Wrong Plates in Illinois

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefkeith

Just got my 2014 S last night, and noticed the dealer put the wrong plates on the car. I live in Illinois, so I should get the EL plates. I completely spaced and forgot to check the plates before I left the dealer. I bet it's going to be a pain for them to make it right. Had the fees been itemized instead of lumped together, I would have spotted the mistake right away. I'm also seeking a refund for the extra amount I paid - we'll see how that goes!

PS, this is my first post on the forum, and I apologize if this topic has been covered - I did a search and didn't find it here. And thanks for all your help, these forums were an excellent resource for purchasing my car. I feel like I made an informed purchase thanks to this wonderful community!

http://imiev2012.blogspot.com/2012/10/illinois-electric-vehicle-plates-part-2.html
This is the info I used to get my plates corrected when my dealer completely failed to follow my instructions on the plates. It took me from June til December to get the plates, and til March to get the money back from the state. I got a temp plate from the dealer, so I just sent the 'normal' plates back to SOS when I got them to prove I did not use the plates. If you have them on the car already, this may be harder to get your money back. Not that it's real easy otherwise, as I spent several hours and letters back and forth with SOS. There are IIRC, three forms listed to get sent off along with the original plates to the state.

Thanks for the reply!

I talked to the dealer today, and he said they'd simply void the plates and get the right ones tomorrow. We'll see how easy that is. I'lll look at the link you posted and prepare myself for the worst!

chefkeith said:
Just got my 2014 S last night, and noticed the dealer put the wrong plates on the car. I live in Illinois, so I should get the EL plates. I completely spaced and forgot to check the plates before I left the dealer. I bet it's going to be a pain for them to make it right. Had the fees been itemized instead of lumped together, I would have spotted the mistake right away. I'm also seeking a refund for the extra amount I paid - we'll see how that goes!

PS, this is my first post on the forum, and I apologize if this topic has been covered - I did a search and didn't find it here. And thanks for all your help, these forums were an excellent resource for purchasing my car. I feel like I made an informed purchase thanks to this wonderful community!

A quick search using 'IL SOS' (which is our version of a DMV) came up with this right at the top:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15346

Plus, this long running thread has tons of stuff on Chicagoland LEAF owners ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=357&start=1460

Unfortunately, this wasn't totally your dealer's fault (although if they've sold many LEAF's they should know to at least offer the 'option') -- the 'EL' series plates in IL are indeed 'optional' not required for EV's; I've seen a number of LEAF's, Tesla's and even a single Ford Focus EV with 'normal' IL plates on them as well as those who opt for vanity or Environmental plates, etc. The EL series will save you money over the standard plates ($18/yr renewed every 2 years versus $101/yr for annual renewal of the normal ones) but are not mandatory --- most people would simply transfer plates from a trade-in, etc. and not ever know that these were available.

If you haven't already, be sure to read through that last thread as IL offers a 10% MSRP cash rebate (up to $4k) on purchased EV's (no leased cars) as well as has a program for a 50% rebate to cover the coast to install an EVSE at your home (must use a IL licensed contractor).

Welcome to the forum and be sure to post your LEAF details under the 'I got my LEAF' thread ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2099&start=1760

Hopefully your dealer will work through the plate swap; it may take awhile to get the 'EL' plates from the IL SOS and we're seeing plates in the 15xx and 16xx now (check the thread and you'll see what I'm talking about).

Back