Why not use percent SOC as a range estimate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyleaf1

Hello,

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've seen quite a few posts talking about the range people are getting for their cars. However, when they're describing, they often refer to the "fuel gauge" with bars on the right side of the dashboard.

Why don't people just use the percentage screen that you can select as the final indicator of how many miles/percent battery they're getting? Is the percentage screen not as reliable as the bars?

Like usually I get a 34 mile range when I use 35% of the battery for a work trip. Doesn't that work better than saying that I used 2.5 bars or whatnot?

I tend to have the two numbers match up as I near the end of a trip as well, but not always. Driving always or almost always in Eco mode tends to make the numbers converge at about 40 miles, but I think that just means I'm being consistent. The 'Guess 'O Meter' tends to get more accurate as I drive as well. If the SOC meter were accurate from the beginning, we'd have that near-mythical 100 miles' range...

sunnyleaf1 said:
I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've seen quite a few posts talking about the range people are getting for their cars. However, when they're describing, they often refer to the "fuel gauge" with bars on the right side of the dashboard. Why don't people just use the percentage screen that you can select as the final indicator of how many miles/percent battery they're getting?
The simple answer is because most people on the board don't have that percentage screen. It didn't exist on any 2011 or 2012 LEAFs. You will see many references to add-on meters built by people here, in good part because we really, really, wanted something better than the 12 fuel gauge bars. Congratulations on getting a car with that very nice addition. I got one too, and really depend on it. I only wish I didn't have to keep pushing that button on the left of the dash as I flip back and forth between the "Energy Economy" and "State of Charge" displays. I hope it's rated for at least 50,000 contacts, because I must hit it at least 30 times a day.

Ray

planet4ever said:
sunnyleaf1 said:
I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've seen quite a few posts talking about the range people are getting for their cars. However, when they're describing, they often refer to the "fuel gauge" with bars on the right side of the dashboard. Why don't people just use the percentage screen that you can select as the final indicator of how many miles/percent battery they're getting?
The simple answer is because most people on the board don't have that percentage screen. It didn't exist on any 2011 or 2012 LEAFs. You will see many references to add-on meters built by people here, in good part because we really, really, wanted something better than the 12 fuel gauge bars. Congratulations on getting a car with that very nice addition. I got one too, and really depend on it. I only wish I didn't have to keep pushing that button on the left of the dash as I flip back and forth between the "Energy Economy" and "State of Charge" displays. I hope it's rated for at least 50,000 contacts, because I must hit it at least 30 times a day.

Ray

And you can thank this forum for you having it. We told Nissan it was necessary, and they listened for the 2013 model year.

mwalsh said:
And you can thank this forum for you having it. We told Nissan it was necessary, and they listened for the 2013 model year.
and despite that "fact" they still ignore the people here and prefer to put together a "focus" group on FB

Wow, that's really refreshing to see that Nissan is willing to listen and make real changes based off customer feedback. I knew that things like the charge port light were new for 2013, but man, that percentage screen is absolutely what I depend on. I basically compare that percent with the miles I've driven, because those things are concrete and absolute, and at the end of the trip I can see my percent/mile ratio, then I record it and take an average after awhile of collecting data. My current average seems to be right around 1%/.93 miles.

Thanks for telling them about the necessity for such a feature :D

sunnyleaf1 said:
Wow, that's really refreshing to see that Nissan is willing to listen and make real changes based off customer feedback. I knew that things like the charge port light were new for 2013, but man, that percentage screen is absolutely what I depend on. I basically compare that percent with the miles I've driven, because those things are concrete and absolute, and at the end of the trip I can see my percent/mile ratio, then I record it and take an average after awhile of collecting data. My current average seems to be right around 1%/.93 miles.

We told them that a charge port light was needed too. :D

And the sunvisor extensions. :D

And the 6kW charging. :D

And there is more.
  • I'm pretty sure they replaced the goofy parking brake engage/release lever on the console with the foot pedal because some of us complained. (My wife pulled it while we were on the freeway thinking she was opening the console storage compartment.)
  • They got rid of the hump behind the back seat containing the charger, creating a considerably larger hatch storage area.
  • I'm almost positive they added insulation above the overhead glasses compartment because we said our sunglasses got too hot to put on.
  • They added a button on the key fob to unlock the charge port door.
  • They implemented "B" shift (except on the S model) for those who wanted more regen.

Ray

I paid more attention than usual to SOC vs range estimate on my drive to work tonight. It is almost dead-on at speeds below 56MPH, in Eco mode, on more or less level roads, even with the A/C set for modest cooling (lowest fan speed, temp just a bit lower than outside). They start to 'wander away' from each other at freeway speeds, in Normal (I still think it should be called "Sport) mode, and with brisk hill climbing or acceleration.

I couldn't help but add more:

We also told Nissan about:

having a "dark" interior option,
leather interior,
improved audio,
locking charge port,
no navi (and Carwings) as an option,
better HVAC (not having the heater engage when you just want fresh air),
remote unlocking feature for the charge door,
more efficient heater...

There's probably more, but thanks to many on this forum and regional groups--we're glad these changes made it to 2013 at least.

Now if they can address the wimpy horn (though many folks also changed that out on their own too)...

LeftieBiker said:
It's a good feature, all right, but it's my understanding that it too is just a "guess" instead of an exact state of charge reading...
The amount of charge left in a Li-ion battery can only be estimated from voltage, history, temperature, etc. The exact state of charge is only known by Schroedinger's cat.

DeaneG said:
LeftieBiker said:
It's a good feature, all right, but it's my understanding that it too is just a "guess" instead of an exact state of charge reading...
The amount of charge left in a Li-ion battery can only be estimated from voltage, history, temperature, etc. The exact state of charge is only known by Schroedinger's cat.
Noooo! Are you saying that the mere fact of checking the SoC might (or might not) kill the cat? :ugeek: If so, Nissan really has to get away from using quantum instrumentation, or I'll sic the ASPCA on them. :cry:

DeaneG said:
LeftieBiker said:

Which points to the fatal (so to speak) flaw in that thought experiment. The cat is also an observer. It's no different from "Shroedinger's Mom" or "Scroedinger's Kid" being in the box. Anyway, what I meant was 'The SOC meter isn't as accurate as it could be'.

apvbguy said:
mwalsh said:
and despite that "fact" they still ignore the people here and prefer to put together a "focus" group on FB
Well, it was also partly because of pleading for a % SoC meter and giving explanations as to why the GOM was crappy at the December 2011 meeting at Googleplex. The Nissan quality guy kept drilling/asking for info about why it was bad. It seemed to really sink into the Nissan folks, including Kadota-san (Chief Vehicle Engineer) that something had to be done.

DeaneG said:
LeftieBiker said:
Yeah, there was a summary given by Kadota-san about how you really only "know" the SoC at 1 point in time, w/no load (when the car's off). Once you put a load on it, it becomes a guess/estimate. I ran this by a friend who has some EE knowledge and flies battery powered remote-controlled airplanes. He essentially agreed and agreed w/the difficulties of "guessing" how much is left, even in % terms.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155842#p155842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was someone's summary. One might want to skim forward starting from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6049&start=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I don't want to type something that's wrong now (due to faulty memory on my part) as the meeting was over 1.5 years ago.

Back to the focus group and all, at a SF BayLEAFs meeting earlier this week, a Nissan product planner from Franklin, TN showed up and gave a presentation. He's the product planner for Leaf, GT-R and 370Z. I raised the question about what the best way to was to submit feedback. His answer was that he preferred if the group (SF BayLEAFs) compiled suggestions and removed the duplicates. My response was that shouldn't the # of requests for something have some weight? We could remove the dupes but at least put a # (e.g. # of requests) by them. I think we should also ask requester to rate the request in terms of importance (e.g. would be nice to have to MUST have).

I unfortunately didn't get to hang around him afterwards to talk to him or see what others had to say. I ended up in a conversation w/someone else there, not from Nissan. :/ I would've wanted to talk to the Nissan employees afterward...

I think local groups providing suggestions is a decent idea, but there is some lag and some regions could be under/not represented (e.g. those w/NO Leaf groups). And, us Bay Area folks wouldn't be hitting certain issues as badly as say Phoenicians (e.g. battery degradation). I don't think it's that practical for Nissan folks to constantly actively monitor MNL and compile info as that can be almost a full-time job. And there's the quantitative data reliability problem (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=293091#p293091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for trying to gather data by posts on a forum.

I know some Nissan corporate employees (not those at dealers who aren't actually Nissan employees) do view MNL, but I don't know how often and to what degree. They're often responsible for other vehicles too and... well, Leaf is a drop in the bucket vs. more mainstream Nissan products.

A bunch of suggestions were given to Nissan at the December 2011 meeting via slides at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=243337#p243337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There wasn't time to go over all of them verbally or drill down into all of them, but Nissan got the slides.

planet4ever said:
sunnyleaf1 said:

Ray

Ray, to keep from having to flip back and forth, you could keep the "status" screen up on the center screen (unless the S model doesn't have that screen available). I'm finding that the mi/kWh on the center console screen matches the main dash much better in my 2013.

sunnyleaf1 said:
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've seen quite a few posts talking about the range people are getting for their cars. However, when they're describing, they often refer to the "fuel gauge" with bars on the right side of the dashboard.

Why don't people just use the percentage screen that you can select as the final indicator of how many miles/percent battery they're getting? Is the percentage screen not as reliable as the bars?

Like usually I get a 34 mile range when I use 35% of the battery for a work trip. Doesn't that work better than saying that I used 2.5 bars or whatnot?

I have a 2013 LEAF also, as well as a Gid meter. I find that the %SOC that you are referring to matches the % Gid on the Gid meter quite well (although it doesn't match the %SOC on the Gid meter, or the %SOC on the Android Leaf Battery App). So, as you say, the new dash display is quite useful. But it might become less useful as the car ages, because the battery pack will store less and less energy as it ages. So we may find that we have a 100% charge, but it will be 100% of a smaller energy content.

I don't think we yet know whether this new %SOC display is truly %SOC or if it is showing % Gids or something similar. Actually, showing % Gids would be more useful, as it represents usable energy content. But as the battery ages, it would also show a lower percentage number with a full charge, something which might worry owners. I don't know which quantity Nissan has chosen to display.

mwalsh said:
sunnyleaf1 said:

sfbayleafsmnl

We told them that a charge port light was needed too. :D

And the sunvisor extensions. :D

And the 6kW charging. :D

Here is a photo from the meeting with the Nissan engineering team at Google our local owners group helped organize in December of 2011. The engineers asked the audience if they would prefer an SOC indicator in percent over a guessometer, and the photo shows the response.

googlenissanmeeting

Additional feedback was collected here on MNL and elsewhere and presented at the meeting. I think the owner community definitely had a significant impact on the 2013 LEAF, and Nissan has confirmed that as well. There could be a similar meeting in the near future.

linkim said:
Nissan Engineering Team Meeting 120311

And here is the link to the appendix containing the LEAF owner modifications:

LEAF Mods Summary 120311

In addition to the presentations, there were lots of communication and visits (Mountain View office) with Nissan that included some unedited/raw survey data.

googlenissanmeetingpurpose

Boomer23 said:
Ray, to keep from having to flip back and forth, you could keep the "status" screen up on the center screen (unless the S model doesn't have that screen available).
Center screen? :D There's nothing there but audio information in the S model. However, you did have a good suggestion in your next post. Maybe I'll have to break down and get a GID meter. I was waiting for a LEAFscan, but ...

Ray

Back