What do you think of the Leaf's rust protection?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatsShootsandLeafs

I've not known Nissans to be particularly rust prone vs, say, Subarus (I really think those rust a lot). The Leaf looks pretty much like it should be fine, with rubber gaskets around the bottom of the doors (a common rust spot).

However, the rear-wheel well for some reason lacks the plastic shield that is on the front wheel well, and in fact it seems to me that this would be a very good spot for salty snow to hang around (specifically: rear-wheel well in front of the rear wheel) and corrode.

I wonder why no plastic cover here? Rocks thrown off the wheel are going to hit the metal and I presume bust through the paint on occasion, inviting corrosion. A plastic shield is a simple solution, used by many automobiles, so I am hoping I'm just missing something here and it's not a real concern (?).

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I've not known Nissans to be particularly rust prone vs, say, Subarus (I really think those rust a lot). The Leaf looks pretty much like it should be fine, with rubber gaskets around the bottom of the doors (a common rust spot).

However, the rear-wheel well for some reason lacks the plastic shield that is on the front wheel well, and in fact it seems to me that this would be a very good spot for salty snow to hang around (specifically: rear-wheel well in front of the rear wheel) and corrode.

Yes I would agree that is a prime area for rust formation. My car gets a bath once a week and every time I bath her I take the hose and wash the crud out of all 4 wheel wells. It only takes a couple of minutes and I figure it is easier than fixing rust out later in life.

Where are you located. Here in Utah they salt the roads like crazy.

I'm in NY.

Any other input on the rust potential for this? I really don't think my concern is ill-founded. I see plastic fascias on basically all other cars' rear wheel-wells now. A vehicle I dumped a year back didn't have those and its rear wheel well was a complete mess of rust. However, it was just paint on metal. FWIW the wheel well of this seems to almost be rubbersized with a very hard rubber or something.

Back