Why was this HUGE Screw-like thing in my Leaf??!! Confused

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '13 didn't come with one- it's missing. I'm trying to find one on Ebay to buy (there's lots) but can't see spending $22 on a bolt. So am looking for that good deal to be had sometime before I actually need it.

RePo said:
My '13 didn't come with one- it's missing. I'm trying to find one on Ebay to buy (there's lots) but can't see spending $22 on a bolt. So am looking for that good deal to be had sometime before I actually need it.
You're in luck: I have an extra tow eye that came with an Altima jack that I purchased off of eBay:
u26g.jpg

I just tried it on my LEAF and it fits correctly.

Are you sure you don't have one in the tool kit located in the tool compartment on the left side of the trunk? If not, it's yours for the cost of mailing it (PM me).

stjohnh said:
IT'S NOT A TOW HOOK !!

It is a tie-down hook and only used to hold the car in place if car is placed on a flat bed truck. See pg 6-14 and 6-15 in the 2013 manual. Specifically says Do NOT use hook to tow vehicle.

Looking at the Owner Manual, and the Roadside Assistance Guide, there is a discrepancy in the warnings.
The front eyebolt is referred to as a Recovery Hook in the Roadside Assistance Guide, and the rear loop is referred to as the Tie Down hook.
The Owner Manual refers to both of them as tie down hooks, and says not to use the front one for Recovery.
No clue what should be used, instead. The Owner Manual refers to a recovery hook on the next page, as if someone only edited one reference.

Back