What is the lowest price anyone has paid for a used EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmay635703

I am tossing around the idea of buying an $11k think EV (used), I have noticed though that the MIEV comes in around $14k new with incentives if messing around with a lease and they take the tax cred.

Just curious how low you have seen the Leaf and Volts sell for.

I recall one leaf with relatively high miles in an odd location for $13.5k some months ago (2000miles away)

The 012 MIEV in some states ended up at only $12k if you had them take the local tax credits off a lease.

Anyone else waiting for the used market? Once we start getting below $10k use I am probably game (I already own an antique EV).

We live in a time of many choices but my driving an 01 insight is hard to beat even on EV, the time is coming though.

I have been hoping to get a salvage battery out of one of the new ev's but sadly the salvage cars all sell for nearly what I can buy used, lets hope millions of EVs get out there so the bottom scrapers like myself can start frankensteining the crashed up beauties :)

Cheers
Ryan

I would think the used market should start to really open up in about a year. At that point you'll have a lot of the 2011 Leafs and Volts coming off lease and going into the used market. But it is hard to say what the price point will be. A lot of it will depend on the demand for new vehicles and what you can get a new one for at that time.

Personally, I'd much rather have a used Leaf even if it were missing some capacity bars than a brand new i-Miev, but thats just me.

adric22 said:
I would think the used market should start to really open up in about a year. At that point you'll have a lot of the 2011 Leafs and Volts coming off lease and going into the used market. But it is hard to say what the price point will be. A lot of it will depend on the demand for new vehicles and what you can get a new one for at that time.

Personally, I'd much rather have a used Leaf even if it were missing some capacity bars than a brand new i-Miev, but thats just me.
the used LEAFS will languish and diminish the values because the average Joe is not up to speed on the value and reliability of the LEAF.
The marketing of the EVs has not been good, the Tesla has the stigma of being a rich man's toy and the LEAF is still an unknown entity to the majority of people.
I could show Nissan what their market should and could be, for a price.

OP, where are you located? Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $11K for a used Think EV. No way. Even though I doubt I'd ever want to buy an i-Miev, I'd rather buy that over a Think EV.

I would hunt around for used Leafs and i-Mievs. But, I doubt I'd want to own any EV w/o TMS in a hot climate.

cwerdna said:
OP, where are you located? Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $11K for a used Think EV. No way. Even though I doubt I'd ever want to buy an i-Miev, I'd rather buy that over a Think EV.

I would hunt around for used Leafs and i-Mievs. But, I doubt I'd want to own any EV w/o TMS in a hot climate.

Location WisConSin

The Think is perfectly capable and has a much larger battery pack and an IMIEV, it also in this paticular case has some rear seats installed aftermarket.

The trouble with a Think is that the parent corp is dead and gone, the peak power of the motor doesn't bother me much and there is a free update for that issue anyway.

People in Portland OR were getting new Thinks for 16,000 just three months ago. (I have friends who bought two!) With the tax rebates they paid less than you're looking to pay for a used one. After a flurry of interest earlier this year the Think forums have died down dramatically and the weekly truckload of Thinks has stopped arriving in Portland. I understand that they've burned through most of the 150 completed units from before the last bankruptcy and no production lines for whole cars or parts are currently operating.

Biggest problem reported on the Google Think group? Burned out controller board caused by starting the car with all the accessories (heat, blower, etc.) already on. I'd see how hard it is to find that part before I bought a used Think.

New battery packs (from the original production run, not made recently) are available for 10k on line.

Think was what started my EV search, Smart sold me on getting one but Nissan had the product available. That's why I'm driving a Leaf.

I would buy the Mitsubishi over the Think simply because of service and support unless you are ready to deal with the parts issues.

I am not sure I'd take a think EV even if it were free. The imiev is not bad but I'd easily pay a few grand more for a Leaf in decent shape.

I would pay $2000 for a think EV. I have seen them listed for $6,000 around here, Indiana the state they were assembled in. They are terrible.

Elephanthead said:
I would pay $2000 for a think EV. I have seen them listed for $6,000 around here, Indiana the state they were assembled in. They are terrible.

The originals were great and they had some great design concepts. It's a shame because they were fun cars.

Back