Walgreens Installing 800 Charge Stations before 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

I'd hate to have to wait around Walgreens for 2 or 3 hours ... but apparently SOME of the 800 may include DC Quick Charge . Now THAT's good news! After all, I can only can't eat so many ice cream sandwiches in 15 minutes ... 2 or 3 hours is a different story.

http://www.solarnovus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3248:ev-charging-stations-coming-to-800-walgreens-stores&catid=41:applications-tech-news&Itemid=245

Mark Wagner, Walgreens president of Community Management and Operations, said that according to the US Department of Energy (DOE), Walgreens will make up as much as 40% of all public EV charging stations in the US.

So far they have one Walgreens station in Dallas Fort Worth area,
so they have 5 months to do 799 more.
A look at the website of their supplier, eVgo, looks like they better get busy!!
This would be truly awesome- some unnamed but lame public charge promisers make me sceptical though....

dcarter

Walgreens already has installations underway for EV charging stations at more than 60 stores across: Houston, Texas; Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas; and Chicago, Illinois.
Hmmm ....

marccbr said:
San Diego was left out to and we are one of the major EV hotspots. Lots of Walgreens here too.
Maybe they consider San Diego as being within L.S.'s purview, and are thus, included?

This is looking very promising. The contract has been signed with Car Charging Group and Coulomb ChargePoint for Walgreens. ChargePoint has been the one actually delivering the goods on this infrastructure thing so this is very good news. Who knows, maybe they CAN get this done by the end of the year.

http://www.coulombtech.com/blog/tag/walgreens/

How does the above press release wash with the OP link citing EvGo stations? Or are those the 60 already underway? If so, they have clearly changed horses in mid stream with the new ChargePoint contract... not that I'm complaining.

Just an FYI, the EvGo L3 unit at the Walgreens in Dallas is inoperable as of this past Saturday afternoon. It looked like the L2 unit was working, it at least had power.

Walgreens charge stations might not be so useful after all. If they follow through on plans to set the electricity price higher than the equivalent cost of gasoline, the charging stations will be useful mainly as an emergency alternative to a tow truck - not as an incentive to center a shopping trip on a Walgreen's store.

On the brighter side, 1/3 of the stations will be L3 quick charge stations, for which could be worth the high price now and then for convenience. Back on the dim side, they plan to start the charging stations deployment with little regard to where there are EV's to use them: "Boston, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C."

http://www.plugincars.com/questionable-price-structure-walgreens-electric-car-charging-107402.html

If they install any locally I'd want to use them a little, just to give Walgreens and other companies the idea that retail charging stations can be popular. But not so much as to give them the idea that price doesn't matter.

L3 chargers should be expensive, to encourage you to charge at home overnight and to promote charger availability when you need it. L2 charger for $1 an hour starts to sound iffy but at least it guarantees an open spot when you need it.

dcarter said:
So far they have one Walgreens station in Dallas Fort Worth area,
so they have 5 months to do 799 more.
A look at the website of their supplier, eVgo, looks like they better get busy!!
This would be truly awesome- some unnamed but lame public charge promisers make me sceptical though....

dcarter

$79.99 a month with a 3 year commitment if you want to use the EVGO chargers in Dallas :(

They just installed a single chargepoint charger (Looks like L2) at both Walgreens here in Folsom CA. There are symbols on the charger for VISA MC etc. Wonder if you have to swipe your card to use it?

They are all like that. Chargepoints are typically free and the Sacramento Walgreens appear to be free so far as well. Still waiting for the Walgreens down the hill to install. It's on the roll out "map" and I am hoping for an L3 since it will help connect San Diego for EVs coming or going that way.

vin944 said:
They just installed a single chargepoint charger (Looks like L2) at both Walgreens here in Folsom CA. There are symbols on the charger for VISA MC etc. Wonder if you have to swipe your card to use it?

Assuming it's a Coulomb charger, you need to signup for an RFID card / account before you can use it. The one in a parking structure near where I live displays credit card symbols but the digital display says "FREE." So does it cost - not necessarily. Go back, go up to it and see what it says... it won't bite ;-)

EricBayArea said:
vin944 said:

Assuming it's a Coulomb charger, you need to signup for an RFID card / account before you can use it. The one in a parking structure near where I live displays credit card symbols but the digital display says "FREE." So does it cost - not necessarily. Go back, go up to it and see what it says... it won't bite ;-)

Just out of curiosity I will do that and report back....................... :?

I stopped by one of the two in Folsom at the Riley and Glenn Wallgreens yesterday at lunch and charged up for free using my ChargePass RFID card.

LEAFer said:
Two more Walgreens in Elk Grove should be online by end of this week:

9200 Elk Grove Florin Road
7299 Laguna Blvd
I inaugurated the 7299 Laguna Blvd location today !

Thanked the Manager on Duty (Brett). Bought an Arizona Ice Tea (on special: $0.55!), should have bought more, but not enough time to do real shopping, will go back for sundries, etc tomorrow. He was positively surprised and supportive.

208V (nominal) up to 30A. Worked just as expected. My ChargePoint Account correctly recorded the 13 minutes of usage, but interestingly the address shown in the usage history is <blank> ! And the station does not yet show up on CP maps.

Back