When it rains a lot, my car turns into a sauna.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverton

I have a 2013 Leaf SL. I leave the vehicle outside at night. When it rains heavily, I come out in the morning and the windshield is dripping wet on the inside along with the side windows. I have a towel to wipe down the windshield so I can at least see out so I can drive it to work. The carpets are dry as well as the spare tire area. Anyone else having this issue? Also the 2013 uses a heat pump instead of heat strips so wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I've also noticed heavy condensation build up on the windshield interior a couple of times as well, when the car was left outside for a few hours in cold/damp weather (I garage it at home.) I have a 2013 SV. I'll keep a closer eye on this and report back.

A disconnected condensate line would result in a pool of water in the carpet, which would take quite a while to migrate to the windows. Also, condensate is only produced while the A/C is running...

I've used this in the past to help against fog and condensate build up in side the car.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7050305-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-GPLA-_-7050305&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=7050305&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&gclid=CJ_d_IeEp7oCFU6Y4AodDBcAOg#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=7050305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this regularly with my LEAF:

http://tinyurl.com/mxvpnfg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well sealed cars do this and if that was it, end of story. but the problems start because we introduce moisture into the car from ourselves coming in from the rain or fluids left in the car, etc.

I would start with making sure you don t leave any open drinks in the car, extra clothing that might retain moisture, etc. then try a desiccant.

I don't have this problem but only because I park in garage with windows OPEN and that makes all the difference.

In another thread (can't find it at the moment), I recall that part of the problem is that the seating material in the Leafs absorbs moisture more than most cars, and that drying out the interior of the car well (as I recall by leaving the heater on overnight with the windows cracked) helps solve the problem (for a spell anyway).

stjohnh said:
In another thread (can't find it at the moment), I recall that part of the problem is that the seating material in the Leafs absorbs moisture more than most cars, and that drying out the interior of the car well (as I recall by leaving the heater on overnight with the windows cracked) helps solve the problem (for a spell anyway).

They also mentioned pre-heating the car with the windows cracked to get the moisture out.

gsleaf said:
stjohnh said:

They also mentioned pre-heating the car with the windows cracked to get the moisture out.
probably not a good idea. Too much wind and rain. The car coukd be soaked by morning

DaveinOlyWA said:
gsleaf said:
stjohnh said:

probably not a good idea. Too much wind and rain. The car coukd be soaked by morning

Oh, lol, only if you're in a garage...

I have to say that we've had periods with *lots* of rain - tropical type rain - and I park my car outside, with the windows rolled up. I have had zero problems with condensate.

EV's lack the waste heat of an ICE to keep it dry inside. Also, It's easy to want to conserve energy to get the greatest range by minimizing climate control use. we breathe out quite a bit of moisture when we are in the car and this gradually gets soaked up by the upholstry. the car will start to even smell funky if you let this go long enough. I've found that you need to make some effort to dry out the Leaf periodically. prewarming the car in the cold wet winter helps by giving the dehymidifier/AC a chance to extract the moisture while also raising the temperature and thus the amount of moisture the air will absorb from the upholstery.

it sounds like you need to do several rounds of prewarming. if you do an 80% charge then prewarm, you will be able to do a longer prewarm... from 100% the BMS will cut short the prewarming to avoid overcharging the battery, at least in 2011-12's. I recommend cycling the prewarming a few times till you see no moisture left on the inside of the windows. once you get a feel for this, you'll develop a sense of how often it needs to be done. if you let it go too far, the amount of frost that forms on the inside of the window in the cold will get difficult to deal with. the car needs to be plugged into 240 or you will loose range while prewarming, especially as it gets really cold.

Back