JimSouCal

Re: Work with Disney to make Autopia a proper Tomorrowland r

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Nubo wrote:I went to disneyland when I was about 10, and Tomorrowland was really the only thing that remotely interested me. Well, that and the "Yippies" that took over the park that day.

They closed early for the first time ever, and began evacuating the park while my friends and I were having a great time "trapped" on Tom Sawyer's Island. Our parents, meanwhile, were apoplectic. Ah, the good old days when a pack of 10-year-olds would be set loose without supervision in a crowded public venue for hours on end. I think today parents would have their children taken away and probably face jail time. :roll:
Wow, you saw all this for real?
http://retrobandit.hubpages.com/hub/The ... Disneyland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems the Yippies got high and took over Tom Sawyer Island, also one of my favorites....

But, yeah. The days of danger when I'd hope on my bicycle without a helmet, and just had to be back by dinner... WE set off kerosene mortars (tennis ball cans), m80s, and all kinds of stuff. My parents had no idea.

Then again, I was one of the first to use one of those old bell hard shell white helmets in my twenties...

Disneyland in college was pretty fun too the few times I went...

JimSouCal

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 pm

ksnogas2112 wrote:You mean something like this?

http://extremegrandprix.com/karts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That stuff is fun... But not at Disneyland...

xtremeflyer
Delivery Date: 03 Aug 2012

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:16 am

Disneyland has ended their sponsorship with Chevron, it's no longer on the signage at the ride. The last rumor I've seen is they plan on tearing out the whole thing plus the submarines and the innovations building and putting in an Marvel/Ironman ride.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:26 am

Basically correct, based on what I peripherally know... Except that the current plan has the submarine ride remaining since they refurbished that not all that long ago, and the lagoon serves as the reservoir for Matterhorn and thus must remain somewhere... Also, the submarine ride is still hugely popular...
xtremeflyer wrote:Disneyland has ended their sponsorship with Chevron, it's no longer on the signage at the ride. The last rumor I've seen is they plan on tearing out the whole thing plus the submarines and the innovations building and putting in an Marvel/Ironman ride.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

JimSouCal wrote:...Then again, I was one of the first to use one of those old bell hard shell white helmets in my twenties...
So was I. I bought one after several years of bicycle commuting, having decided that I was pushing my luck without a helmet. I still have my old Bell helmet, serial #61789, although I retired it about five years ago; it has many tens of thousands of miles on it, sun, rain, snow. Only saved me once, during a crash on ice: injuries to my face would have been worse without the helmet (or with a modern low profile helmet). Many crashes, only one in which I hit my head.

On topic: it has been so many years since I've been to Disneyland I wasn't aware that they still had the old Autopia. It was a big deal when I was a kid but I agree with the OP that an update to electric cars would be a huge improvement.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm

JimSouCal wrote:Wow, you saw all this for real?
http://retrobandit.hubpages.com/hub/The ... Disneyland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems the Yippies got high and took over Tom Sawyer Island, also one of my favorites....
Yep that was the day. We were visiting from Ohio. Our relatives had seen indications of a protest in some "underground papers", but that was the day we had to go. Underground papers...oooh it was all very intriguing for an ohio boy :)

Somehow we managed to wrangle some non-adult time. I think the oldest of my cousins was actually 13, so he had things well in hand.

Really didn't see any serious altercations. We started tailing the folks around and ended up on the Island, and saw the raising of the VC flag. It was all very naughty, but we were never in fear of our safety. A few shouting matches was about as rough as it got, that we saw. By the time they started shutting things down, we eventually got to the entrances where my mother was pretty close to being arrested herself; refusing to vacate UNTIL I FIND THAT STUPID KID!!! :lol:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Tesla would be a great fit once they figure out adaptive cruise control to prevent the cars from bumping ;)
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Does Disneyland have EVSE parking spaces? Apparently Disneyworld does not.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... c-chargers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:07 pm

DL has a few EVSE for employees only. Guests that plug in (L1) have posted they get unplugged.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am

We were there this year and what a smelly mess that whole corner of the park was. They are basically running lawn mower engines in those things and when we got to the front of the line, something "broke" and they had to shut the whole thing down for an hour. But Disney is too Corporate to step on the toes of their Corporate GM/Oil buddies. The irony though is that the smell and fumes are SOOO bad that it actually makes you experience burning gasoline in the worst possible way while standing in the "The Happiest Place On Earth".
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”