When is Nissan Connect Carwings Going away, i.e., 3G

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ToddA1966 said:
alozzy said:
They should have used an off the shelf daughter card, like those found in cell phones, and provided a SIM card or the option to use your own SIM. Also, they could easily incorporate Wifi connectivity, so that you can choose to connect to your home Wifi or a cell phone hotspot as an alternative to a dedicated 3g or 4g data plan.

But then how would they be able to charge you $12/month for the basic Connect plan after the 3 year trial runs out?

This is the same nonsense we put up with with GPS asset trackers for pets, bikes, cars etc. Rather than grab your own prepaid SIM that costs you $2/month, you get to pay a $10-20/month subscription fee for the "tracking service".

Agreed, like you I'm cynical about their intentions and I realize no car manufacturer will be altruistic enough to do that. Doesn't stop me from being annoyed about it though ;)

Stanton's comment, earlier in this thread, is what got me going:

I'm not going to get into a debate over the technical aspects of telematics: the fact is, the Leaf will continue to operate over cellular (not WiFi)...which is a very good thing

I agree with gmcjetpilot, it's the Orwellian nature of these embedded technologies, and IoT devices in general, that really bothers me.

Now that we are about a year out (February 2022) from AT&T shutting down their 3G network, I think it's time to find out if Nissan is working on a 4G modem upgrade for the TCU (not even going to speculate about 5G...not to mention coverage issues).
Someone on this forum must have "inside" contacts at Nissan; if so, I'd like to know how we can get a status (or put a bug in their ear) about an upgrade.

Well here in Germany we are facing the end of life of 4G in summer this year I don't know about other EU countries - and Nissan still replies "we have no idea - stay tuned and be patient" when asked via support portal.

At the Swiss border the situation is even funnier: Switzerland just switched off 2G and keeps 3G, the others around switch off 3G and keep 2G.

Thus ZE0 users that did NOT install the 3G update then can use the API in Germany just fine, but not in Switzerland.

Other ZE0, and all ZE1 users can continue using the API in Switzerland, but not in Germany.

Sigh.

chk said:
Well here in Germany we are facing the end of life of 4G in summer this year I don't know about other EU countries - and Nissan still replies "we have no idea - stay tuned and be patient" when asked via support portal.

At the Swiss border the situation is even funnier: Switzerland just switched off 2G and keeps 3G, the others around switch off 3G and keep 2G.

Thus ZE0 users that did NOT install the 3G update then can use the API in Germany just fine, but not in Switzerland.

Other ZE0, and all ZE1 users can continue using the API in Switzerland, but not in Germany.

Sigh.
I have a hard time believing that any operator would end 4G service anytime soon: not enough (cheap) 5G handsets to sell.
Similarly, I'm surprised that anyone (in the Western world) still has 2G infrastructure.
I'm hoping someone from Nissan (or with ties to Nissan) responds to this thread.

Back