Valet parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He parked it...another valet brought it back after dinner...and.........I tipped him. They've all driven other cars with the keyless start buttons, it's not that big a deal.

Even after a month the shifter seems unnatural for me...
I have a manual transmission on my other car and man, Leaf shifter looks and feels so much as a manual shifter (so you need to move left before you switch D or R, instead of push a button and move stick backwards in most automatic) so my instinct is always to "get into first gear" to drive, which appears to be a reverse in Leaf... So I wonder if valets are having same problem... I can easily switch between manual and automatic, but switching between manual and leaf... Man... the good thing is I don't drive my gas guzzler much anymore :)

Yep, I did the same thing from time to time for the first number of months. Maybe it's because most all of my cars have always been sticks... I learned to double check the dash to make sure I was in the "gear" I wanted to be... It seems backwards to me too but apparently they wanted to replicate an automatic transmission quadrant...

UkrainianKozak said:
Even after a month the shifter seems unnatural for me...
I have a manual transmission on my other car and man, Leaf shifter looks and feels so much as a manual shifter (so you need to move left before you switch D or R, instead of push a button and move stick backwards in most automatic) so my instinct is always to "get into first gear" to drive, which appears to be a reverse in Leaf...

It's the same basic pattern as the Prius shifter knob, so I never thought twice about it.

I didn't bother me on the Prius either, despite my going to it from a manual.

UkrainianKozak said:
Anyone dared to give the Leaf to Valet?
How did it go?
Better yet, has anybody given the LEAF to a valet without giving him the key? Wanna guess what happens?

Answer: as long as the LEAF is not turned off, it can be driven without the key. (That is why the LEAF beeps several times if you get out and walk away while it's on.)

aqn said:
UkrainianKozak said:
Anyone dared to give the Leaf to Valet?
How did it go?
Better yet, has anybody given the LEAF to a valet without giving him the key? Wanna guess what happens?

Answer: as long as the LEAF is not turned off, it can be driven without the key. (That is why the LEAF beeps several times if you get out and walk away while it's on.)
True. But he won't be able to start it to bring it back! :)

davewill said:
It's the same basic pattern as the Prius shifter knob, so I never thought twice about it.

I didn't bother me on the Prius either, despite my going to it from a manual.
+1
aqn said:
Heck ... several Leafs (including ours) beep, EVEN when you turn 'em off. Very strange.

aqn said:
LEAFguy said:
That's correct: he can drive it... until he turns it off.
Fortunately for me, this was at one of my regular haunts where the valets always park my vehicle in a "prime spot" very near the entrance.

hill said:
Heck ... several Leafs (including ours) beep, EVEN when you turn 'em off. Very strange.
The LEAF beeps continuously in four-beep bursts if you have the door open when you push the button to turn it off. I dunno what for.

The LEAF beeps continuously in four-beep bursts if you have the door open when you push the button to turn it off. I dunno what for.

Yeah. Curious and annoying. You have to close the door and re-open it to get it to stop beeping.

aqn said:
aqn said:
LEAFguy said:
That's correct: he can drive it... until he turns it off.
The LEAF seems to turn off after about 5 minutes if left on without the key inside. How do I know? Well, let's just say it's a good thing the passenger who I left in the car with the A/C running was not a small child or pet!! :shock:

Not mine. My wife was in it for nearly 30 minutes waiting for me with it on and the AC running the whole time while I was inside a store with the key in my pocket...

johnr said:
The LEAF seems to turn off after about 5 minutes if left on without the key inside. How do I know? Well, let's just say it's a good thing the passenger who I left in the car with the A/C running was not a small child or pet!!

mogur said:
Not mine. My wife was in it for nearly 30 minutes waiting for me with it on and the AC running the whole time while I was inside a store with the key in my pocket...
Are you sure you don't have a spare key in the car? If there's a keyfob in the car, then it won't turn off on its own. Or, maybe your car has a different firmware version?

Not to rehash an old topic here, but what is reality of driving the LEAF without the key? Is there a time or distance limit to how long the LEAF will run once the key is removed from the cabin or will it run until the operator turns it off?

NOGASHOLE said:
Not to rehash an old topic here, but what is reality of driving the LEAF without the key? Is there a time or distance limit to how long the LEAF will run once the key is removed from the cabin or will it run until the operator turns it off?
I have no idea. You can just try it (and please report back). I believe that the car will continue to operate, until it's turned off.

Been to a valet once in the Leaf, and it was only because the valet had a charging station there. No problems with the car, although the valet said I was the first one to plug in with them :D

Well, I accidentally pushed the button twice one morning at work and didn't realize my car was still on. When I came back to it 9 hours later, it was still on.

I have left my LEAF in Park and walked away assuming the that it couldn't be driven without the key. I guess I was wrong.

Yesterday, I started the car at the house and left the key on the porch. I was able to drive to the end of the street and back. The "No Key" warning light comes on, but there doesn't seem to be any indication the car will stop operating. I would have gone further, I just didn't want find out the it does stop at some point and be stuck without the key.

I did see a post on here before from someone who left the fob on the back bumper while the hatch was up (I think it was a surfer?). He shut the hatch, started the car, drove home, and realized after shutting the car off that he did not have his keys. :eek:

Back