What 2000 watt generators have you used to charge your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFish

Now that someone has developed a trailer hitch for the leaf: http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1041

I'm thinking of getting a 2000 watt suitcase size generator and mounting it in something like the Thule hitch mount case to keep it secure and adding some ventilation ports.

665C_oc_sized_166x110.jpg

I have seen several posts on using the Honda 2000 generator. What I would like to know is if anyone has used any other brands of 2000w generators?
I am intrigued by the Champion and the Generac ones sold at the local hardware stores at half the price of the Honda.
I would appreciate any thoughts and especially experience with other brands you may have.

My thoughts are that with the 4 stage leaf charger (any AC, interim DC, higher voltage AC, battery level DC), that it should be able to handle any cruddy power that you throw at it. I would think that this is a prime example of when a cheap generator would be ideal. Anyone want to loan me one to try out?

Interesting article, I wish it included one of the models I mentioned since they are not "cheap" models, rather I will refer to them as mid priced models. Generac is actually made in the United States, and they are inverter style not direct alternator types.

DarkStar said:
MrFish said:
I am intrigued by the Champion and the Generac ones sold at the local hardware stores at half the price of the Honda.
It's all about the inverter: http://www.jkovach.net/projects/powerquality/ :D

That's why the Honda costs what it does...

MrFish said:
Any particular unit you suggest I look at? It would still need to be an inverter style?

smkettner said:
Cheap 240 volt would be my choice.

For Revision 1 evse upgrade 3000w rated should work so something like this:
http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46554/
I don't own this and wattage is close. Might be better to get the 3500. I understand LEAF is power factor corrected so it should be OK.

For Revision 2 you need 4000 to 4500 watts continuous rated (not surge).

If you want a quiet inverter style a Honda 6500 but that is a bit much to spend and larger than you need.

I just can't imagine running a generator 16 hours on 120v to get charged. The larger generators also hold more fuel so hopefully you would get charged without refilling.

I wonder how many gallons of gas it would take to fully charge from low battery warning. I am guessing about two gallons.

smkettner said:
MrFish said:
If you want a quiet inverter style a Honda 6500 but that is a bit much to spend and larger than you need.

Yep, I've got one of those (named EU65iS over here), 230V version. It will happily charge my Leaf at 3.7kW and my battery bank at 1.6kW at the same time for hours on with no issues whatsoever. An excellent generator on all accounts, but quite expensive and heavy. Very quiet for the power output.

Back