What type of EV would you like to see offered?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my situation, the LEAF is "practically perfect in every way". It fits exactly the need I currently have for a second car.

So for me personally, I would like the next EV to be able to replace my BMW 335i convertable. The ESFLOW is close if it came with a convertable option. However, I was oh so close to buying the G37 convertable, so if Nissan comes out with an EV G37 convertable with the same performace (or better) as the ICE version, range ~200 miles, QC 80% in 30min (is this a dream?), it would be bye-bye BMW, hello Nissan.

I was really looking forward to the PHEVJeep Patriot. But when Chrysler went bankrupt the project was killed. That is when I got interested in the LEAF.

TimLee said:
Although I don't have the LEAF yet, my main reservation with it will likely be that it is a bit too economy level.
My reservation is just the opposite. :!:

Shucks, I drove nothing but VW bugs and busses until into the '90s, when I stepped way up to a base level stick shift Dodge Caravan. Then I couldn't believe what I was getting myself into when in '04 I got the cheapest Prius available. I wouldn't have done it, but it was the closest I could get to an electric and still satisfy my family needs.

So what kind of an EV would I like to see? One with no buttons on the steering wheel, no fancy screens on the dash, no automagic climate controls, no Bluetooth or iPod or satellite radio or umpteen speakers. I'd like a simple car where you can roll down the windows with a crank, open the doors with a key, and adjust the mirrors by hand.

Ray (just call me Luddite)

TRONZ said:
Yes a F350 replacement. Pretty Please!
I think a plug in hybrid F350 would be good. 250hp ICE for cruising the flats and 200hp electric for acceleration and climbing hills might work well.
Maybe even some pure electric miles to avoid using the small diesel for getting groceries. I believe diesels hate short trips even more than gassers.

planet4ever said:
TimLee said:
Although I don't have the LEAF yet, my main reservation with it will likely be that it is a bit too economy level.
My reservation is just the opposite. :!:

Shucks, I drove nothing but VW bugs and busses until into the '90s, when I stepped way up to a base level stick shift Dodge Caravan. Then I couldn't believe what I was getting myself into when in '04 I got the cheapest Prius available. I wouldn't have done it, but it was the closest I could get to an electric and still satisfy my family needs.

So what kind of an EV would I like to see? One with no buttons on the steering wheel, no fancy screens on the dash, no automagic climate controls, no Bluetooth or iPod or satellite radio or umpteen speakers. I'd like a simple car where you can roll down the windows with a crank, open the doors with a key, and adjust the mirrors by hand.

Ray (just call me Luddite)

You've heard of the Think City or the Wheego Life, right?

http://www.thinkev.com/Gallery
http://wheego.net/more/vehicles/

electric pickups and vans have taken a step closer to reality, altE proposes mass conversions of fleet pickups/vans to electric.. they connect a motor to the existing transmission and replace the old V8 with a new GM 4 cyl engine driving a generator, plus a 20kwh battery and an electric AC.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/04/alte-powertrain-technologies-and-manheim-partner-to-retrofit-alte-range-extended-electric-powertrain.html#more

Previously they talked about $25k for the conversions. They believe that fleet vehicles will quickly recoup the expense (plus they get a new warranty on the drivetrain) but dont think private owners would benefit since they dont drive enough miles.

Much as I would love to have an electric "Godzilla" (aka GT-R), for me the LEAF is a nearly-perfect second car/commuting vehicle. I'd like a bit more room in the back seats and cargo area, and of course more range, but I'm sure both will come in future generations.

Now as to my perfect "second car"...it would be a PHEV Subaru Outback with at least 30-40 mile all-electric range at highway speeds (< =90 MPH). It would be my wife's "around town" car...all electric during the week. On vacations, it would be our travel car, hopefully getting 60-70 MPG on the highway.

On the other hand, I've always advocated for a small [motorcycle-engine-powered, emissions-controlled] range-extending trailer for EVs, for exactly those long-drive situations. If one existed for the LEAF (and preferably one that I could rent when needed), then it could be a primary car for me. Alas, not today... :cry:

The Leaf is pretty close to what I want. What I'd like to see is enough improvement in the battery pack to make the car longer for more cargo area, and extend the range by about 50%. That would cover me for all my "local" driving, even if it's 10F-20F out. The current Leaf covers about 90% of my local driving, but some of the hauling from Home Depot is going to be a problem. May have to rent their truck.

My Leaf is fine. i just checked my Quarterly gas bill verses last year

1st Q 2010; 2 Priuses and Zenn EV

1st Q 2011; Prius/Leaf (took Delivery Jan 17th so 2nd Prius driven very little)

my gas cost for the primary Prius went up 21% but usage went done 17%. so that means my Leaf covered 100% of the Zenn, 100% of 2nd Prius and a portion of the primary Prius usage.

other than very minor issues (no car is perfect) i dont see another viable option out there for me. A Tesla S would be nice, but the extra range would only be used occasionally and i could not afford double the price anyway so its a non-issue at this point.

charlie1300 said:
What I'd like to see is enough improvement in the battery pack to make the car longer for more cargo area, and extend the range by about 50%. That would cover me for all my "local" driving, even if it's 10F-20F out. The current Leaf covers about 90% of my local driving, but some of the hauling from Home Depot is going to be a problem. May have to rent their truck.

Rumors say the new Nissan battery chemistry will double the range, at the same weight. Stretching a car adds a lot of weight, supposedly 100lbs per inch but I cant see how it can be that much.

Long4Leaf said:
For my situation, the LEAF is "practically perfect in every way". It fits exactly the need I currently have for a second car.

So for me personally, I would like the next EV to be able to replace my BMW 335i convertable. The ESFLOW is close if it came with a convertable option. However, I was oh so close to buying the G37 convertable, so if Nissan comes out with an EV G37 convertable with the same performace (or better) as the ICE version, range ~200 miles, QC 80% in 30min (is this a dream?), it would be bye-bye BMW, hello Nissan.

I'm driving a BMW convertible which I really love. My ideal EV would definitely be a convertible of some kind. Long range wouldn't be an issue for me as I would use it as the commuter car. Leather seats and the fittings of a higher end car would be preferable. If everyone would drive EVs the air would be sweet and smog free!

Adrian said:
KeiJidosha said:
TRONZ said:
Yes a F350 replacement. Pretty Please!
Done!

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/09/bremach-t-rex-is-worlds-most-badass-electric-vehicle-w-video/

That thing looks awesome!

Oh Baby! :p Come to Papa... but it needs more range. :cry: Has to make the track and back on one charge.

The 2014 Volkswagen "Bulli" is a remake of the old "microbus" of the 1950s-60s-70s etc. It will have an 83mph speed, 0 to 60 in less than 12 seconds, 43KwH battery for 185 mile range (? what type of conditions, load?), iPAD on the dash on a stalk, two moonroofs, two bench seats for six, folding for more load space, and 4 regular doors. Price is expected to be $25K or a bit more. Other models with diesel or gas engines planned. EV prototype is at NY auto show this week, with a management green light to send it into the real world. (I drove a 1970 VW microbus for 15.5 years, and Plymouth Voyagers for the last 25.5 years.)
I like the idea of the experimental Mazda car with hydrogen gas fuel miniWankel-to-generator, battery pack, and electric motors on wheels, that can also run a bit on gasoline if necessary. A bit too complex and cramped inside, but a nice engineering exercise.
Gregg
Leaf SL + QC white #1597 with June (?) delivery.

AndyH said:
Great question!

I'm looking forward to the Leaf - no doubt! But it's more than I need but I'm willing to suffer through it. :lol:

I'm with Steve - something closer to a Gen1 Insight, an EV1, or even Aptera (RIP) would give me the two seats plus grocery room that I need.
And much lighter and with far many fewer gee-gaws. I just need to drive from A to B, not also microwave popcorn while watching the Home Solar Panel Channel.

starry said:
The 2014 Volkswagen "Bulli" is a remake of the old "microbus" of the 1950s-60s-70s etc..

That seems cool but I really would like a real remake of the bus that could be used as a camper.

My crazy dream would be a microbus camper style bus that's electric with a small diesel range extender, a solar roof (they're getting lighter), and heck why not... even pedals in the passenger seat so you can exercise and add some (very minimal) juice to the batteries.

cdub said:
starry said:
The 2014 Volkswagen "Bulli" is a remake of the old "microbus" of the 1950s-60s-70s etc..

That seems cool but I really would like a real remake of the bus that could be used as a camper.

My crazy dream would be a microbus camper style bus that's electric with a small diesel range extender, a solar roof (they're getting lighter), and heck why not... even pedals in the passenger seat so you can exercise and add some (very minimal) juice to the batteries.
How about solar Surfboards?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/06q4/volkswagen_microbus_chameleon_concept-car_news

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2014_volkswagen_microbus_rendered-future_cars

Back