We're Doomed! Top Gear team tries to drive a LEAF and fails!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEG said:
Herm said:
...Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show...

Why do UK viewers keep voting them "Best FACTUAL programme?"

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/past-winners
2011 Factual Programme Top Gear
2008 Factual Programme Top Gear
2007 Factual Programme Top Gear
2006 Factual Programme Top Gear
etc.
Well, there's your problem! They can't even spell program! :lol:

Oh please, enough with the conspiracy theories.. Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show (and even better that they make fun of greens), if you own anything besides a 2 year old Corolla you bought your car for reasons beyond practicality

Indeed and well put. Any criticism or question about EV's and the conspiracy theories, "hidden" agendas, and questionable journalistic credibility all start bobbing to the surface.

Fox, MSNBC, CNN all have selected shows in their lineup that are of opinion and analysis. This Fox News boogeyman is worn, old, and tired.

Top Gear is a well written and funny show and there's a reason it's been a hit for so long. They are an equal opportunity basher of all peoples and all types of cars.

Everything and anything with a hint of criticism towards EV's is taken so personal here. Like a slight toward anything EV is considered some sort of attack.

Some here really need to lighten up in a big way. Getting panties all bunched because someone on a car show, that's known for its hijinks, humor, and satire, made a segment poking fun at EV's and a Prius is taking things way too seriously.

Train said:
Some here really need to lighten up in a big way. Getting panties all bunched because someone on a car show, that's known for its hijinks, humor, and satire, made a segment poking fun at EV's and a Prius is taking things way too seriously.

Sorry, I won't lighten up. I bought my Leaf for what it represents: a reduction in our dependance on foreign oil and zero emission travel. I happen to believe VERY strongly that both are necessities for our modern society....and anyone who uses 'hijinks and satire' to spread FUD about EV's deserves to be slammed by people with their panties in a wad. These ridiculous stories slow down the process of public acceptance of EV's, and I consider that a bad thing.

I believe people will like EV's once they are giving a fair chance to evaluate them, but if people start their evaluation with a negative (and false) mindset because of shows like TG, well shame on TG. Ratings and profits are one thing, but cleaner air and keeping our energy $$ here in the US as opposed to in the pocket of those in the big sand-box is/are another. I will not put profits and ratings in front of our collective health and financial well-being.

Overly dramatic? Maybe. But if we don't wise up before it's too late, it might not matter at all. Unless you like endless wars for oil that drain our financial recourses and kill thousands of our troops.

:|

ElectricVehicle said:
I knew I was feeling uncomfortable. I'm a little old biddie in a sewing circle with my panties in a wad!

You are on the road to recovery, the first step is to admit you have a problem :)

Jimmydreams said:
..and anyone who uses 'hijinks and satire' to spread FUD about EV's deserves to be slammed by people with their panties in a wad. These ridiculous stories slow down the process of public acceptance of EV's, and I consider that a bad thing.

Any publicity is good publicity, you can proselytize by stopping at gas stations to buy a soda, then stand by your Leaf and talk to anyone who is interested.. and always plug the car in when you can, the more people see it plugged in the better. If you are in LA, I think some of your electricity comes from Mexico.. so you need to take care of that problem also.

Herm said:
ElectricVehicle said:
I knew I was feeling uncomfortable. I'm a little old biddie in a sewing circle with my panties in a wad!

You are on the road to recovery, the first step is to admit you have a problem :)

And put the label in the back. :p

Jimmydreams said:
Sorry, I won't lighten up. I bought my Leaf for what it represents: a reduction in our dependance on foreign oil and zero emission travel. I happen to believe VERY strongly that both are necessities for our modern society....:|

I agree 100% with Jimmy atleast give the car a fair review before making jokes of ridiculous non-common sense what if's disguised as legit reporting. Because these cars really are the future and the quicker we can stop this dangerous & wasteful oil addiction the sooner we wont have these ludicrous foreign arab oil rich oil barons plotting against us anymore. (They wont be rich enough from oil to bribe their way into power anymore).

Also we need to save precious oil supplys for jet fuels & exotic fuels and stop wasting it for just driving around town like it can never run out. It can run out and will run out esepcially at the ever increasing rate we keep using it & using it so wastefully for simple driving around town. Developing China's growing oil thirst will drain the last drops of oil even faster then we know what hit us if we dont switch to EV's for such mundane tasks as daily commutes so we can save oil for the more important fuels.

signed,
RikiTiki

mwalsh said:
TG now admits running out of juice was intentional/staged, but only to demonstrate the lack of charging infrastructure in Lincoln:

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2011/05/nissan-top-gear-lincoln-breakdown-intentional/

ha ha ha. Lack of charging insfrastructure in Lincoln? There's a lack of everything in Lincoln. I don't know what the equivalent of Lincoln is in the USA but think of a remote agricutural backwater in the middle of nowhere and you get the idea. It's like saying there's no gas station at the south pole.

If he'd run out in a major city or town with no EV charging points then I could understand his concern. Just staged nonsense - again.

Herm said:
Jimmydreams said:
..and anyone who uses 'hijinks and satire' to spread FUD about EV's deserves to be slammed by people with their panties in a wad. These ridiculous stories slow down the process of public acceptance of EV's, and I consider that a bad thing.

Any publicity is good publicity, you can proselytize by stopping at gas stations to buy a soda, then stand by your Leaf and talk to anyone who is interested.. and always plug the car in when you can, the more people see it plugged in the better. If you are in LA, I think some of your electricity comes from Mexico.. so you need to take care of that problem also.

You're right - soft of. Being a cabbie I get asked questions about my Prius taxi all the time. Most people often refer to the rubbish Clarkson (TopGear) has spouted and are surprised to find that I do get more than 30 mpg, that the car is quick and that the batteries don't need to be replaced every 50k miles.

I don't believe any publicity is good publicity as people hear the false nonsense and remember it. I still get people tell me that a Prius damages the environment more than a Jeep because Jeeps last longer - remember that fud from Jeep years ago?

The reasons some cite here for their EV purchase is the very definition of FUD. Fire and brimstone, Jehovah Witness type ecological sensationalism will do more to turn people away than convert.

"Public acceptance" of EV's will not be based upon some satirical car show. Nor by the rantings of some who seem to think that 99+% clean internal combustion engined cars could possibly change the climate of a planet enough to cause global catastrophe.

Success of EV's will be based upon the merits and practicality of the product itself.

Of course it was staged. I think they actually demonstrated the strength and practicality of the electric vehicle. I mean if he had a gasoline vehicle out of fuel he may have had to push or walk several miles to buy a gas can and some gas. But with the easy to plug in Leaf they just rolled it up to a building and start charging ;)

I think this is a google map showing the university and gasoline stations

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...3.233989,-0.547514&spn=0.036167,0.111151&z=14

Well thats just dumb.. Lest demo an EV but not Charge it and see what happens.. Stupid.. No wounder we revolted. ! :)

GrumpyCabbie said:
I don't know what the equivalent of Lincoln is in the USA but think of a remote agricutural backwater in the middle of nowhere and you get the idea. It's like saying there's no gas station at the south pole.

Lincoln, California

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Lincoln,+CA&aq=1&sll=38.891565,-121.293008&sspn=0.110629,0.254402&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Lincoln,+Placer,+California&t=h&z=13

Train said:

The reasons some cite here for their EV purchase is the very definition of FUD. Fire and brimstone, Jehovah Witness type ecological sensationalism will do more to turn people away than convert.

"Public acceptance" of EV's will not be based upon some satirical car show. Nor by the rantings of some who seem to think that 99+% clean internal combustion engined cars could possibly change the climate of a planet enough to cause global catastrophe.
Sorry Train - you've just 'committed' anti-science FUD. Congrats! And welcome to the 'dark side'...

Train said:
Success of EV's will be based upon the merits and practicality of the product itself.
Of course it will! And EVs will succeed in spite of the rantings of both groups - those that can't see what's in front of their face AND those that are pro-ICE.

AndyH said:
Train said:
Of course it will! And EVs will succeed in spite of the rantings of both groups - those that can't see what's in front of their face AND those that are pro-ICE.
Yup, and I think it's imminently practical to become stewards of our planet and not arbitrary exlpoiters. I thinks it's really practical to take care of the planet, so future generations, including my kids, can live in and take care of a habbitable world. If you put any creedence into the findings of the majority of climate scientists, we need to change our ways and adapt for our own long term survival. I think the survival of future generations is an extremely practical consideration. EVs are part of the solution.

Herm said:
...Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show...

Along with getting all those "Best Factual Programme" awards, my program guide says they are educational, not entertainment...
attachment.php

Back