What is your favorite RSS Feed and why. String to enter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 7875

Hello all, I am Larry, an electrical safety engineer in Portland, OR. I just got my new LEAF last week, and I immediately convinced my brother in California to buy one this week. We both got identical Blue cars, so we started of calling them twins. Then it occurred to me, the cars would be first cousins.

I did search the past posts and did find a lot of information about RSS feeds dated back in 2010, and a lot of discussion about how to set up your own RSS feed with a web cam at your house, etc., etc.

But what I would really like is for members to share their favorite RSS feeds from Nissan or major media like CNN covering current events or entertainment and the string I would enter into the NAV system to get the feed. I am curious about trying out some of the more interesting or entertaining ones to see if I even want my car reading to me.

For example, I really like Laugh USA on XM channel 96, so I might like an RSS feed to tell me daily jokes, but I have never done anything with RSS feeds, and really don't have the time to figure it out from reading multiple posts. If there is a breif tutorial or Nissan Favorites List, please point me to those.

+1 Ironically, the only RSS feeds that I found of any value ceased to operate when Nissan patched the location bug some time back...

Caracalover said:
I am writing this simply to follow this post, since I have not found anything worth using this feature.

the LeafLink destination transmission is my favorite, and the only one I use. I can use my phone to find a destination and transmit it to the car...even the passenger can do it while we are driving. We use it all the time.

Thanks all. So, no one is using it to get CNN headlines, Weather reports, Sports scores, Stock quotes. This is probably why the details I found through search were dated 2010. Probably most people have graduated to smart phones. I may end up getting one. I have stuck with a feature phone to save $30 monthly data feed, but now I guess there are some plans where I can buy $10 monthly data. It just all adds up you know.

I think I need to find and download a Carwings App for PC, becuase I still don't see how I can send the car messages and tell it to do things on the web. The special Nissan Owners log in for LEAF owners lets you register, sign up for alerts, and has Apps to download for phones, but I still don't see any interface to tell the car to heat its cabin.

I had one set up for weather reports but between the terrible interface, glacial pace, and mispronunciations it was a curiosity that I tired of very quickly.

Update, I found the Easter Egg link under my Vehicle to enter Carwings where I could start charge, Start climate control and look at energy use and ranking. They say I am making "Good" use of energy and on the verge of moving from Bronze to Silver in my regional ranking, i.e. I am still on the bottom but learning.

My favorite thing was I figured out how to plan my route using CarWings PC interface where it will access everyone's energy conservation data by road driven and suggest routs to avoid hills and such. So Monday, I will use this new route to work to see how it compares to my regular route over Sylvan on the Sunset. Like the way this CarWings PC Route Planner works, sends the route to the NAV in the car and lets you name the route to pull up later.

So the procedure to start a new trip 1) log onto CarWings on my PC and turn on the climate control, 2) plan the most efficient route and send it to the car. 3) Get into a warm car, pull up the route and enjoy the drive.

palmermd posted a suggestion about getting the Leaf Link app for your smartphone (I have an iPhone), which I pass on here.

This is a TERRIFIC app, much better than Nissan's and basically bypasses the dreadful CarWings upload process from Plan Your Route or even the acceptable Google "Send to Car" feature by the use of an RSS feed. This app lets me upload my address book, map destinations, and GPS coordinates in a very simple process. It also has the usual vehicle status and charge remote control features. I haven't tried uploading a route yet,

Tip 'o the hat to Mr. Heasley, the app author, for a very nice app, which is also free! (there are in app purchase options for additional features).

NoMoShocks, since you're in Portland you might like this blog. Electric Avenue PDX / http://evspotter.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (rss feed: http://evspotter.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) It's just a bunch of photos of all the EV's parked on Electric Ave. just outside of the PSU campus.

gsleaf said:
NoMoShocks, since you're in Portland you might like this blog. Electric Avenue PDX / http://evspotter.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (rss feed: http://evspotter.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) It's just a bunch of photos of all the EV's parked on Electric Ave. just outside of the PSU campus.

Yes, thanks I did find that very interresting. Wondering what make that car is with the California plates, and how many times the charged if they drove it up from CA.

Oh, looked at photos again, Guess it is an iQ.

Back