Wow, the car is awesome - but humbling RANGE experience!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occ

We picked up our LEAF and get ready to make the anxious 87 miles drive back from

Mossy Nissan Poway to Tustin, 2 adults and 2 kids.I used the word "anxious" (and not for the last time) there because we had hoped to stop by my uncle's house 18 miles on the way back and charge for a few hours, but as you know, buying a car is never fast or easy. By the time we got done with all the orientation and paperwork, it was past 11pm. It was too late to stop ANYWHERE, so we decided to go for it all and drive the entire route without stopping!

For those of you who knows the area, I-15, 78, I-5, was a pretty average drive in terms of energy consumption, even a bit on the "easy" side - esp going east to west on the 78. I kept my speed right at 59-60 for all of that first 30 miles on the freeway. As my miles-to-go gets smaller, my guest'ometer actually gained when compared to the miles-to-go. I got more confident

until....

"The stretch from Camp Pendleton to San Onofre". We've driven this stretch countless times, and until now, never noticed the gradual rise in elevation until driving the LEAF, trying to get home! By the time we got to San Clemente, the anxiety came back. In that ~25 miles, my speed gradually dropped from 60 to 55 as my anxiety level rised. I think by San Clemente, we had 30 miles to go while the guest'ometer said 25! There was one point where my LEAF said "You may not reach the desination. Press button to ...". Yikes!

"Rise in elevation not done yet". San Clemente to Mission Viejo on the I-5 kept climbing as it goes inland. You'd never really call it a mountain driving, but last night, it felt like it to me! By the time we got to Lake Forest, I was down to 50mph. I've never done that, and wouldn't do it again in SoCal freeway. But it was past midnight, so it seemed safe, and we had 1 bar and ~15 miles to go! This is where my anxiety was the highest. As we past Lake Forest, I was contemplating stopping at OC Nissan Irvine, but past it by mistake since my brain was busy calculating and trying to remember where to get off the freeway. Oh well.

Luckily, from there I was in familiar territory, and knew the surface streets well. We got off the freeway with 8 miles to go and the "low battery" (actually I dont remember when "low battery" happened since my brain was on anxiety alert around then). I kept to 38mph even in areas marked "Max 55mph", since it was well into 12am, and the steets were empty. ONce I got on the surface streets (8 miles to go), without the "very low battery" warning, it was a huge relief! That was thanks to all the MNL members and their experiences, speed/distant graphs, etc.

That last 8 miles, I remember, I lost the last bar, but keeping at 38mph, so the guest'ometer had just enough range to get home. In reality, with the later LEAF delivery and the new firmware, I was pretty confident about the reserves. I never got the "very low battery" warning, so might have been fine taking the freeway at 55mph instead using surface streets for that last 5 miles, but I would have been sweating it, I think.

Summary:
~50 miles freeway at 60mph
~20 miles freeway at 55mph
~5 miles freeway at 50mph
~15 miles surface streets ~35mph
total 90 miles on a full charge...
all bars gone, "low battery", but no "very low battery" warning.
(ps. did not use cruise control)

The LEAF range met my expectation, and I gained range experience that you can only get after doing it yourself. I hope this will help others, but as always, YMMV.

Congrats on your purchase and good on you for doing the necessary reading here to understand how to "surf the range, and max it out on your first drive and make the journey home with 4 passengers and elevation gain! After a while you quickly get a feel for the various routes you take but those first few transition experiences are, how shall I say, exhilarating!
cheers,
g

I did the exact opposite trip to pick up my LEAF. We bought from Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa and drove it back to San Diego. So I know what you mean about being a bit anxious on your first trip, especially one that long. I had them stuff every electron they could into the pack before I left. We had gone on a test drive and the car had been on for an hour while they walked me through everything. So I had them charge it to the top while we finished the paperwork. Then, when I headed south on the 405, I did a trick I learned on MNL. Save your battery early during a long trip because, unless you can recharge, you can't get back what you've used. So I quickly ducked behind an 18 wheeler doing 50 - 55. I kept a safe distance and I wasn't causing the slow down. When I arrived home I had 13 miles of range remaining and it felt great!

Yikes, occ, sorry you had to go through that anxiety. My house was on your route home, but by the time you got to Irvine, you would have been almost home, anyway. Sorry I wasn't able to help out, and glad you made it!

For others in the same circumstance, there are now Level 2 charging stations in Laguna Beach in a parking lot very close to City Hall, at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. I would think that these would all be available 24 hours a day, but I don't know that for sure.

Congratulations on being wise enough to know that you should have been able to make it, and take the necessary precautions to insure that you did.

You probably had at least 10 miles left (at 38mph).

:)

Glad you made it. A lot more guts than I would have had. For that distance, I wouldn't have driven more than 55 MPH until I got a lot closer to home and knew I had plenty of charge left to complete the trip.

occ said:
until now, never noticed the gradual rise in elevation until driving the LEAF, trying to get home!
Although it will be a while before I get my LEAF (in the forgotten 36), I noticed the same thing the first time I drove the Hertz rental LEAF in NYC. I drove about 21 miles with a 500 foot elevation gain, and the indicated range went from 96 miles to 50! However, on the return trip (500 foot elevation loss) I drove 26 miles and the range meter only dropped from 50 to 47. This LEAF, I'm reasonably sure, did not have the software updates at the time.

When I got to my destination, all thoughts of taking a significant side trip to extend my LEAF experience disappeared, as I had not thought about the elevation gain and was just thinking about getting the car back. After my return trip, which was actually longer, but used less energy, it dawned on me that it must have been the elevation that made the difference.

ENIAC said:
...Then, when I headed south on the 405, I did a trick I learned on MNL. Save your battery early during a long trip because, unless you can recharge, you can't get back what you've used. So I quickly ducked behind an 18 wheeler doing 50 - 55.

Yep, should have started at 55mph. But even at 60mph, a semi went over one lane to pass me up..night driving, I guess...and I didn't want to go faster than 60mph to draft him...hard to know what would have been better.

Boomer23 said:
Yikes, occ, sorry you had to go through that anxiety. My house was on your route home, but by the time you got to Irvine, you would have been almost home, anyway. Sorry I wasn't able to help out, and glad you made it!

Thanks Boomer..actually, since it was so late, we didn't want to stop anywhere. Had I gotten a upgraded EVSE we wouldn't have used it anyways that night.

TonyWilliams said:
Congratulations on being wise enough to know that you should have been able to make it, and take the necessary precautions to insure that you did.

You probably had at least 10 miles left (at 38mph).

:)

Thanks to you and others for range experiences and analysis here at MNL. I wouldn't have made the trip if I hadn't been on this forum and collecting all the info before the delivery....or if I was foolish enough to do so, I wouldn't have known what to expect and surely be another casualty of "turtle".

Even knowing what to expect with the LEAF range, my mistake was underestimating that very gradual but seemingly endless climb on the stretch across San Onofre and Laguna Hills.

occ said:
Even knowing what to expect with the LEAF range, my mistake was underestimating that very gradual but seemingly endless climb on the stretch across San Onofre and Laguna Hills.

I've been using the elevation map here to figure out elevation changes.

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/03/aint-no-mountain-high-enough.html

evnow said:
occ said:

I've been using the elevation map here to figure out elevation changes.

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/03/aint-no-mountain-high-enough.html

Thanks for the link. This is a great resource for those longer car trips. I can see elevation changes and relate them to known charge spots. Something that combines this map with charge station locations would be ideal (hint Recargo)...

Back