Webchat w/Mark Perry today @ 1:00PM CDT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
I missed this, and Mark did respond to one of my questions:

We are running 13 lines using 13 different colors (not all for LEAF). We can fit in a green if we drop another color.
also they had question if you want to buy green Leaf at the end of the chat. You want one Tony?

lpickup said:
ebill3 said:
So, I asked three times how and at what cost for an update - no response.

Yes I was pretty disappointed I didn't get a "real" answer. I suspect the real answer would not have been good news. Plus, didn't he misspell NAVTEQ?

Navteq website shows a better map than I have in my vehicle. Clicked on the links to upgrade and it took me to the Nisan owners portal. Looks like Nissan is willing to charge me for an upgrade. Not sure they are going to provide them for free. You would think we could get at least the most current version for free when we purchase the car.

The only green I've ever liked was a metallic one I had on my Mazda truck many years back... My favorite is red. I really don't care much for white in general and the Leaf silver is simply boring... Black is just too darn hard to keep clean.

TonyWilliams said:
Green is a tough color to get "right". Yes, I'd probably like the right color green, but so far, my current favorite colors are black, white, and red.

TomT said:
The only green I've ever liked was a metallic one I had on my Mazda truck many years back... My favorite is red. I really don't care much for white in general and the Leaf silver is simply boring... Black is just too darn hard to keep clean.

TonyWilliams said:
Green is a tough color to get "right". Yes, I'd probably like the right color green, but so far, my current favorite colors are black, white, and red.

I agree with you on black. I like it; I don't want to clean it. I think we had our first two black LEAFs at a San Diego event last weekend (with dozens representing other colors).

My car is red, and I get lots of compliments on it.

palmermd said:
1:03
Comment From EK
What is the status on the affordable Nissan-branded DC Quick Charge stations? Are there any plans to roll out these DC Quick Charge stations to Nissan dealerships that are located near major interstate highways?

1:04
Mark Perry: DC fast charging is coming very soon. We are finalizing specifications and hope to start sales this Spring

Does this mean we have to wait almost another year!!

This is very slow for you people in CA (most EV) but either way I do not expect any this year in OK

Notice that he couldn't talk about the future battery and that the 6.6 kw charger will be "an option." I think we are in for a positive increase in battery capacity, probably 35-50 kwh (just a guess). That way they can still fully charge in 8 hr.

Reddy.

Unfortunately, my question didn't make it to the screen: "Are you going to update the firmware so we can have fan only when it is less than 60 degrees?" Probably didn't want to answer that one (No).

Stoaty said:
Unfortunately, my question didn't make it to the screen: "Are you going to update the firmware so we can have fan only when it is less than 60 degrees?" Probably didn't want to answer that one (No).
I asked that twice

I think is great we had a chance to ask, Mark Perry should have a record of all questions.
can you list your questions that did not make it?

The 6.6kW charger being an option is big news.. perhaps they are doing the same as Tesla and just offering a 2nd 3.3kW charger in a piggy back configuration. An entrepreneur could offer that option on the aftermarket.

palmermd said:
Navteq website shows a better map than I have in my vehicle. Clicked on the links to upgrade and it took me to the Nisan owners portal. Looks like Nissan is willing to charge me for an upgrade. Not sure they are going to provide them for free. You would think we could get at least the most current version for free when we purchase the car.

I went to the NAVTEQ store website and it sent me here: Nissan Map Update Store which does kind of look like the Nissan owners portal, but different URL. Anyway, both 2012 and 2011 LEAFs apparently have the "most up to date" map. :roll:

I looked around at other models and it looks like the prices range from $99 to $199 ( :shock:) for updates. I'm going to guess that because the LEAF's map needs "charging stations" on it, that they'll probably be in the high end of this price.

I guess my take is this: if I had a gas vehicle that I could easily drive anywhere, then okay, it makes sense to get an update for the whole US and Canada, and okay, there's a significant amount of IP that I need to "pay" for. Although seriously how can think that's competitive when each one of their quarterly updates cost as much as an entire portable unit with lifetime free updates AND traffic? But with my LEAF, realistically it's never going to leave a 200 mile radius of my home. Maybe 250. Why are they making me pay for all that IP that I really can never use?

lpickup said:
Although seriously how can think that's competitive when each one of their quarterly updates cost as much as an entire portable unit with lifetime free updates AND traffic?

Its just supply and demand, you cant compare a Leaf upgrade that they will sell perhaps 1000 in 10 years to several hundred thousands of a Tom-Tom GPS unit.. big time apple and oranges.

I asked if they could comment on newsarticles mentioning new battery chemistry coming online in 2015. While it's understandable that they might not want to talk about it, I thought that it was innocuous. Several manufacturers are already using NMC, so in a way, it's yesterday's news.

Herm said:
The 6.6kW charger being an option is big news.. perhaps they are doing the same as Tesla and just offering a 2nd 3.3kW charger in a piggy back configuration. An entrepreneur could offer that option on the aftermarket.
An easy dealer nibble for the service department to get another 2k and throw in the 2nd board and software on 2013 units.. Re Tesla, I think they are stacking 10kW chargers.

Back