We're Doomed! Top Gear team tries to drive a LEAF and fails!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
As much as I love TG, the result of this challenge was entirely predictable, if not expected:

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2011/05/top-gear-crew-stops-by-lincoln/

http://thelinc.co.uk/2011/05/top-gear-make-surprise-stop-in-the-city/

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Gear-s-Jeremy-Clarkson-James-break-Lincoln/article-3551798-detail/article.html

There seems to be a trend developing here. First the Tesla "breaks" and has to be pushed, now the Leaf. I wonder if this breakdown was scripted before hand as well.

Stig left Top Gear. Some small part of his reasons may have been their (mis-)treatment of Electrics.

Stig, (Ben Collins) formerly of Top Gear reviewed the LEAF:
Collins' glowing review of the Leaf will shine positive light on the company's breakthrough electric vehicle.

Collins had a few quibbles with the Leaf's feather-light steering and the mild front-wheel slippage that occurred while cornering, but all in all, the ex-Stig was mightily impressed. Here's a few excerpts from the glowing review:

Its electric motor and silent running gear ensure the only indication of motion is the rush of air as the carefully crafted suspension glides you along the road. The Leaf is such a cushioned ride that the wheels caress manhole covers. All in all, it is superbly balanced, with its weighty battery cells fitted into the chassis floor to help plant the vehicle to the road.
While on-road abilities are certainly important, Collins seemed most enamored with the Leaf's electric aura, stating:

Climbing aboard the Leaf is like stepping inside an iPod. The controls illuminate like a nightclub and chime a few soothing chords - the first and final sounds you hear from this machine.

The ex-Stig closed out the review with this remark:

Electric-powered vehicles were pioneered more than 100 years ago, so it's remarkable that the powers shaping human history have managed to conceal their advantages for so long. The secret is finally out and the dawn of a new driving era is arriving.
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/05/video-ex-stig-says-nissan-leaf-is-a-driveable-ipod/

Oh yesss. It would seem TG will be having alot of fun with EV's this season. In the comments, people (the students) posted links to YouTube videos of what really happened. It was all very set-up and scripted as typical TG stuff is. They already had recovery trucks on scene hours before the EV's arrived. Heavy sigh.

remember what these guys did to a 1st-gen prius? basically, the show is simply entertainment. however, there are probably people who take their "reviews" at face value.

camasleaf said:
Did they read the manual before they drove the cars? When an ICE runs out of gas, do we say it "broke"?
They do it on purpose. I'm sure they are perfectly capable of operating the vehicle properly despite how dumb they act on the show.
=Smidge=

Jeremy is admittedly anti-electric as he favors hydrogen... Besides what fun would the show be if the succeeded? Yawn...

Top Gear is a well oiled machine which generates millions worldwide and is powered by petro and diesel fuel. They sing to the tune of the roar from high power engines and the team's personalities are colorful but certainly don't include the color green.

Can't fathom the thought of any one of them supporting EV as it'll only kill their viewership. Just have to leave it to celebrity car enthusiasts like Jay Leno who won't lose their supporters for praising EV in casting the positive light to the public.

There had been a number of columns from Top Gear's site that covered the Leaf last year. Most of which are rather fair though you can smell the negativity at the corners.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-leaf-2009-08-03
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-leaf-sunderland-2010-03-18
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-leaf-driven-2010-07-26

astrorob said:
remember what these guys did to a 1st-gen prius? basically, the show is simply entertainment. however, there are probably people who take their "reviews" at face value.
That is the reason Tesla has sued them. They were being asked by investors in Europe to explain what TopGear said.

TopeGear is not a "simply entertainment" show. They push an agenda and hide behind "simply entertainment" slogan. It is like what Fox News calls "opinion" and mixes that all the timw with "news".

evnow said:
astrorob said:
That is the reason Tesla has sued them. They were being asked by investors in Europe to explain what TopGear said.

TopeGear is not a "simply entertainment" show. They push an agenda and hide behind "simply entertainment" slogan. It is like what Fox News calls "opinion" and mixes that all the timw with "news".

i suppose that's true. i guess i meant to say that i just take their show as entertainment - i mean, who doesn't want to see a veyron run up to it's maximum speed? as far as alternative motive powers, yeah, they are the fox news of car shows.

I must admit I'm a big fan of Top Gear.

That being said, their hatchet-job on Tesla did border on libelous, imho.

It's one thing to poke fun and use hyperbole, but it's another to feign or manufacture problems when presenting something in a factual matter. If you're being facetious you really do need to leave some clues. I've been told that British humor cuts a fine line in these matters, so perhaps I'm not culturally equipped to make a judgement. But from what I read, men in silly wigs will eventually do so.

Given the Tesla treatment, the LEAF stunt seems true to form. It may all boil down to tone of voice and a sparkle in the eye to see just where they fall on the line between maliciousness and teasing. In any case, probably better than having a piano fall on the car. :)

Nubo said:
I've been told that British humor cuts a fine line in these matters, so perhaps I'm not culturally equipped to make a judgement. But from what I read, men in silly wigs will eventually do so.

i dunno man, the 1st gen prius segment consisted of clarkson driving it around with the most sour, glum look on his face... his expression didn't even seem humanly possible to me. he spent the whole time complaining about what a boring car it was, and then by the end decided the only thing the car was good for was target practice. so they destroyed a perfectly good car with a .50 caliber automatic rifle.

there's just nothing subtle or 'monty python' about that...

davewill said:
Yawn...can't they even come up with new schtick?

My thoughts too.

How about an off roading session in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's? Or maybe a daily commute into the city using these vehicles?

It's just the same old nonsense from Clarkson. He hates electrical vehicles (being a good friend of the Sultan of Brunei) and tries to find their weak spot. Hey its got a range of 100 miles so lets drive it 800 and laugh at how long it takes. Yeah, really funny Jezza. I've got an idea for you, why not register a Lambo as a taxi and then slag it off and make fun because it cost more to run that it earnt in money.

The guys a knob and I think the varnish is peeling off Top Gear.

Nubo said:
I've been told that British humor cuts a fine line in these matters, so perhaps I'm not culturally equipped to make a judgement.
Humour is not something anyone can hide behind when they don't have journalistic integrity. Using prejudice and stale stereotypes (like Jay Leno) is lazy and not humourous at all.

evnow said:

Oh please, enough with the conspiracy theories.. Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show (and even better that they make fun of greens), if you own anything besides a 2 year old Corolla you bought your car for reasons beyond practicality.

They say any publicity is good, I think Tesla sued for the publicity factor also, as their company is going into a rough stretch.

Herm said:
...Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show...

Why do UK viewers keep voting them "Best FACTUAL programme?"

http://www.nationaltvawards.com/past-winners
2011 Factual Programme Top Gear
2008 Factual Programme Top Gear
2007 Factual Programme Top Gear
2006 Factual Programme Top Gear
etc.

Back