Voltec timer issues with Climate / Charge timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hambrook

I bought a Vauxhall / Opel Voltec Charging that I installed in my garage with the long orange trailing cable threaded through the door frame and ready to just plug into the car. It's been working great with the added flexibility of 6amp or 10amp charging meaning I can maximise my charge from my Solar panels.

IMG_4583_zpsce587808.jpg

The one thing that isn't working is the Climate Control Timer or remote climate control, it simply does not 'start' when plugged into the Voltec charger.

We have the timer set for 8.10am which means the car preheats for that departure time and it worked fine with the supplied Nissan EVSE cable. This morning I sat in the car and also sent a remote signal from my iPhone to switch the Climate on, the car beeped, the green plugged in light briefly lit then nothing happened. However if I removed the J1772 and reconnected, hence starting the charge again, it would then spark the climate control into life.

Has anyone read anywhere else about this incompatibility? It's as though the Voltec charger won't come out of stand-by, once the LEAF has finished charging, yet if you unplug and re-connect it works fine as though it's been kicked back into life.

Does climate control timer / remote work with other charging stations?

I have a voltec and a aerovironment unit. I typically use the voltec for my Leaf and my wife uses the aerovironment on her Volt.

I've only told my car to preheat itself about 3 times this year. So far today was the only time that worked. in my mind I attributed it before to carwings being on the fritz. However, now that I think about it, this morning my car was plugged into the aerovironment unit. So I suppose I'll have to keep my eye on this and see if there is any future correlation.

Some EVSEs are designed to not allow a second charging session
to start until they sense being unplugged from the car (getting
+ 12v on the Control Pilot).

Typically you can only test this by using the car's charging timer
to charge for perhaps an hour each day, leaving the car plugged
into the EVSE for more than 24 hours. Then, watch to see is
the second day's charging session starts as expected.

Or, after a short on-off session that the EVSE might consider an error,
it will not reset to start another charge session. This short on-off
session is usually done by the LEAF when it is operated on end-timer
only, because the car needs to "sample" the Voltage in order to
calculate the estimated charge time.

Back