What chemistry are my batteries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombastinator

I’ve heard that all electric cars should be treated like they have NiMh batteries in them which doesn’t sound right. That 80%-20% thing is a NiMh thing. There used to be rechargeable batteries that lasted longest if they went all the way up and most importantly all the way down. Different chemistry though. I’m having trouble finding out what the chemistry of my batteries is to find out how to treat them.

I have a 2019 leaf. Non plus.

You have a variant of lithium with nickel, manganese, and cobalt, and the 20%-80% rule applies. The day of the NiCad battery is long over, although some incorrect charging instructions seem to have come from that era.

Is there a way to set my car to not charge to maximum then or ami just hosed? Previous owner apparently used it as a commute car so he had a charge timer set. I don’t currently though so my use varies a lot. There’s a bajillion chemistries. NiCad was only one that did that. Different chemistries have different requirements. The one I was thinking of was used primarily for ecigarettes about 10 years ago. It was liked because it didn’t explode, it just turned to hot black goo which wasn’t nearly as deadly.

People who never charge to 100% either don't need the range, they are being paranoid, or they live in a hot climate.

In short, avoid habitually charging to 100% SOC and then leaving the pack idle at that state for hours/days, particularly when the ambient temperature is hot.

Otherwise, charge to 100% when you need the range or when you know you will use the car shortly after charging it.

With a 40 kWh pack, unless you drive a lot, you likely only need to charge a couple of times a week. If so, there's no harm using an overnight charge timer, so that the car is fully charged for when you next need it. However, like I mentioned before, avoid that if the weather forecast is calling for hot temperatures.

If you are lucky enough to have an air conditioned garage, then you don't have to worry much about charging to 100%.

There is no way to set your car to not charge to maximum without adding after-market firmware/devices to it. Nissan had that feature but removed it starting in 2014 and never brought it back. The charge timer is the best you can do but as mentioned, charging to 100% is fine, if done in moderation.

Here we are, 4 years after the introduction of the 2nd Generation LEAF and the redesigned battery, and there is yet to be a single credible report world-wide of the type of degradation that the 1st generation car had. 2 more years and that will the battery will surpass the entire life time of the 1st generation car. What are the odds that there will be reports of bar loss for the 2nd generation cars in 2024?

Back