf wrote:
DougMarker wrote:PG&E E-9 users CAUTION: DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT: "The time periods shown above will
and the first Sunday in April, and for the period between the last Sunday in October
If I understand this correctly, you should change your timer(s) to start at 1:00AM instead of 12:00 midnight for the next 3 weeks.
Yes, this is correct. Off peak will only start at 1am.

But mine starts at 3am anyway so will not be affected.
I understand this is for the GE Net meter for those folks that generate their own electricity. If you are using a Smartmeter and don't generate then the daylight savings time is already in effect since the consumption rates are handled in real time.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 am

What you say is correct, if, as Nekota pointed out, you do not have a Smart Meter.

Of course there is also another way to deal with this. The LEAF is too stupid to know what the real time is, or when DST starts or ends. So twice a year you have to press the MENU button at the side of the screen, then touch: Settings; Others; Clock. This winter, "Daylight Savings Time" should have been off. Now it's time to turn it on. ... Or not. If you wait until the first Sunday in April to turn it on, you won't have to mess with your timers. Of course the console clock, and CarWings, is going to be off by an hour for the next three weeks. Personally, I couldn't care less.

Ray

Edit: I had an error in this post, which I have now corrected. The PG&E quote is correct. Both in the spring and in the fall there is a short period when the meter lags "real" time by an hour.
Last edited by planet4ever on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:15 am

My solution was to set the charger last May to begin at 1:00 AM, and never reset the clocks-or timer, in my LEAF.

I'll just have to get used to the clocks telling the right time, again.

On the bright side, I have another hour to procrastinate (and still save that all-important nickle per kWh) in the AM, as to whether I might need to charge (beyond 80%) each day.

Off-peak lasts till 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?
no condition is permanent

planet4ever

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:59 pm

No, on the E-9 schedule, a or b, off-peak ends at 7 AM year round, Monday through Friday. But in all cases that is whenever your meter thinks it is 7 AM. Smart Meters always have the real time. The older GE net-use meters (which you would have if you generate your own solar or wind power) still think that DST starts in April and ends in October.

Ray

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm

planet4ever wrote:No, on the E-9 schedule, a or b, off-peak ends at 7 AM year round, Monday through Friday. But in all cases that is whenever your meter thinks it is 7 AM. Smart Meters always have the real time. The older GE net-use meters (which you would have if you generate your own solar or wind power) still think that DST starts in April and ends in October.

Ray
I still have a "dumb" net use Meter. I can check the make, if that is significant.

Off-peak weekdays is from 1 to 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?

For those with "smart" meters installed, are they fully functional, and do you no longer have to pay the daily meter charge?
no condition is permanent

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
planet4ever wrote:No, on the E-9 schedule, a or b, off-peak ends at 7 AM year round, Monday through Friday. But in all cases that is whenever your meter thinks it is 7 AM. Smart Meters always have the real time. The older GE net-use meters (which you would have if you generate your own solar or wind power) still think that DST starts in April and ends in October.

Ray
I still have a "dumb" net use Meter. I can check the make, if that is significant.

Off-peak weekdays is from 1 to 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?

For those with "smart" meters installed, are they fully functional, and do you no longer have to pay the daily meter charge?
Well depends on what you mean by fully functional. There is the Zigbee Home Area Network (HAN) that isn't working, there is a energy use LED emitter that's intentionally disabled, and the web interface to look at your electrical use is inflexible. On the E9 rates for a SmartMeter there is no meter charge line item but I believe there is a meter charge you get with the GE Net use meter.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

planet4ever

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am

edatoakrun wrote:
Probably not. I only said GE because I think that's the only meter PG&E uses, other than the Smart Meter, which can keep track of usage by time of day.
edatoakrun wrote:Off-peak weekdays is from 1 to 8 AM, till 11/4, correct?
That's the statement you made before that I said "No" to. Partial-Peak in the (6) "summer" months starts at 7 AM, M-F, just as it does in the (6) "winter" months. Direct quote from http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf:
Summer (service from May 1 through October 31):
Peak: 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Partial-Peak: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. AND 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight Monday
through Friday, plus 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Off-Peak: All other hours.
Winter (service from November 1 through April 30):
Partial-Peak: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight Monday through Friday, and 5:00 p.m.
to 9:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Off-Peak: All other hours.
The only time off-peak is 1 to 8 AM this year is from March 12 through March 30. That is only because your meter thinks DST starts on April 1 even though it really started on March 11.

Ray

sakumar
Delivery Date: 01 May 2012

Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

I got my Nissan Leaf today. I have had a 6.7KW PV system for a couple of years. I've been on the PG&E E-6 plan. Last year I just about broke even with PG&E.

Is there a consensus on this forum which rate plan would be best for such a situation?

Should I switch to the E9a or is E6 still the better choice since I get an extra hour of solar production at peak rates? Does PG&E require me to go to an E9x plan since I now have an EV?

(I gather that E9b doesn't make sense for me since the PV production won't contribute to the car's meter).

Thanks (and apologies if this has been thrashed to death, in which case a pointer would be much appreciated).

greenleaf

Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

sakumar wrote:I got my Nissan Leaf today. I have had a 6.7KW PV system for a couple of years. I've been on the PG&E E-6 plan. Last year I just about broke even with PG&E.

Is there a consensus on this forum which rate plan would be best for such a situation?

Should I switch to the E9a or is E6 still the better choice since I get an extra hour of solar production at peak rates? Does PG&E require me to go to an E9x plan since I now have an EV?

(I gather that E9b doesn't make sense for me since the PV production won't contribute to the car's meter).

Thanks (and apologies if this has been thrashed to death, in which case a pointer would be much appreciated).
No requirement to switch to E9x.

Whether E9x is preferable to E6 depends on the individual's usage. The plus on E9x is the very low off-peak rates compared to E6.

But E9x is about to undergo some drastic changes. Read the following:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 84#p199884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

Return to “Utilities”