Well, I ~thought~ I had the charge timers figured out...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atebit

I have Timer 1 set for Mon-Friday 80% charge, start time 21:10 end time 05:50 (to comply with my off-peak usage plan). Weekends after 21:00 Friday through 06:00 Monday are considered off-peak, so timers for Sat and Sun are set to "OFF" in the dashboard.

So my expectation is that if I plug the car in before 21:10 during the week, it won't start charging until then, and it will finish up by 05:50 the next morning. That much seems to work. However, my expectation is that if I plug in anytime on Saturday or Sunday, the car should immediately start charging towards 100%, since there are no timers set for those days.

Instead, when I plug in on Saturday or Sunday with Timer 1 activated, I get the three sequential lights meaning the car is waiting on the timer to charge, and I have to go and hit the override button to get it to charge immediately.

So it almost seems like the car wants to wait until 21:10 Monday evening to start charging, even though the timer setting is OFF for Saturday and Sunday. Am I missing something fundamental about the way these charge timers are supposed to work?

Yes you have to back it up a day. So instead of Mon-Fri you have to do Sun-Thurs. That's what I had to do. I guess the off time falls on the following day.

While that may work, the OP is misunderstanding how the timers work. Just because there is no timer set for the day doesn't mean that it then switches over to "immediately charge" mode. Rather, the car interprets it as: you don't want me to charge until Monday, so I won't.

If you are not using Timer 2, try setting Timer 2 to go from midnight to midnight on Saturday and Sunday. Then you'll get the desired behavior.

yes that seems to be correct. I set my Fri-Sat timer 2 to 8PM to 8PM. But this one also is backed up by a day.

lpickup said:
While that may work, the OP is misunderstanding how the timers work. Just because there is no timer set for the day doesn't mean that it then switches over to "immediately charge" mode. Rather, the car interprets it as: you don't want me to charge until Monday, so I won't.

If you are not using Timer 2, try setting Timer 2 to go from midnight to midnight on Saturday and Sunday. Then you'll get the desired behavior.

Well, if that's the case then IMHO Nissan needs to go the "Best" programmable thermostat route and let us program each day independently. Two timers for the whole week aren't flexible enough.

Or, modify the timer override so a quick push charges to 80% and a long push charges to 100% for times I would need Timers 3-7. :)

The only problem I see with going from midnight to midnight is that you are effectively losing 9 PM to midnight Friday(s) night, and 12 AM to 6 AM Monday(s) morning.

This looks right to me, as garygid suggested:

Sun - Thurs: 21 (that day) - 6 (the next day)
F - Sat: 21 (that day) - 21 (the next day)

Our TOU (on-peak) is 6A to 10P Mon-Fri, but otherwise this method seems to work fine. Not exactly intuitive, as the ending times are typically into the next day.

~kite

Yes, the ending times are always LATER THAN the start times,
even if the time has to be in the next day.

Strange ancient Japanese concept:
A task unstarted cannot be finished.

garygid said:
Sun - Thurs: 21 (that day) - 6 (the next day)
F - Sat: 21 (that day) - 21 (the next day)

I am not a charge timer expert, so I was wondering what happens on Sunday at 21:00 when control switches between the two timers. Will it stop charging at 21:00 on the end of Timer 2 and then immediately start charging again as Timer 1 is set up for? Or does it continuously keep charging, without interruption because the two times are the same?

Also, I was wondering something else about the timers. When pressing the override button, does the car then record that as an attempt to or an actual charge to 100% as kept in the battery history? What if charging is stopped long before 80%, what does the battery log record that as?

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
now you know why i dont use timers
Do you always charge to 100%?
If not, how do you charge to 80% or whatever?

no. i have actually had several major life changes, (jobs and what not) and i always charged manually. other than experimental reasons, i have not charged to 100% more than say 3-4 times a week. (approximately 30% of my 100 % charges has come in the last 45 days)

i do have an advantage in that i dont have TOU (but neither do you) so if i am charging to 100% i simply plug it in just before bed.

otherwise if i need more charge than i already have, i typically plug it in when i get home which is either around 4-6 if i am driving, 8:30 if SO is driving. then plug in and unplug before going to bed.

for a while i was doing 50 miles per day mostly freeway. i would time charge it most days to charge to 90%. its not rocket science by any means. i usually plug in, log into carwings from phone. check "time to charge" subtract an hour.

for example if its says time to charge 4 hours and its 6 PM then "real" time to charge will most likely be 3.5 hours so i will set alarm on phone for 9 pm and unplug.

most days i am not so formal though. i will determine how much charge i need and time to charge and plug in based on my expected bedtime and yes there has been times i forgot to unplug so had 100% instead the planned 70% or whatever.

**edit** one other thing. i want my battery to stay as close to 50% as much as possible which is not very much. so in that sense, i felt that 80% was too much in some cases, not enough in others and just right about 3% of the time.

i saw no reason to dedicate my Packs SOC to the "3 %" solution

OK, but that sounds like too much work for me.
I find using one timer to charge to 80% not at all complicated - very easy to set-up and understand.
Charge from 12 noon to 12 noon, plug in any time, done deal. ;)

And sub3marathonman's questions remain unanswered. :(

right. and I love that.

I need something at work, so I can stop at 70%.
yes, I can do the math and someone just above came up with the idea of minus one hour on the dashboard time-till-80% read out.
but i was wanting a stop charge for away games.

thankyouOB said:
right. and I love that.

I need something at work, so I can stop at 70%.
yes, I can do the math and someone just above came up with the idea of minus one hour on the dashboard time-till-80% read out.
but i was wanting a stop charge for away games.

You could use a remote desktop app like LogMeIn, remotely control your home computer and access its intranet. That should work.

Back