cwerdna
Posts: 10994
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:29 pm

He was traveling thru some pretty cold areas and also was using L2 while sleeping. I guess that was enough to get the battery to be too cold.

He did make remarks about his battery temps at many of his charging stops. I recall seeing some times where his battery temp per Torque Pro was below 50 F. At other times, it was above 90 F. As a reminder, https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/batte ... ost-512173 as observations one guy made by Bolt thermal management. For reference so you don't have to repeat he work I did (Google's unit converter):
27 C = 80.6 F
31 C = 87.8 F
34 C = 93.2 F
37 C = 98.6 F

Some of his OATs were below 40 F.

This isn't necessarily the best example but I found that at around 17:45 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hyzmS5GM4, his OAT was 40 F and his app reports the battery temp at 55.4 F. If accurate, his charge rate may have only been ~27 kW at that point despite low SoC. At 21:20, you can see his OAT is 34 F and there's snow out.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14954
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:29 pm
He was traveling thru some pretty cold areas and also was using L2 while sleeping. I guess that was enough to get the battery to be too cold.

He did make remarks about his battery temps at many of his charging stops. I recall seeing some times where his battery temp per Torque Pro was below 50 F. At other times, it was above 90 F. As a reminder, https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/batte ... ost-512173 as observations one guy made by Bolt thermal management. For reference so you don't have to repeat he work I did (Google's unit converter):
27 C = 80.6 F
31 C = 87.8 F
34 C = 93.2 F
37 C = 98.6 F

Some of his OATs were below 40 F.

This isn't necessarily the best example but I found that at around 17:45 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hyzmS5GM4, his OAT was 40 F and his app reports the battery temp at 55.4 F. If accurate, his charge rate may have only been ~27 kW at that point despite low SoC. At 21:20, you can see his OAT is 34 F and there's snow out.
Ok, the overnight thing completely eluded me. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just charge 10 minutes, unplug then restart session to get a faster charge. On my LEAF when the batteries are cold, they still charge full speed but the knee happens a bit earlier. Not as bad as my 2018 but there is a bit of a difference.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 10994
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm
Ok, the overnight thing completely eluded me. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just charge 10 minutes, unplug then restart session to get a faster charge.
I don't think that'll help on the Bolt. It sounds like if it's too cold, too bad until the battery's warm enough from charging, usage, ambient temps and/or the (2 kW?) battery coolant heater.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6246
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:24 am

Apparently there's $8500 customer cash discounts available for 2020 Bolts. Seems like a good deal?

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14954
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 am

DaveEV wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:24 am
Apparently there's $8500 customer cash discounts available for 2020 Bolts. Seems like a good deal?
No. w/o a "significant" increase in charging speed, I would hold onto my money and wait for 2021... I guess...

They do imply the energy gained will be greater resulting in an additional 10 miles of range in 30 minutes. In my "80 kw" charger (advertised as 100 kw) I am getting roughly 33 to 41 additional miles of range over my 40's 50 kw charger for the same time period.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 10994
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm

Someone in a Bolt FV group pointed to some prices from Good Chevrolet in Renton, WA: https://www.goodchev.com/VehicleSearchR ... Casc#promo.

They show 2020 Bolt's LT's as low as $22,912 and Premier as low as $26,954. Unfortunately, they reflect a $2K discount for "Customer must trade in a 2010 or newer, 100k miles or less". So, add $2k if you don't wish to trade in.

As a reminder, tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is still $1875 thru the end of March 2020.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1602
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 am

Screw that. Take your 2010 or newer car with less than 100k miles and privately sell it for what it's worth.
Probably double that $2k.
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

cwerdna
Posts: 10994
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm
Someone in a Bolt FV group pointed to some prices from Good Chevrolet in Renton, WA: https://www.goodchev.com/VehicleSearchR ... Casc#promo.

They show 2020 Bolt's LT's as low as $22,912 and Premier as low as $26,954. Unfortunately, they reflect a $2K discount for "Customer must trade in a 2010 or newer, 100k miles or less". So, add $2k if you don't wish to trade in.

As a reminder, tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is still $1875 thru the end of March 2020.
Seems like the cheap cars I mentioned above are gone but https://www.criswellchevrolet.com/Vehic ... rice%7Casc looks pretty decent.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14954
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:23 am

cwerdna wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm
cwerdna wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 pm
Someone in a Bolt FV group pointed to some prices from Good Chevrolet in Renton, WA: https://www.goodchev.com/VehicleSearchR ... Casc#promo.

They show 2020 Bolt's LT's as low as $22,912 and Premier as low as $26,954. Unfortunately, they reflect a $2K discount for "Customer must trade in a 2010 or newer, 100k miles or less". So, add $2k if you don't wish to trade in.

As a reminder, tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is still $1875 thru the end of March 2020.
Seems like the cheap cars I mentioned above are gone but https://www.criswellchevrolet.com/Vehic ... rice%7Casc looks pretty decent.
Yeah, well we knew they wouldn't last at that price.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

specialgreen
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017
Location: Minnesota

Re: Chevrolet Bolt

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 am

Question on road-tripping a Bolt in winter (I'm a Leaf owner but considering buying a bolt to take trips without gas).

I take a few annual trips during winter... say, about 500 miles each way (3 DCFC sessions) at about 20F ambient (-7C). I've read that the Bolt is slow to DCFC when cold. But I've also read that the Bolt will preheat the battery to 27C (80.6F) if it is plugged-in and fully charged. If you are plugged-in overnight before a winter trip, would you get full-(bolt)-speed charging at all three DCFC stops? (like 40kw below 60%SOC at Chargepoint/Greenlots and 50kw at EA?)

If you didn't plug-in overnight (such as when staying at a hotel), would only the first DCFC be slow, then subsequent DCFC sessions would be full (bolt) speed?

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”