Weird Repair Scenario

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkRobinson

We submitted our 2011 Leaf for a recall a month ago, and paid for the routine maintenance to be done for several hundred dollars. This week a warning light started coming on, which the manual says is the EV system. The dealer thinks a water pump is blowing a fuse and the "modulator" needs replacement, and this is all estimated to be more than $1900 dollars, and they don't have the parts.

I've been buying new Japanese cars for 20 years plus. NEVER have had this sort of gremlin repair on a car with this few miles, about 25K. Very unhappy. I think were going to extract it from this dealer and go to a second dealer for a second opinion. The car charges and drives quite normally aside from this warning light which comes on every other time we drive it. We drive very short hops in this car, typically 10-15 miles per day.

MarkRobinson said:
We submitted our 2011 Leaf for a recall a month ago, and paid for the routine maintenance to be done for several hundred dollars. This week a warning light started coming on, which the manual says is the EV system. The dealer thinks a water pump is blowing a fuse and the "modulator" needs replacement, and this is all estimated to be more than $1900 dollars, and they don't have the parts.

I've been buying new Japanese cars for 20 years plus. NEVER have had this sort of gremlin repair on a car with this few miles, about 25K. Very unhappy. I think were going to extract it from this dealer and go to a second dealer for a second opinion. The car charges and drives quite normally aside from this warning light which comes on every other time we drive it. We drive very short hops in this car, typically 10-15 miles per day.

After you "collect" your car you could check the fault codes using Leaf Spy Pro, an Android phone/tablet and an ODB2 bluetooth device. See topic here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkRobinson said:
We submitted our 2011 Leaf for a recall a month ago, and paid for the routine maintenance to be done for several hundred dollars.

There is no maintenance item, short of new tires, that would come close to several hundred dollars. Can you share what maintenance the dealership did?

As far as parts availability- this is a major problem with the LEAF. It took several months for Nissan to get my new light assemblies for my LEAF when they cracked. The replacement lights lasted a year and cracked again. The lack of parts availability right now is the primary reason I will not purchase a LEAF or recommend the LEAF to anyone.

Just a guess here but imagine this scenario. They change the coolant, and leave an air bubble in the system. The electric pump occasionally cavitates on the bubble and blows the fuse.
Did they do a coolant service. If so have them redo the coolant service with a vacuum type coolant tool.

The power train (which includes the entire EV system) is covered by 5-year, 60,000-mile factory warranty so there should be no cost for repairs in the USA. If you are in another country, check the warranty terms carefully before paying for any EV system repairs.

Gerry

Back