What is your Average miles per kwh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2017 S: Lifetime average according to dashboard (6 years 5 months old; will be bought back any day now)
5.6 mi/kwh
39,813 miles

Caveats: very little highway. Almost all on original tires (they were replaced just a couple of months ago). Almost no heat (Phoenix metro), mostly flat terrain. Driven very gently.

Got a new Chevy Bolt EUV a couple of weeks ago... too early to tell but doesn't seem to be able to get great mi/kwh, even on trips which I can carefully monitor. hmmm.
I make a routine, same,15mile round trip pretty frequently, something like once or twice a week, which i could easily average 8 (according to leafspy) with careful driving; in the bolt (according to it's dashboard) the best i've seen is low 5.something.
The Bolt has a higher eMPG. ; which sortof makes me wonder about how that works?
e.g. Bolt is 131 vs. Leaf 124 for "city"; what's up with that?

Bolt is ~ 400 pounds heavier (3,700 vs. 3,300) but that should be reflected in eMPG.
The tires on the bolt are (obviously new) so that's going to hurt effiicency to some extent.

leaf5point6kwhpermilelifetime.jpg

2017 S: Lifetime average according to dashboard (6 years 5 months old; will be bought back any day now)
5.6 mi/kwh
39,813 miles

Caveats: very little highway. Almost all on original tires (they were replaced just a couple of months ago). Almost no heat (Phoenix metro), mostly flat terrain. Driven very gently.

Got a new Chevy Bolt EUV a couple of weeks ago... too early to tell but doesn't seem to be able to get great mi/kwh, even on trips which I can carefully monitor. hmmm.
I make a routine, same,15mile round trip pretty frequently, something like once or twice a week, which i could easily average 8 (according to leafspy) with careful driving; in the bolt (according to it's dashboard) the best i've seen is low 5.something.
The Bolt has a higher eMPG. ; which sortof makes me wonder about how that works?
e.g. Bolt is 131 vs. Leaf 124 for "city"; what's up with that?

Bolt is ~ 400 pounds heavier (3,700 vs. 3,300) but that should be reflected in eMPG.
The tires on the bolt are (obviously new) so that's going to hurt effiicency to some extent.

View attachment 2960

I posted back about 2 months ago that I was averaging 4.1
But after increasing tire pressure to 44, I am getting 4.3 even though ambient temps are 30-40°F cooler.

I suspect it might be even better than 4.3m/kwh if it was still in the warmer weather?

I wonder if this measurement is one a dealer or tech can "recalibrate" to yield false results. On our 2014 S, we show 5.8 in the summer without AC/fan/lights. In the winter adding (halogen) lights drops it to 4.2. And all this is for city streets max speed 35mph. Add freeway, heat, A/C it is not so great.

I drive with e pedal and eco and never get anywhere near 5 and I always try to anticipate lights, and get regen, etc. I should come ride with you and see how you do it. LOL
It's possible the dashboard display lies! I don't have a dongle and LeafSpy, so I can't verify whether the dashboard display is correct.

It's possible the dashboard display lies! I don't have a dongle and LeafSpy, so I can't verify whether the dashboard display is correct.
You could measure your power consumption on your electricity meter...

You could measure your power consumption on your electricity meter...
Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no electricity meter among the dashboard options where you find stuff like average speed, etc. (This is on a 2016 model.) There has to be an accumulator for kwh somewhere in the data Leaf keeps, but it isn't visible on the dashboard. However, people interested in knowing real miles/kwh, judging from a web search, want some way of evaluating cumulative kwh without having to rely on the Leaf's metering, as many of them don't trust Nissan to do metering accurately. If my L2 charger had a kwh accumulator (which it doesn't, it only displays kw during charging), that would be a way to check, although that would introduce a factor for charging efficiency.

If my L2 charger had a kwh accumulator (which it doesn't, it only displays kw during charging), that would be a way to check, although that would introduce a factor for charging efficiency.
Yeah, I can see that's a problem. My issue with the Leafs display is that I don't think it is accurate at all. How can I know that the shown value for the kwh/100 km (or miles or whatever you use) is anywhere near accurate or that Nissan didn't simply divide by two or something? It would be so easy for them to do that...

Right now my average is around 18+ kWh/100 km = 5.5 km/kWh = 3.5 miles/kWh, which - according to what I can see others get on this forum - is not really good. But still - based on my latest long drive - I don't even think this is realistic at all; I seriously doubt I could get 222 km (40 kWh) on a single charge (although I havn't tested it).

I currently only use L1 charging (I havn't got my L2 charger) so it would be relatively easy to put a meter on that; then over time I could compare the real kWh/100 km with what the Leaf shows.

Yeah, I can see that's a problem. My issue with the Leafs display is that I don't think it is accurate at all. How can I know that the shown value for the kwh/100 km (or miles or whatever you use) is anywhere near accurate or that Nissan didn't simply divide by two or something? It would be so easy for them to do that...

Right now my average is around 18+ kWh/100 km = 5.5 km/kWh = 3.5 miles/kWh, which - according to what I can see others get on this forum - is not really good. But still - based on my latest long drive - I don't even think this is realistic at all; I seriously doubt I could get 222 km (40 kWh) on a single charge (although I havn't tested it).

I currently only use L1 charging (I havn't got my L2 charger) so it would be relatively easy to put a meter on that; then over time I could compare the real kWh/100 km with what the Leaf shows.
I don't trust the predicted range at all - it doesn't seem to take the temperature into account. I go by the battery% reading. In summer I get about 1.3 - 1.4 miles per kW, in winter it drops to around 1.0. It varies with the length of the journey and average speed. I generally cruise around 60mph.

Back