What can you tell me about this 2013 from this picture?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
atikovi said:
alozzy said:
That's the problem with these older LEAFs, once the battery degrades to that point, they are only worth that kind of money if the battery pack can be replaced at reasonable cost.

However, you should be able to find a 2011/2012 with more capacity bars remaining, for less than $6k, if you are patient. You might even luck out and find one on which the pack was already replaced.

One example I was able to find for you - a 2012 SL, with 9 capacity bars remaining, for $5K asking price. You could likely get that one for $4,500, maybe even less. Worth a try...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=568844588

Definitely take a look at the SOH using LeafSpy though, as it might be ready to drop another bar...

No, not interested in that. 30 or 40 mile range per charge is fine. I want to see where people are getting $1,000 or $2,000 Leafs as one poster here claims, or that they are only worth $500 as another one does, or are those all just BS comments?

You were looking to spend $4000 on a 6 bar LEAF, I found you a 9 bar one for not much more. To me, another $500 on an EV with potentially 50% more range is money well spent...

Maybe I wasn't clear. The car was bid up to $3,700 but I wasn't in on the bidding myself. I wouldn't have paid more than $3,000.

In Washington, DC the LEAF seems to hold its value better than in some other states, based on the searches I did. So, I think you're going to have a tough time finding a LEAF for $3000.

I sincerely wish you well, as you seem to be genuinely interested in getting a LEAF. Good luck!

SageBrush said:
I'm not sure what that is good for, but it is probably worth $500 to someone.

I'd maybe spring $2K for an around town car for a high schooler (but even then there is risk as they would have to be REALLY responsible for not completely draining the battery).
A LOT of risk with this car. There is no way I could ever convince my wife to get, as she already has major anxiety with our 30Kwh Leaf that usually gets 100+ miles range.

It's an interesting question: What happens to all the really low bar Leafs at the end of their lifespan. I don't think there is much of a market for them (otherwise someone would be trying to make money on them, right?).
So many people are already nervous about range with EVs, so I'm not surprised that there isn't a lot of interest for older vehicles (with known degradation problems) with very limited range. Add in the fact that many amateur mechanics who probably don't mind working on a cheap/old gas car probably would not want to get in the specifics of an EV.

Driver8 said:
SageBrush said:
I'm not sure what that is good for, but it is probably worth $500 to someone.

I'd maybe spring $2K for an around town car for a high schooler (but even then there is risk as they would have to be REALLY responsible for not completely draining the battery).
I can imagine the car being a nice present for the 15 year old budding engineer in the family who loves arcane trivia like Gids and has no problem calculating in their head changes in consumption rate from road and climate conditions, or would immediately understand the significance of a markedly degraded cell. But the people who come here looking for the cheapest EV possible rarely fit that description, and are usually the polar opposite. OP's inability to even read the energy display (assuming that was not some goofy feint) is what I have come to expect from this group of shoppers.

Then again, I presume most golf cart owners understand very little about their vehicles. If that type of person is thinking of replacing their golf-cart with a degraded LEAF they probably have a fair chance of a positive experience.

SageBrush said:
But the people who come here looking for the cheapest EV possible rarely fit that description, and are usually the polar opposite. OP's inability to even read the energy display (assuming that was not some goofy feint) is what I have come to expect from this group of shoppers.

And to me that's a big problem for EV's right now. They're essentially only for the upper to middle-upper class and often require too much from the drivers. So money and a bit of expertise on how to read them is likely holding a lot of people back from driving one.

Driver8 said:
SageBrush said:
But the people who come here looking for the cheapest EV possible rarely fit that description, and are usually the polar opposite. OP's inability to even read the energy display (assuming that was not some goofy feint) is what I have come to expect from this group of shoppers.

And to me that's a big problem for EV's right now. They're essentially only for the upper to middle-upper class and often require too much from the drivers. So money and a bit of expertise on how to read them is likely holding a lot of people back from driving one.

I have not been able to find median new car prices but of the data I can find:

Average new car price: $38k

Average US household income: $68k
Median US household income: $52K

IF it is somewhat reasonable to think that the ratio of median/average income holds for cars then the median new car price is in the neighborhood of 38*52/68 = $29k

So I disagree with you that only middle-upper and higher can afford an EV. Moreover, not all used EVs are 30 mile LEAFs.

My take on the matter is that if an American is buying new, they want CUV/SUV/Trucks with a full menu of features and amenities. That type of EV *is* expensive because it breaks an underlying tenet of affordable EVs: efficient design to keep the battery pack size down.

I suppose this is a bit of hair splitting but it is not the $30k, it is that $30k EV energy guzzlers with decent range and 'all the trimmings' are not available.

SageBrush said:
Average new car price: $38k

Average US household income: $68k
Median US household income: $52K

So I disagree with you that only middle-upper and higher can afford an EV. Moreover, not all used EVs are 30 mile LEAFs.

For a even a mean household income of $68K, a new vehicle is not being (or at least SHOULD not be ) purchased. Used car sales outpace new car sales more than 2 to 1 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/183713/value-of-us-passenger-cas-sales-and-leases-since-1990/).
So the vast majority of Americans are looking for used cars. Decent used EVs are still pretty pricey compared to ICE counterparts. I just bought a 112 mile range Leaf for $15K used. $15K for a used car is still a lot of money for many Americans. It's the most expensive car I've bought before. This thread is clearly showing a lack of cheap, low-priced EVs as people comment about how their old used Honda is likely more appealing than this low bar Leaf.

Bottom line being there just aren't a lot of cheap or affordable EVs (at least vehicles they would seriously think about replacing an ICE, that has enough range for them) for middle to lower income Americans.

Driver8 said:
Bottom line being there just aren't a lot of cheap or affordable EVs (at least vehicles they would seriously think about replacing an ICE, that has enough range for them) for middle to lower income Americans.
One detail worth keeping in mind is that the used car market is some 3x larger than the new car market. Expressed in terms of social 'classes,' it means that few new cars are sold to households below the 75th income percentile. That pretty much erases the 'middle class' from the discussion, EV or not.

One other data source that is consistent with this view is the average cost of new and used cars in 2020
https://www.creditkarma.com/auto/i/what-is-average-car-payment#:~:text=The%20average%20monthly%20car%20payment,month%20in%20the%20same%20period.
It is about a $175 a month difference. To a 50th percentile household, applying $175 a month of discretionary funds to a car (assuming they have any at all) is a big decision.

Does the middle class buy used EVs ? Not much, but then again the used EV market is far from developed so there is really not much to talk about yet.

This 2016 taxi is selling Tuesday with 9 bars. Not for me though.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Back