Wet Okole Seat Cover Installation DIY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
OK. So a question for the masses. How long does it take for that gawdawful "new seat cover stench" to go away?
The care kit I ordered from Wet Okole comes with an odor eliminator bottle (beside a shampoo bottle and a surface UV protectant bottle). Maybe you can use the odor eliminator bottle to eliminates its own new smell odor, huh? LOL.

Volusiano said:
rawhog said:
What I did was remove the buckles from the cross straps. Then I stuffed the strap in between the upholstered part of the seat and the plastic trim that conceals the adjuster rails.then I pulled the straps through, put the buckles back on, and cinched it down.
Thanks. That's pretty clever. I didn't think about removing the buckle off the strap and put it back on later. I just followed the tip and redid mine and now it looks all nice and tucked in now.

I just "flossed" (for lack of a better term) the strap from the front between the plastic trim and seat side material back to where it would stop (where a clip was I presume). I then clicked it to the mating side underneath and pulled it a little taunt. I then tucked the rest of the material in by gently pulling out on the seat material side and rolling the material under with my fingers. The cover will extend past where the seat material on the side ends (at the back) so I just continued the tuck, rolling it under; it is staying just perfectly behind the recline handle. You may need to work the material forward and aft a little to get it to smooth out but it will look the same as the other photos shown previously. I am thinking that is how Wet Okole does the install as it went quickly that way and has the same visual results as others have posted.

If you're within single charge driving range, I encourage you to take advantage of the free installation at their shop. Took them about 30 minutes.
South Coast Plaza is down the street and has ample Level 2 chargers.

TangoKilo said:
Dont bother with all the hokey and convoluted installation instructions. Its far faster to remove the 4 seat track holddown bolts (16mm), roll back the seat and install the seat cover bottom. Be mindful of the wire harness...... :x

Assuming of course you are mechanically inclined....

+1 - this approach is faster, easier and yields a superior result. No zip ties, special tools or scraped knuckles required. 16mm socket for seat bolts and a 10mm socket to disconnect the positive lead of the 12v battery.

Once you get the seats lifted and the covers on, you'll also noticed the mystery of where the plastic coated hooks is solved - they hook to each other, front to back. This is why they're plastic coated, to grab and hold each other when they have a couple of hundred pounds of American back side sitting on the bottom seat cushion.

I was finally getting around to installing the seat covers today and tomorrow. I am having trouble getting the back seats off. I was able to get one side the driver side latch off but the passenger side seems not to "pop" as described. I have tried quiet some force and various thing but does not seem to pop up. Any inputs or any one else had any issue. I should have done this before. Its hot and makes doing work on the car in garage difficult...

All I can say is that the key to getting is off is to push the seat forward (toward the back rest) before pushing it up. If the latch is stuck, maybe try pushing it down first to unstuck the latch before pushing forward and up. Maybe ask another person to help you apply some more pressure. It's also important to push it at the right place where the latch is. Maybe try it earlier in the morning when it's cooler in the car, or pre-cool it first. Also slide the front seats all the way up to give you more room to maneuver and leverage. Good luck.

After great difficult got the rear seat to pop up. Needed 2 people. Finally getting around to finishing it.. Hopefully another 20 minutes. Does any one have pictures of the front seat passenger side? I was not able to get the seat covers to be as neatly tucked inside like the driver side as there is very little space. I wanted to see if its just me or if people have figured out how to get it looking nice just like the driver side.

It sounds like the easiest way is to take the seat off (make sure you carefully disconnect the electrical harness) in order to tuck and tie everything in neatly. Otherwise it's going to be tough to get it done, but it's doable. If you have somebody in your family who's a smaller size (a smaller kid) to help out, it may make things easier.

Volusiano said:
It sounds like the easiest way is to take the seat off (make sure you carefully disconnect the electrical harness) in order to tuck and tie everything in neatly. Otherwise it's going to be tough to get it done, but it's doable. If you have somebody in your family who's a smaller size (a smaller kid) to help out, it may make things easier.
I recommend unbolting the the front seats (16mm bolts) but leave the cables connected. I propped the seats up with the box my Airport Extreme router came in and it worked fine. Save yourself some time and have medium and small zip ties handy to neaten up the loose straps.

The front seats were done the back seat is all but done and I can not figure out how to get the damn seat belts (center and passenger side) through the seat. All this I have tried single handed and I think its next to impossible doing single handed. I will try tomorrow with help. However like others have mentioned I think there has to be a something to ensure that they dont go back inside. Feels like they are bit too short. I was wondering if having something small and sturdy/hard right around the area where the belts can go inside will prevent them from slipping back in. From what I can see the seats are cushioned enough so it should not be of any discomfort to rear occupants. What do people think?

As far as the front seats are concerned, the straps are all still under the seat. I guess I should either trim them (don't like it) or folder them and zip tie them (probably better idea).

Funny that I could not understand the smell complain that other members were complaining about but now that the rear seats are put up (not finished) I can see what the complain was all about. I guess for the time I have had them with me, I could have kept them out and the smell would have gone?

Eitherways, the install is not that easy for someone who hasn't done such stuff much and doing it single person makes it even more difficult....

I am hoping I can solve the belt issue and finish the rear seat soon and feel good about it.

csriram45 said:
The front seats were done the back seat is all but done and I can not figure out how to get the damn seat belts (center and passenger side) through the seat. All this I have tried single handed and I think its next to impossible doing single handed. I will try tomorrow with help. However like others have mentioned I think there has to be a something to ensure that they dont go back inside. Feels like they are bit too short. I was wondering if having something small and sturdy/hard right around the area where the belts can go inside will prevent them from slipping back in. From what I can see the seats are cushioned enough so it should not be of any discomfort to rear occupants. What do people think?

I am hoping I can solve the belt issue and finish the rear seat soon and feel good about it.
I had the same problem you have in terms of keeping the rear seat belt buckles up high enough and remain high and not go back under. I'm surprised to not have heard from anyone else complaining about the same thing until now.

What I ended up doing for the 2 buckles that are side by side (the center and passenger side buckles) is to take a couple of zip ties and tie both of them together right below the buckles where their short anchor belts meet the buckles. The purpose of doing this is to allow them to become tethered tightly to each other so that if you put pressure to buckle up one, you can't push that buckle back down deeper because it's tied to the other one and the other one helps keep it stay in place.

For the driver side buckle, it's easy to feed it through, but it's also easy to push it back down into the hole and make it disappear with a little bit of pressure. But because it's there all by itself, I can't use the same solution as I did with the other 2 buckles. However, I still use a zip tie to create a loop under the buckle, large enough to stick a finger or two in to pull the loop up, and hence the buckle up, should it disappear into the hole. Not the most elegant solution since the loop may get in the way of buckling up a little bit, although it's trivial to move it out of the way. If anybody else has a better solution, I'm all ear.

Great instructions, they saved me a lot of frustration. Except for the rear seat reinstallation part where you say simply, "it's frustrating". :) I have one suggestion on the reinstallation of the rear seat: reach under and find the post with your hand. Now find the corresponding spot on the top of the seat. When you push down, it should feel somewhat solid. Give it a good shove and the seat will latch back in.

I was wondering if anyone with the cold weather package has removed the rear bottom cushion? I would assume there is some sort of wiring involved for the rear seat heaters. I don't think I will attempt this for fear of causing damage. Any thoughts?
Shelley

Hi - when trying to install the rear back cover, which includes the middle seatbelt - I noticed there is a small slit in the bottom which, I assume, is where the bottom of the seatbelt is supposed to feed through. Do I have to unbolt the seatbelt to accomplish this? Obviously the back portion has a Velcro enclosure to get around the top of the seatbelt, but I am not understanding how the bottom part is supposed to work. Unless I missed it somewhere, I did not read about having to remove the seatbelt connection. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Eric

ewleaf said:
..... I noticed there is a small slit in the bottom which, I assume, is where the bottom of the seatbelt is supposed to feed through. Do I have to unbolt the seatbelt to accomplish this? ...... Please help! Thanks in advance.

Eric
Eric, are you talking about the actual belt itself? If so, the entire seat cover (rear, upright part) goes BEHIND that belt.
I believe the small slits are for something else. Maybe anchoring a kiddie seat? to the bar that's right behind the slits?

I just this afternoon installed my seats. Took me getting on for two hours, and I expect a few more minutes coming up once they have settled in a bit. So congrats to the shop for the "30 minutes" someone reported!
The only tool i needed was a 16mm socket for the front seats.

I will add one tip to do with the rear seat belt sockets:
Where the double sockets come through you have to pay particular attention that you have pulled the neoprene right around the protruding seat padding. It's almost a "G" shape. If you don't, the short seat buckle straps will have to travel an extra distance and the buckles won't protrude enough to get a grip on.

2znr15e.jpg

o94z13.jpg

Shaun

Did anyone come up with a solution yet for integrating the heater controls into the center console?
I see some options for switches, and I can run wires for power and maybe illumination, but what about modulating the heat? These Wet Okole seat heaters come with a digital switch (low, med, high) which i can cut off, but is the wiring that remains compatible with the available console switches?

Thanks for any advice
Shaun

Back