Will Nissan retrofit the 3.3 charger to 6.6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmp647 said:
In japan normal house voltage is 240v all the outlets in the house
So the stock charger is setup for a 16 amp max on 240

That's why we are limited here

When did they change it to 240? About nine years ago it was 100V.

evnow,
Yes, I agree, 13 to 16 amps is all that is generally available at the commonly-found home-sockets worldwide.

Then, costly (too time consuming) to change later (right now), when it more important to concentrate on getting the car itself out in quantity.

garygid said:
evnow,
Yes, I agree, 13 to 16 amps is all that is generally available at the commonly-found home-sockets worldwide.

Then, costly (too time consuming) to change later (right now), when it more important to concentrate on getting the car itself out in quantity.

But Nissan was going to require the install of a 6.6kw EVSE completely changing that.

LEAFfan said:
kmp647 said:
In japan normal house voltage is 240v all the outlets in the house
So the stock charger is setup for a 16 amp max on 240

That's why we are limited here

When did they change it to 240? About nine years ago it was 100V.

ALL residential voltage in Japan is 100v. There are two national variations around the 100v, some are at 50 and some are at 60 Hz cycles.

They have not changed to 240v.

I lived there for 5 years and have been back recently, so this is not conjecture on my part.

I would certainly have paid a few hundred dollars extra for 6.6KW. But of course we were never offered the opportunity.

evnow said:
We have a saying in software. If we want to get in all the features, we will never ship.

The software is done, all software-based chargers can be set to limit power. It is the easiest thing to do.

Sorry, my fault.

I do not know what Nissan "was going" to do. In any case, they did not do it, and the MANY things that they "might have done" (like offer gold paint) do not seem to be as important as discovering what they "did do", or are "planning to do".

But, my mistake.

garygid said:
Sorry, my fault.

I do not know what Nissan "was going" to do. In any case, they did not do it, and the MANY things that they "might have done" (like offer gold paint) do not seem to be as important as discovering what they "did do", or are "planning to do".

But, my mistake.

They actual first required an L@ EVSE until a few people and advocacy groups pushed back and they modified what they were doing. Gary, that was what the were doing and going to do until it changed, the waiver was never made public.

I just ordered a pizza and although I'm paying for it I'm wondering when you will take me up on my pizza bet. When is your scheduled delivery date? Have you narrowed down your EVSE search yet? :)

If NIssan was smart, they can still change the onboard charger, they have not made that many leafs yet, and when their current inventory runs out, they could always switch it out.

They could also just wait for the Smyrna, TN plant to come online, and offer the 6.6KW upgraded charger in the 2012 model, and since they will be made in the US, most could take the larger charger, without worrying about them not being usable in the "worldwide" market... they are destined for US locations only. Also, since even the world market, you still need an EVSE, so the portable plug in for the 220-240V countries could still be a 3.3kw (16A) model, it would work fine on the larger charger, just offering the Leaf what its capabilities are.

Am I the only one that is just fine with 3.3Kw charger?
Just because I can't grab a free 50 miles range while I eat lunch I should be dissapointed?

I think businesses would install more electric spots if they only had to provide 3.3Kw
I would prefer twice the spaces as opposed to twice the power.

smkettner said:
Just because I can't grab a free 50 miles range while I eat lunch I should be dissapointed?

I think businesses would install more electric spots if they only had to provide 3.3Kw

The 3.3kw charger is fine for overnight charging, it's just the 6.6k is much better for "opportunity" charging. As far as public chargers , they could be either 3.3 or 6.6, doesn't matter, but most seem to be using 6.6 for now. In the future, they could be designed for 6.6 and be switchable by the installer down to 3.3 or even less, depending on what the capabilities of the location can supply, or the owner is willing to supply

Just saying if the business can spare 100 amps you get just two 40a feeds or you can have five 20a feeds.
If I am the third to pull up I would prefer to have five slots.

For a large shopping center it might be the difference between 50 or 100 slots.
For a small business the owner may skip it as the electric bill is high enough. Or there will be a fee.

EVDRIVER said:
They actual first required an L@ EVSE until a few people and advocacy groups pushed back and they modified what they were doing. Gary, that was what the were doing and going to do until it changed, the waiver was never made public.
I tend to question that. The very first communication I got about a charging dock was on June 16, when they invited me to make an appointment for an assessment. At the bottom of that email was written, in fine print:
AeroVironment Inc. is the Nissan recommended partner certified to conduct the assessment and install the home charging dock for the Nissan LEAF™. You are under no obligation to use AeroVironment Inc. in this capacity. Should you elect to use an alternate installer, please call 1-877-NO-GAS-EV.
I guess maybe the "L@" in what you said was supposed to be "L2", and that Nissan email does seem to imply you need some L2 EVSE. But the purported pushback and the waiver were about whether an AV dock was required, and your original correction to Gary was over a 6.6 kW dock as opposed to a 3.3 kW dock.

EVDRIVER said:
Based on that comment that means NO for exiting cars and it will be standard on all future cars.

I was in the conversation with Randy, Mark and sdbonez. I was the one who asked Mark that question. Mark said, "Yes" when I asked him if I can purchase the upgrade in the future. I also asked if the heated seats and steering wheel upgrade was possible? He said, "No."

Malcolm :geek:

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:

The 3.3kw charger is fine for overnight charging, it's just the 6.6k is much better for "opportunity" charging. As far as public chargers , they could be either 3.3 or 6.6, doesn't matter, but most seem to be using 6.6 for now. In the future, they could be designed for 6.6 and be switchable by the installer down to 3.3 or even less, depending on what the capabilities of the location can supply, or the owner is willing to supply

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread who does not already know, the charger is in the LEAF for L1 and L2 charging. The EVSE (what most people think of as the charger) can be L2 3.3kw or L2 6.6 kw but the current model Leaf will only suck it up at the 3.3kw (or 3.7kw as I just measured) rate.

Malcolm :geek:

Since 20 April 2010, Nissan has not required an AV L2 EVSE, or even any L2 EVSE at all, AND Nissan supplies a L1 EVSE with the car.

Perhaps there were other plans before that.

I am still looking at the L1/L2 (100v to 240v), 32-amp (field adjustable), plug-in, small-sized EVSE from SPX, rumored to be out "soon" and probably (also rumor) cost noticably less than the AV hardwired L2 30-amp EVSE.

Unknowns: E-Fuel Cord length and how the Max-Amps setting is "adjusted in the field".

But, still waiting.

Back