Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DesertDenizen said:
cancell my XM radio subscription. My Iphone plugs into a USB port, allowing full access to my IPOD AND IHeart radio. Now, if you have not tried IHeart, you should. It is amazing, free, and way more customizable to your listening needs than XM. Savings: $18 a month.

Just a footnote here. Each year as my XM comes due I call them to say I must cancel because the fee is too high. They then say how about a year at $8 a month, and I accept.
The latest promotion I received was $25 for six months. If you hold out longer you might get a better deal. :)

dgpcolorado said:
DesertDenizen said:
cancell my XM radio subscription. My Iphone plugs into a USB port, allowing full access to my IPOD AND IHeart radio. Now, if you have not tried IHeart, you should. It is amazing, free, and way more customizable to your listening needs than XM. Savings: $18 a month.

Just a footnote here. Each year as my XM comes due I call them to say I must cancel because the fee is too high. They then say how about a year at $8 a month, and I accept.
The latest promotion I received was $25 for six months. If you hold out longer you might get a better deal. :)

I'll let you call for me next time, you are obviously much better at dickering!

DesertDenizen said:
dgpcolorado said:
DesertDenizen said:

I'll let you call for me next time, you are obviously much better at dickering!
I didn't call, it was just a mailing since I let XM lapse long ago; it has no value for me. I realize that if you really want XM you likely wouldn't be willing to wait for the really good promotions. But the next time you do call, you might mention the deal and see what they say...

New thread started here

I need a Gidmeter on Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 1pm. Anybody who can meet us at the Blink chargers at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North, San Diego (not easy to see from the street... pull in directly to the building and turn right... they are in front of the parking garage), we only need the Gidmeter for about 90 minutes:

1pm

84.7 mile loop

Blink charging station at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North (CA-56 @ I-15)

0.6 miles

I-15 south to Exit 2B to CA-94 west

17.7 miles

CA-94 west to I-5 north Exit 1A

1.5 miles

I-5 north to Exit 51B ( I-5 north @ CA-78 east)

36.4 miles

CA-78 Exit 17A (CA-78 east @ I-15 south)

12.0 miles

i-15 south at CA-56 bridge overpass

0.6 miles

Blink charging station at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North (CA-56 @ I-15)

bobsfreeleaf said:
Hi surfingslovak (great name!): Tony and I are going to do that run to LBW on Sunday. Another CA boy :cool:
Thank you, and good luck on Sunday! Need to surf more and post less on car forums :-D

bobsfreeleaf said:
Where do you commute from Encinitas? Do you drive 76 miles most days??
My usual drive is about 24 miles/day. Driving more than 35 miles/day is rare for me - typically done on weekends if going near downtown.

Good luck with the range test tomorrow!

New thread started here

Ok, one more request for Sunday at 1pm. I would like to find the newest 2012 LEAF to run at the identical time on the identical route.

The car would need to be charged to 100% tonight, and left plugged in. Then, it would need to be driven to the staging site (Blink chargers at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North, San Diego (not easy to see from the street... pull in directly to the building and turn right... they are in front of the parking garage) with enough time to charge the car back up to 100%.

Tony

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, one more request for Sunday at 1pm. I would like to find the newest 2012 LEAF to run at the identical time on the identical route...

If any 2011-12 driver of any perceived battery capacity makes this test, I'd suggest you try to match the charging temperature of the 2013, and also monitor your recharge capacity, as I suggested earlier.

And of course, in this range test like any other, be sure to use Carwings to monitor your LEAFs "driver efficiency", which the 2013 S, unfortunately, cannot.

[/quote]
And of course, in this range test like any other, be sure to use Carwings to monitor your LEAFs "driver efficiency", which the 2013 S, unfortunately, cannot.[/quote]

:cry: Carwings envy :cry:

I see Google has a multiple destination function. I guess that will be my "carwings lite". https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...67kqregDHGbD4ANu6bmQ&oq=92110&mra=ls&t=m&z=11. If they could overlay the charging stations, you might have a pretty good poor mans' tool.

edatoakrun

...And of course, in this range test like any other, be sure to use Carwings to monitor your LEAFs "driver efficiency", which the 2013 S, unfortunately, cannot

="bobsfreeleaf"
Carwings envy

Well, in a range test like you seem to be planning today, relatively flat, at near-constant speed, the difference between the two LEAFs in the amount of regen braking used should be fairly small, so the lack of CW data shouldn't matter too much.

But it will be informative to test Nissan's claim of increase regen efficiency in the 2013 MY, which only a driving test of a 2013 with CW, compared with any 2011-12, on a more "real world" route (in driving conditions where regen use is more extensive) can tell us.

In fact, I would have little use for CW IF the energy consumption data reported from my LEAF was consistent and reliable, but it is not.

I believe using CW is how 2011-12 LEAF drivers can determine that the nav screen is the "correct" m/kWh number, rather than the dash, and how they can access the slightly more precise kWh use numbers from which both m/kWh reports are calculated.

You have only the one one m/kWh report, from the dash, right? And hopefully, has been corrected in the 2013 MY.

You may want to look at my own LEAFs range test history, using a very different methodology than you have planned for today, that I have posted here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EdmondLeaf said:
Fred, looks like Leaf will fit your commute. What model, options you have in mind?
We're looking at a base 2013 SV..
Just one month ago we were actually looking at late model/ low mile used cars, but the drop in the price tag for the 2013's (along with the tax rebate) it makes sense to look at the Leaf
The new S series is a great entry for 2013, but I feel the 6.6 kw charger is a must, so with that package you're awfully close to the base SV. Plus...being in the Northeast, getting the Hybrid Heater System is an added bonus.

Great news! I just test drove a 2013 SV and you no longer need to push 'OK'. It does it automatically as soon as the car is on. :D Also ECO stays on ECO after turning the car back on.
B mode definitely has much more regen than just ECO. In ECO, removing foot from pedal at 35mph got me 2 regen bubbles, but B mode got me 5 at that speed.

LEAFfan said:
Great news! I just test drove a 2013 SV and you no longer need to push 'OK'. It does it automatically as soon as the car is on.
The 2013 SL I played with still had the OK. Maybe it doesn't ask until carwings is activated?

-Phil

Ingineer said:
LEAFfan said:
Great news! I just test drove a 2013 SV and you no longer need to push 'OK'. It does it automatically as soon as the car is on.
The 2013 SL I played with still had the OK. Maybe it doesn't ask until carwings is activated?

-Phil

Yeah, that must be it because the screen that comes up says "0n" plus a large paragraph explaining something. I couldn't believe that they eliminated the touching of 'ok' so I didn't read much after 'On'.

EdmondLeaf said:
After all, is fair to say that range for 2013 is very much unchanged as proved by Tony and Bob

in certain situations. we cannot take a single drive test as anything other than a single incident with its applicable levels of maximum variance.

already see people who are driving farther including one guy who drove 80 miles (added a trickle charge in between which does cloud the matter) at "60-70" mph including significant elevation changes, etc.

now, the EPA has radically changed how they determine EV range and we all knew that the 2011-12 was shortchanged on the range but the Japanese did not change anything and still saw large improvements. granted, their test emphasizes different things but to say we will see no benefit at all is not something i am willing to accept at this point. there is not enough data out there for me yet

LEAFfan said:
Ingineer said:
LEAFfan said:

-Phil

Yeah, that must be it because the screen that comes up says "0n" plus a large paragraph explaining something. I couldn't believe that they eliminated the touching of 'ok' so I didn't read much after 'On'.

oh so maybe its hit "ok" once and it stays that way until you go into settings and say "not ok?"

LEAFfan said:
B mode definitely has much more regen than just ECO. In ECO, removing foot from pedal at 35mph got me 2 regen bubbles, but B mode got me 5 at that speed.
Now that is good news! The test I'd like to see is a long mountain descent. Drive a 2013 LEAF with B mode up to my house (or some other mountain town with an EVSE, but then I wouldn't be available to participate). Charge to 65-70% SOC, make the almost 5000' descent back down to the Valley at 45-55 mph, and use a GID/SOC meter to estimate the amount of charge gained. While a newer 2012 LEAF would be an ideal control vehicle, my 2011 LEAF might suffice. Both LEAFs could be driven in convoy. We'd want them to start out with similar battery temperatures.

Why start with 65-70% SOC you ask? For our regular drives down the hill, it's so we have enough charge to return home.

Back