What are eco trees?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohmie

How is an eco tree calculated?

I'm still trying to understand what an eco tree is and how it is calculated. It seems most logical that eco trees represent carbon emission savings.

But my initial assumption of it being a simple graphical representation of units of carbon saved doesn't work out:

On a recent drive, I racked up 2.2 eco trees, while saving 33 lbs. of carbon, according to carwings. This suggests that one eco tree = 15 lbs. of carbon. In total, I've generated 12.0 eco trees and have saved 196 lbs. carbon over the course of my driving for a week (eco tree = 16.33 lbs. carbon). Mmnh, a bit off. Look at the 'World Eco Forest' and it shows 2978 eco trees have been generated, with 12 tons of carbon saved (eco tree = appx. 8 lbs. carbon). Way off.

So what are eco trees?

I agree. But then, maybe it'll make a nice decoration come the Christmas season...
Seriously, I wish that had replaced the silly tree with something more useful and real.

mwalsh said:
Of course, it could just come down to every piece of data we're being handed by the LEAF, either by the car directly or via Carwings, is complete and utter tosh! :lol:

ECO trees are a silly marketing feature thought up by those that have no EV driving experience. GIve it a year and see how few use this and would prefer more helpful instrumentation like SOC or kw consumption. Look at all the real estate they give you for battery temp that never moves and can have an alert VS something that people could actually use and learn from.

EVDRIVER said:
ECO trees are a silly marketing feature thought up by those that have no EV driving experience. GIve it a year and see how few use this and would prefer more helpful instrumentation like SOC or kw consumption. Look at all the real estate they give you for battery temp that never moves and can have an alert VS something that people could actually use and learn from.

I agree 100%; my main complaint on the car.

There must be a standard by which the trees are generated? They can't just be random! Funny that Nissan has never defined what the eco tree signifies... Anyone?!

eco trees i am guessing is the same as the "leaf cars" on the Prius.

its a representation of how much regen was attained. the real question is what is the value of each tree? how much power does it represent?

without this, its impossible to determine the efficiency of the charger as that would be power added after charging.

Trees are not purely regen based. You can grow trees without regen, and you can fail to grow trees even if you have some regen. You get tree segments by keeping the instant gauge (the circular display) high for a period of time. A light touch on the gas pedal, less violent acceleration, dragging out regen opportunities where possible and safe, minimizing climate control etc. will keep that meter high and lead to production of tree segments.

From the manual:

ECO INDICATOR
The ECO indicator displays how economically the vehicle is being operated. The meter display is affected by the following conditions:
. Accelerator pedal operation.
. Brake pedal operation.
. Driving conditions.
. Traffic conditions.
. Heater and air conditioner usage.
. Time the vehicle is not moving while the vehicle is in the READY to drive mode and accessories are on.

Instant ECO driving level:
The instant ECO driving level is displayed by the number of bars that increase (more economical
driving) or decrease (less economical driving) depending on vehicle operation.

Long term ECO driving level
Long term ECO driving is indicated by the large tree symbol. The longer the vehicle is
operated economically, the more segments of the big tree are displayed. When all of the segments of the big tree are displayed, a small tree indicator is displayed, and the big tree
display resets. The longer the vehicle is operated economically, more small trees are displayed.
Big tree and little trees that were illuminated while driving are turned off when the vehicle power is turned off. The trees that were displayed are stored in the navigation system to show long term efficient vehicle operation.

To increase the ECO driving level and for information about driving the vehicle efficiently,
see “Improve driving range” in the “EV Overview”

Ohmie said:
I'm still trying to understand what an eco tree is and how it is calculated. It seems most logical that eco trees represent carbon emission savings.

Which is ironic since the trees themselves would like the emitted carbon! Plant food!

Electric4Me said:
Ohmie said:

Which is ironic since the trees themselves would like the emitted carbon! Plant food!

Think of it as a count of how many trees they're starving.

sansoy said:
I found this site that demonstrates visually how trees are earned.
http://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/electric-vehicles/electric-leaf/leaf/discover/3D/explore/ecodrive.html

I did not see anything there that explained what each tree means. Just some simple techniques to drive more efficiently (which will earn you more trees). I agree with everyone else that this tree thing is useless, and the battery temp gauge is waisting too much dash real estate. Just put a small temp gauge with an alarm when it it out of spec, remove the trees completely and put in a real SOC meter that has at least 100 points of resolution.

Electric4Me said:
Ohmie said:
...which is ironic since the trees themselves would like the emitted carbon! Plant food!
I think what's ironic is that an eco-friendly car like the LEAF comes with two inches of printed paper manuals... ;)

I suppose they'll make for good reading material if we ever get stuck somewhere waiting for 1-800-NOGASEV to come to the rescue.

palmermd said:
...put in a real SOC meter that has at least 100 points of resolution.
Make sure to ask for an SOC gauge that reads out in 1% increments (0-100%) in the surveys and feedback Nissan sends you. Maybe part of an expert mode. Maybe they'll do it in the Gen 3 LEAF..

The fluffly trees probably have appeal to new, less technical drivers of the LEAF. Technical drivers or people who have had the LEAF for some time will mostly prefer a reasonable accurate 0-100% SOC gauge.

ElectricVehicle said:
palmermd said:
...put in a real SOC meter that has at least 100 points of resolution.

The fluffly trees probably have appeal to new, less technical drivers of the LEAF. Technical drivers or people who have had the LEAF for some time will mostly prefer a reasonable accurate 0-100% SOC gauge.

I think you nailed it here. Trees give you feedback about how efficient you are driving. Sort of like earning credits in a video game.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney said:
Electric4Me said:
Ohmie said:

Think of it as a count of how many trees they're starving.

too much of a good thing is not good and CO2 levels for trees is no exception.

currently dangerous (in that they compete for the same food we do) microbes fail to thrive due to lower levels of CO2. its already proven that increasing CO2 levels will not allow plants to thrive.

its like saying that higher O2 will allow us to thrive. in an O2 starved environment (running marathons, etc) its been shown to help, but much above the 20 some % we have now would be disastrous

daniel said:
wsbca said:
... A light touch on the gas pedal...
GAS pedal??? Your Leaf has a GAS pedal??? I sure hope my Leaf, if it ever comes, doesn't have a gas pedal!
And if you come from a farm you may call it a "foot feed"
If you used to drive a diesel it was called the "loud peddle"
Some might just use the generic "throttle"

Any others ;)

Back