What I've found about the car so far

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gudy said:
Here's the backup sound ... the audio quality doesn't make justice to the real beauty of the sound (ok, I'm exagerating a little bit, but the sound sounds better for real than in the video).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91OjNFeArM[/youtube]

Gudy - thanks for all your great info. What amazes me is that this backup sound is so soft that those pedestrians who need it the most (the elderly) may not be able to even hear it!

That is the backup sound but I would guess the speaker is in the nose. I like it! Sounds really unique.

Yeah, the speaker for both backup and forward sound are in the front of the car. I realized that when I wanted to record it.
The only one you can really hear form the inside is the backup one.

Can people nearing the car, but not yet behind it (crowded parking lot), really hear the backup sound clearly?

The ability to make the sounds LOUDER for a moment would ACTUALLY be useful.

garygid said:
Can people nearing the car, but not yet behind it (crowded parking lot), really hear the backup sound clearly?
Difficult to say - we could clearly hear it. Ofcourse it was a quite garage - and I was standing perhaps 30 ft away.

Yes, a lot different with noisy traffic nearby, other cars moving, people talking to each other, yelling at their children, etc.

For the backup warning to be effective, rather than just satisfy some possible future law, the sound needs to be HEARD.

garygid said:
For the backup warning to be effective, rather than just satisfy some possible future law, the sound needs to be HEARD.
For that the car needs to figure out the ambient noise and raise above it ...

evnow said:
garygid said:
For that the car needs to figure out the ambient noise and raise above it ...
And the next car reversing out of the parking space ... raise above THAT ... and the next car ... :lol:

No need to out-shout the next car over. Just add to the "local danger" warning.

Then, unless you are BLIND or just do not care (VERY frequent here), the backup lights help localize which car us actually going to move.

No more fox news related stuff here. I've moved those posts to a new thread. Sorry for the collateral damage.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2074

well one thing that would be nice; most backup beepers are annoyingly loud. i have been in covered garages where the backup beeper was almost painful to listen to because of the echoing off the concrete floors and ceilings. it would be great if the Leaf sensed background noise and adjusted the volume accordingly.

why i think this; it would be unusual to have the backup beeper in the front (albeit everyone seems to do it) when the sound should be projected out the back where the pedestrian is located.

but if the sound was projected from the front and a microphone was in the back to "listen" and provide feedback to adjust the volume...

ok, is that too much to ask for??

Future-Drama [16.15]
[Bart and Homer are flying around in an imperfect hovercar.]
Bart: Why'd you buy the first hovercar ever made? Didn't you know it'd take a while to work out the kinks?
Homer: I know! It's a hovercar!

Hi Gudy, and thank for all the info about your car !

Like a previous post asked, i would like to know how much Kw the car display show when you put defrost with maximum heat ? Je demeure au Quebec dans un climat tres froid l'hivers, le systeme de chauffage/degivrage sera utilisé souvent. I took the liberty of speaking french because i think you are french ? and my english is not very good.

Merci pour les informations

paraski40 said:
Hi Gudy, and thank for all the info about your car !

Like a previous post asked, i would like to know how much Kw the car display show when you put defrost with maximum heat ? Je demeure au Quebec dans un climat tres froid l'hivers, le systeme de chauffage/degivrage sera utilisé souvent. I took the liberty of speaking french because i think you are french ? and my english is not very good.

Merci pour les informations

Hi Paraski40,

I think Gudy is on vacation for a few days; so he may not respond to your question for a while. Welcome to the forum! :)

gudy - I just wanted to thank you for all of the time and effort that you have put into answering questions on this site, and just posting your observations. I'm sure when you placed your reservation, and then your order, you were just thinking of how nice it would be to own a LEAF electric car. Now that you have it, your life has been dominated by it. As more vehicles are released in the near future, you will slowly gain your life back. Meantime, thanks again for your contribution to our knowledge about the car in a real-world environment.

paraski40 said:
i would like to know how much Kw the car display show when you put defrost with maximum heat ?
The climate control KW meter goes up to 6 KW. Defrost with max heat would probably use both the heater and the A/C, so it will likely get close to 6 KW (my guess is 5 KW). Guess we'll know for sure when gudy returns from vacation :)

dsc03108-630t.jpg

johnr said:
paraski40 said:
i would like to know how much Kw the car display show when you put defrost with maximum heat ?
The climate control KW meter goes up to 6 KW. Defrost with max heat would probably use both the heater and the A/C, so it will likely get close to 6 KW (my guess is 5 KW). Guess we'll know for sure when gudy returns from vacation :)

Sweet! Now, is it possible to get a digital readout of the energy usage (power)? Like, do they have a way to read it as a number; to what extent? to the nearest kW, the nearest 100 W? Half-kW? Or is it only the dial estimation?

At some point I am going to get that Power Curve Equation for the as-built car!

A shame you can't test the total charge of the battery at 100% or 80%. If you could measure the total charge of the battery under full conditions in say tenths of a kWh, you could get a handle on the estimated battery capacity. For instance, 2.2% per year would mean an initial charge of 24.0 kWh would be 23.5 kWh after a year and 23.9 after 3 months, which would mean 80% total capacity after 10 years. I guess that can't be measured without draining the battery, though. :(

Back