What is hidden inside HERE in the 2013 Nissan Leaf / CARGO ROOM SPACE UPGRADE REVEALED!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok then, who is first to pull out the dremel tool? Lets see the after pictures. Anyone have a plan to make it look half decent after you cut it out?

What about that BOSE subwoofer. We have one too and I like the sound, but hate the location....

In my younger days I sure would have. I mean those 2 humps(I don't have the Bose so no space wasted there) are one of my biggest beefs with the Leaf and it's cargo space, totally inadequate IMO. Those humps ruin the ability to haul larger things like a flat screen TV, etc, anything that needs to fit between the wheel wells. Our Prius has very minimal humps and therefor we have much more room in the Prius. That and the very idiotic hatch on the Leaf which doesn't let you haul anything with any height, it hits the window and back hatch. The Prius(and every other hatchback I've owned) didn't have this issue and let you stack taller things in the back and still close the hatch. I can't tell you how many times I've put something in the back of the Leaf thinking I could close the hatch no problem, only to have it hit the hatch or window :x

Hey look at this -- raising a thread from the dead! But seriously folks, I've been digging and can't find any photos of a 2013+ gen 1 leaf with these panels removed, and this thread is as good as I could get. What's underneath those bumps?? I'd love to see a photo of the trunk with all the panels removed. I don't have one myself, but when I finally do get a Leaf and get hacking on it I'll post pictures.

Thanks!

Well I spoke too soon... https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/nissan-leaf-into-rover-mini-%F0%9F%A4%9E.200007/page-2 looks like just the brake capacitor is under there.

Are you talking about post 33? If that's all that's behind those humps, and probably just the one side? that would take the cake. Losing all that storage for something the size of a cigar box, and again only on one side :x I guess I don't know but have the newer Leafs done away with those very obtrusive space wasters in the hatch area?

Hmm. Well, the autosound installer who did my sonar presumably knows what's inside the one on the starboard side, since that appears to be where he put the control unit for the sonar. (After the installation, I armored the cable to the display unit with spiral-wrap and self-fusing silicone rubber tape, from a point inside the trim to a point inside the starboard rear seat-back. But I didn't need to take the trim off, so I never bothered to figure out how.)

I wonder if the trim is common to other Nissan models. Maybe models that have a fuel fill-pipe in that area?

jjeff said:
Are you talking about post 33? If that's all that's behind those humps, and probably just the one side? that would take the cake. Losing all that storage for something the size of a cigar box, and again only on one side :x I guess I don't know but have the newer Leafs done away with those very obtrusive space wasters in the hatch area?

They are significantly smaller in the Gen 2.

LeftieBiker said:
I noticed that too. That may be why it appears wider in the back than the Gen 1. I had the Bose sub in my Gen 1 and when I moved to Gen 2, I noticed more space on both sides of the sub. Didn't know if it was because the car was wider or not.

LeftieBiker said:
jjeff said:

That would be putting it mildly. In my 2018, they only project up from the wheel wells, not inward.

jjeff said:

Yes, that's the one. Once I get my leaf and strip the trunk, I'll report back w more info.

The big reveal!

https://imgur.com/a/JjfGtts

There are some mounting provisions for something, but in any case, it's lazy packaging that compromises trunk space. I'd be mad if they were in my way (they're not now).

Here's the whole view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jfN9nP7MNB4QW8BC9

:x
I've cussed at those damn humps since getting my Leaf, they make the space in the back so unusable due to how far they come out and restrict the space, and now to find out not only is one side totally unneeded the other size is hardly needed either as you'd think they could have found another place for whatever that small thing is under the extremely large hump!
Like you said, very poor design work by Nissan :roll:
If I were using my Leaf much for hauling things around anymore I'd seriously think of just removing both those plastic pieces and maybe/maybe not looking for another place to mount whatever is under the driver's side hump.

Back